Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides being driven crazy by my starter, I was looking on Ebay and noticed the starter for the 800 appears to be the same as the 750. Went to a parts micofiche, and all the internal parts listes share the same numbers. But the listing for the complete starter has different ending numbers for the two.

750 part # is 21163-1319 and the 800 is 21163-1263.

Has anyone ever compared the two? We're talking about 50 dollars differnce in pricing for what appears to be the same starter. Can't imagine using the same parts and not having the same size casing, but I also know how my luck with things like this go.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Besides being driven crazy by my starter, I was looking on Ebay and noticed the starter for the 800 appears to be the same as the 750. Went to a parts micofiche, and all the internal parts listes share the same numbers. But the listing for the complete starter has different ending numbers for the two.

Has anyone ever compared the two? We're talking about 50 dollars differnce in pricing for what appears to be the same starter. Can't imagine using the same parts and not having the same size casing, but I also know how my luck with things like this go.
hey i forgot I have a starter I took off mine ,it was dragging and put one on I got from Crobins,which pieces do you need ,it is heavy as lead and would cost a small fortune to ship complete.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
21163 denotes that it is a Kawasaki Starter for a vulcan, the 1319/1263 tells what the starter is for... all the numbers have to be identical in order for it to be the same part... although the 800 might work.. its not a guarantee.. Go with denny.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey i forgot I have a starter I took off mine ,it was dragging and put one on I got from Crobins,which pieces do you need ,it is heavy as lead and would cost a small fortune to ship complete.
Well looking at what they did at the shop, I need the main body. I guess they took that apart, although I don't see how. Anyway, it was round when it was taken out. Noticed yesterday when I tried again that it was off round just a tad. Then there's the end cap the goes next to starter gear. Small crack there.

I know they'll fit in the USPS if it fits it ships box. Shipping zip code is 75052.

Let me know what you'd want for the whole thing. Actually got it to work, but it's still letting oil in.

In retrospect, I should have just done the kit from ebay. Anyone ever need to know how to completely take one of these starters apart and put it back together let me know. I can do mine in 10 minutes now.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those two starters look so close, it's tempting to try. But if I can get one that is an actual fit, I'd rather do that.

Still, a bike that was made for 20 years, and the starter doesn't fit anything else out there? One things for sure, they didn't design these with leftover parts.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Well looking at what they did at the shop, I need the main body. I guess they took that apart, although I don't see how. Anyway, it was round when it was taken out. Noticed yesterday when I tried again that it was off round just a tad. Then there's the end cap the goes next to starter gear. Small crack there.

I know they'll fit in the USPS if it fits it ships box. Shipping zip code is 75052.

Let me know what you'd want for the whole thing. Actually got it to work, but it's still letting oil in.

In retrospect, I should have just done the kit from ebay. Anyone ever need to know how to completely take one of these starters apart and put it back together let me know. I can do mine in 10 minutes now.
pm sent

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it, thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts