Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everybody

I have an '86 VN 750 A - the European version - limited to 37 kw or 50 HP.
My questions are: How is the bike limited? What are the limiters and where are they placed? Can this be reversed?
Has anybody taken of the limiters of their bike?

One more thing: I sense that I have a limit on the throttle : I can't twist it that much. Could it be limited from there?
The Rev Counter doesn't work so I have no idea if the bike reaches 11000 rpm.
Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mine is an 98 spec European version, I don't think they're limited, I've had mine pulling strong to over 100mph, I think the only bikes that were restricted were the Japan market models, usually with a device in the speedo to restrict speed and in some cases a nylon spacer on the carb slides to stop them opening fully, that was the case on my Vmax!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
775 Posts
I believe US-spec versions were rated at approximately 47 HP stock, so there wouldn't seem to be an appreciable difference if any at all

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
I believe US-spec versions were rated at approximately 47 HP stock, so there wouldn't seem to be an appreciable difference if any at all
10 hp on a 450lb machine is noticeable ,and it's 66hp at the flywheel, which allegedly was under rated at the factory

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
775 Posts
Oh, damn, didn't realize that.

Now that I've shaved and jetted 142/42, I wonder what I'm making...

Time to search for dyno's near me hahaha

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
probably loses 10-15hp through the drivetrain

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
probably 4-10 hp up top with earshave

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
What an interesting thread! I'm glad mine doesn't have any limitations on it. Unfortunately, I doubt asking Kawasaki about reduced effect will garner any useful information. Too bad because now I am curious about the subject. jebahTM: all I can say is that I, personally, would not want to be riding the thing at 11,000 rpms. With my luck I'd be searching for parts of my manhood after the thing detonates under me. I've had mine a smidgeon past 9000 once and while its never since given me an issue from that time, it sounded angry enough that I would have to be hard pressed to do it again. But I'm an old guy and therefore naturally inclined to more sedate rpms. I concur with KM and would look into getting your tachometer working.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the feedback.
To clear a few things:
European Limited Version - any bike limited to or under 50 HP that can be driven with the A2 License ( 18 years old). I have the full A license.
Regarding the speed and limiters: I'm just curios to find out what they are and where they are placed, not necessarily to remove them.
My bike doesn't go past 140-150 km/h (although that's more than enough).
Anyway , I have to change the stator now so I guess I will be coming back with more questions.
I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks again :)

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
I think there is exhaust and intake restrictions. the jetting is also different

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
After looking at this again, it looks like the horsepower/KW on the Euro models is limited by the 110 main jet. Stock size for US is 138.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts