Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 96 750 runs great til it warms up then seems like it loses power to back half of engine any ideas?

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
To me it sounds electrical. Start cheap. Consider swapping the pickup coils to see if the problem moves to the front cylinder. Check resistance of both to see that they fall within spec.
Also, while you're in there, consider the pickup coil mod to bring both pickups to .020" of the flywheel. I would check for spark with a timing light on all plug wires. Anything suspicious would get further inspection.
After getting the bike warmed up where it is failing, run it in a dark area to see if you are leaking a rear cylinder spark to ground somewhere abnormal.
Not that it is related, but if you don't have iridium plugs, consider putting them in.
Worst case, the IC ignitor may have some thermal expansion issue.

~~C8>

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
^ x2
Check those plugs for proper gap, fouling or cracks.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Sounds like you are using up the fuel in the carb bowl, and then it takes a little while to refill. Feul restricktion to rear carb.

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
ok, i changed pickup coils and now back cylinders work but front dont
I think if it were me, I would move the good pickup coil back to the front cylinder and purchase a new one for the rear. This will keep your wire color code per schematics.
I would also do the pickup coil mod to .020", and put in the iridiums.

Part# 59026-1062 COIL-PULSING

Better check that part# with the part distributor.

Good luck.

~~C8>

Edit: Not sure, but the pickup coils may come as a set.

·
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.
500 Posts
If you run out of options, get stumped, or are tired of swapping parts around, iridium plugs require less voltage to spark, so they may keep you going (at least for a while) until you have an outright failure which may be easier to diagnose.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, i found out that there was a short in wire /plug for voltage regulator, repaired that and bike now has 12v to all coilsbut now it will not charge. if i shut it off i have to put a charger on it to start it again. whats chance of alt/stator still good?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i changed out stator, ( had a burnt winding) i put in different pick up coils, now bike cranks and stops like you put something in flywheel, then it dies.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you were right , pickup coils was reversed, thank you and thanks to all that put a reply on here to me. the bike is up aznd running ( wife will be happy now)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
about the bike for a while it is her bike mine is an 800 vulcan, as far as happy with me im a guy what can i say

·
Registered
445 Posts
Front or back of the shaft? I'd might pull it and give a good lubing at both ends. And check the final drive fluid level. Whine to me normally indicates gears and not spline. Road a V-Star 650 and that thing had a lot of gear whine. The guys on the net say it's due to having straight cut instead of beveled gears. Anyway didn't but that V-Star... Got my Vulcan instead.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts