Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet another stupid question. On my valve, it has on res, and pri.

I know that pri is prime, but what is that used for? do I switch to pri, then to on, so it fills the bowls? ( like "squeezing the bulb" on a boat motor) I still don't have this bike running, but have torn apart, rebuilt, cleaned, tore apart again, because the fuel kept leaking out when it is in the pri position..... Like an idiot, I didn't figure out that there was no OFF position.:BLAM: Now that I know, I just need to know what the purpose of the "pri" position is for.

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
227 Posts
in the on (down) position the petcock uses engine vacuum to allow fuel flow. In the pri (back) it does not have the loss of vacuum to turn it off. I use the prime to fill the float bowls after having the carbs off and on the not so rare times that I don't remember to fill her with fuel. (I live on the top off a hill and the nearest gas station is at the bottom of it, enough said)

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
The off position will actually be the "on" position if the petcock works correctly and the motor has not been turned over for a few minutes (the vacume should dissipate). Also even on pri, you should not get gas leaking out unless there is a problem with the petcock or (more likely) a problem with the float valves in the carbs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
gas leaking at feul shut off

I also am having gas leaking from shutoff valve. It leaks from between the diaphragm area.I removed tank and tried tightening four phillips screws ,but no fix. I have ordered a new valve (before I realized a diaphram could be bought for about forty dollars less) for $65 at bike bandit (ugh!).Has anyone else expierienced this and does anyone know of a oem parts site other than bike bandit.: :(

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would take apart the petcock. If the diaphram is obviously messed up, then that might be your problem. My bike was leaking fuel intermittently, but as the miles wore on, more often then not. It would leak when running, but not when shut down. Really baffling me. THe whole petcock was wet, and fuel was dripping down the back of the tank. I took it apart, and found a really messed up diaphram. I'm guessing it was put in wrong at one time.

Still the petcock was wet, fuel was dripping off of it. But the funny thing was, the tank wouldln't leak a drop off the bike, but only when on the bike. I got in close and finally realized that fuel could be seen leaking out in front of the petcock. Turns out, the left side mounting bracket had been cracked before, patched by some previous owner, but it had cracked again.

Moral of the story is that a cracked tank can appear to be a leaky petcock, and cause you a lot of wonder and grief as you tear into things trying to fix them.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Sorry you've has such a bad experience with BB. They've been fine with me. If you want an alternate site, www.ronayers.com has OEM parts for our bikes. They generally charge less for the part but minimum ground shipping is $8.00 and it takes them a week just to process your order with another week to get the part to you. If time is not an object, they are fine though their return policy is about as draconian as BB. Make sure you are ordering the right part and all will be well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
bkyser said:
I have yet another stupid question. On my valve, it has on res, and pri.

I know that pri is prime, but what is that used for? do I switch to pri, then to on, so it fills the bowls? ( like "squeezing the bulb" on a boat motor) I still don't have this bike running, but have torn apart, rebuilt, cleaned, tore apart again, because the fuel kept leaking out when it is in the pri position..... Like an idiot, I didn't figure out that there was no OFF position.:BLAM: Now that I know, I just need to know what the purpose of the "pri" position is for.

Thanks
Bob
the PRI position is for prime. if you run the bike out of fuel, you set that to PRI for a few seconds and then start it and then put it back to on...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts