Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
I am new to this site. I have been interested in bikes for a while but have never really gotten going with it. Yesterday I passed a neighbors house and he had an 85 vulcan 750 out in his yard with a sign on it "needs a little work, best offer". I stopped and talked, he has had the bike for 8 years, and his brother had it before that. Has always been kept in a garage. He is buying a new bike next spring and wanted to get rid of it.
Here are the details of the bike: He said last time he started it was a few months ago. It needs a battery and a new starter switch/button. Seems to be in great shape, very small ding and paint scratch on the gas tank, other than that, cosmetically perfect. 9,800 miles.
I am somewhat mechanically inclined, so I guess my questions are:
what should I expect this bike to be valued at when running

Any other advice or input would be appreciated. thanks,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured I did pretty well. That makes me feel a little better about my decision. Any idea what a bike like this is worth when running?

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
You can check with NADA (think they are more realistic than Kelly Blue Book) for the best estimate. I'm guessing it would be in the range of $900-1,200.

Read the Vulcan Verses section of the forum, and see OlHossCanada's signature for things to do to the bike. The first thing is lube the driveshaft splines. The procedure is here: http://pages.tstar.net/~fergy/writeups/final_drive1.html

Unless yours is a Canadian '85, it's a VN700. The U.S. got the 750s beginning in 1986.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What a steal you stumbled upon........you could part it out for big bucks if you wanted to!!

I can tell by the seat it's an 85....they made the seat more "pillowy" looking in 86

Something fishy about letting that thing go for so cheap......don't forget to look inside the gas tank with a flashlight for rust!

·
Registered
162 Posts
That sounds similar to my bike cosmetically, which I picked up this summer for $1,000. Mine had just under 23,000 miles and doesn't quite run perfectly. I'm planning to go through the carbs this winter, but it runs well enough for me to be comfortable taking it out for a ride whenever.

I'm new to all this, but I've heard that it's generally worse for a bike to not be ridden. Seals deteriorate and such when it just sits. The fact that it's 25 years old and has less than 10k on it could be a bad sign.

Still, I think even if the engine is completely gone, you could just sell a few parts from it to get your $200 back. Even if it ends up not being something you can ride, you still got a good deal.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
$200 for a toy is a pittance. I'd snatch it up and turn it into a great bobber!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the Vulcan madness.

You didn`t buy that bike, You stole it! LOL
Check on the engine case by the oil fill plug for engine size markings - 0.699 or 0.749 litres.

The Canadian vn model does not have all the exhaust emissions hoses and cannisters that the US models do.

Near the top of the left side of the rear cylinder jug, (and right side of the front jug ) you will find an air hose attached to a reed valve on US bikes.

On Canadian bikes it is replaced with a flat polished stainless steel plate, about 2" square, often referred to here as a *coaster*.

Here is a link to motorcycle repair that you may find helpful.
http://www.dansmc.com/MC_repaircourse.htm

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Dude, $200 is a steal. I hope i understood correctly that you did indeed purchase the bike!? If so its gona be the best purchase you ever made.

And yes you could fix it up and sell it and make good money, and even more money if you took the tidious time to part it out piece by piece, but for the love of god dont!! Everytime a bike gets parted out when the bike could be saved, it makes me cry. It's one less vn750 that will never get to hit the open road again.

Keep the bike, fix it up, and ride the hell out of it.

Peace

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
It is physically impossible for a VN750 to sit. It grabs the rider, throws him on the saddle, and takes off down the nearest twisty road. $200 + minor work? Toss on full gear and go for a ride.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
^ X12!!!!!! What they ALL said!

200 beans huh? Did you threaten the guy? Beat him like he owns you money? Good work dude, real good. If you run into trouble fixing it, ask us here. Several people here have forgotten more about working on VN7XX's than I'll ever know. Fix it, ride it, love it. And welcome to the greatest forum on the planet ya lucky bastard. ;) :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts