Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 VN750 that, earlier this month, I was forced to lay down to avoid an incident ahead of me in an intersection. When it was all said and done, and I got the bike towed back to my garage, I found that the forks are a little out of line, and I can't get it started. The forks I don't care much about because I have a spare set in the shed, but I just can't get the thing started. It tries to turn over but just can't quite get there. There's been no fuel leakage since the accident, nothing seems damaged that might affect this, at least on the outside. I've gotten it to backfire a couple times, but that's all. I'm no master mechanic so I definately want to at least have somewhat of an idea as to what I'm doing before I start pulling parts off. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Sounds like one (or both) cylinders are loaded with fuel holding the piston(s).

Pull the plug and crank it once or twice. I'd suggest heavy rags over the holes, and wrap the plug leads in rags too.

One time when I saw a guy do this on a riding mower the plug lead was close to some metal and allowed a spark when he turned the key. Same time as the spark fired a bunch of gas blew out of the plug hole directly across the sparking wire and boom! Fire! LOL

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think slim might be on the right track. Do you have a maintenance free battery, or a lead/acid? If you have lead/acid check your acid levels, and battery voltage.

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
Ok I am going to give some advice I learned long ago. After a wreck no matter how big or small, there is a series of checks one must do before driving or riding again. First look for fluid leaks. If found find their cause. If no leaks found move to the battery. Make sure it is strapped in properly, no cracks, and all cables are tight. Check frame and suspension for obvious damage. Repair all faults found before trying to ride or drive.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
If the battery turns out not to be the problem, start checking the carbs and all the boots/hoses/intake connections. After my rebuild I had symptoms similar to what you describe. When I reinstalled the engine, my carbs got moved out of the boots holding them to the cylinder just enough to cause extra air to get sucked into the cylinder. A cursory visual inspection revealed nothing as they looked like they were where they were supposed to be. I ended up taking it to a mech and he found the problem. Once the carbs were reseated, she fired right up.

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
You check the kill switch?

And no offence, but most times I read someone saying they were "forced to lay the bike down" ...it usualy means they overreacted, locked the brakes and went down before they could do anything about it.

Not saying that is the case here. But, "laying the bike down" on purpose kinda suggests you missed something important before hand...............

KM

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Wouldn't the kill switch stop the bike from turning over at all? Mine does anyway. All the lights come on but the engine won't crank at all.

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
Wouldn't the kill switch stop the bike from turning over at all? Mine does anyway. All the lights come on but the engine won't crank at all.

Correct, I missed where he said it will turn over...but not start. Sorry..

So yes, check the battery , then check to make sure you are getting a spark..check that the fuel is flowing to the carbs.

Try a bit of starting fluid to see if she will catch?

KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I see that it`s been a month ago this thread started. Just wondering if you ever got the bike started or figured out why it wouldn`t. Your description of it turning over but not quite starting sounds like a weak battery. After trying all the above suggestions have you checked the voltage or put it on a charger? JM 2 cents worth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts