Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Been making some sick steel side plates. They aren’t even close to done, but the shaping and welding is coming along.

Attachments

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have always ran external fuel filters on my Vulcans and they are such a pain to get the tank connected with them on there because the jump between the filters and the tank is so short. I’m trying to figure out another way to do it on this bike so that it’s not such a pain to take the tank off, but I guess it goes with the way everything else does on this bike which is a complete pain especially if it involves fuel because of these dang carburetors

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Heeerreeeee’s Johnny! I’m blown away by how easy this fix is and how many people don’t know it. $10 shipped for the part.
where did you get it? Dennis Kirk charges $8 for shipping for just one of those jokers. At $5.95, the shipping costs more than the part. wtf?

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Motorcycle shops especially are famous for ripping people a new one over accessories that’s why God made the Internet

Attachments

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Here’s the frame chop and seat mount for the bobber project.

Attachments

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Here’s the chop and welds unpainted. I wanted to tig weld the frame but back here i decided to stick weld for strength.

Attachments

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Heres the fenders and tank just painted and the frame chop that i just finished.

Attachments

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My new tank filters finally came. Don’t order them if you need them fast..... took over a week. So my new petcock tubes are larger allowing for a little better flow. I rebuilt the rest of it as well with new seals and diaphragm. The petcock tubes now match the outputs diameter.

Attachments

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
And my favorite battery in the world came with only 2 days ship time. These guys are awesome.

Attachments

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Here’s the rider position as of tonight. I’ve cut and welded the rear coils, dropped the seat position and moved it back a few inches. That makes the factory mini ape bars more like medium apes now that you’re lower and further back.

It looks like I’ll either be going fenderless on the back or making a mini fender to catch the debris because the seat rear crossbar is now very close to rubbing when the springs compress. There’s not room for the stock rear fender now.

Attachments

Reactions: ubertalldude

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Also, i now have two different styles of steel side plates I’ve made. One set is very detailed and tig welded to 3D style and the other is a flat plate. Haven’t decided yet which one i like.

Attachments

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
With this white scheme i saw an opportunity to use copper to make some points stand out so i tig welded copper washers to steel sleeves with silicon bronze to give the tank a little detail by making my own mounting sleeves. Originally used stainless, then decided on copper.

Attachments

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Seat starts now. Building the frame tomorrow. It will curve down in the center to add less of a plank look. This is just starting the foam cutting from layers. I bought black and brown material, but like the brown more.

Attachments

Reactions: OleDirtyDoc

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I had this all worked out.... but I’m building it for my fiancé’s kid who is 18 and this is his first....anything so we are building it the way he wants. He is no bueno on the cafe’ seat. He wants a bobber seat so we are going to cut all this frame off that I’ve already welded up and find a way to french a bobber seat on a non-rigid (which I’ve tried to tell him so......). I’ll probably cover the rear shock tower area with a round bag like one below. This will have me cutting the fender in half and welding it around the brace that has to be between the shock towers.

Attachments

·
Registered
736 Posts
this build looks cool. The white paint scheme looks really clean with the Vulcan wings emblem on it, and I like the subtlety of the copper washer. copper is a very pretty metal, albeit subject to tarnishing if not cared for.

the custom seat you made looks nice, I'd prefer that over the bobber style, but hey it's not my bike

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well, can’t tell an 18 yr old it won’t work well. Lol. I cut all the framework out and redid it to accommodate a bobber seat and a rear fender. I tigged in 3 thick passes (layers) and slicked it up. Normally these beads would overlap each other, but this is the too cap for filler so i can grind without taking out reinforcement. Can’t tell there was ever a reason angle iron and tube wasn’t made together. ......which is better than Kawasaki did on these welds.

Attachments

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Ok capping the shock towers is easy enough. Just 18ga sheetmetal to match what’s there. Cap it and wrap it. Er70s6 filler wire and tig.

I could cut these ears off, but I’m going to use them as turn signal mounts. And it’ll work perfectly.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 67 Posts