Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm trying to chop my bike up but where the passenger seat went is making it difficult to make a decision of what to do. I'm going to post a picture of my bike that's on the lift. And I'm going to post another picture of the same bike just hard tailed. What I wanna know, is it safe to chop it where this guy chopped his. Let me know because that is the look in trying to get to. Any input helps! Thanks!!!
Justin

Attachments

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
His is pretty much chopped where yours is but struts are bolted on instead of shocks.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
you should be ok as you can clearly see it has been done before lol oh and you say your bike is a 75 but these bikes didnt go into production until 85 probably a typo

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol ment to type 85 lol I know this. Yeah I thought it would work because yes it has been done before, I think my fabricator just doesn't want to do the work....

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
I showed you a pick of mine in another post and mine has held up

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know you did but it's hard to see from that picture, and you have your shocks still---I'm talking about If I go hard tail is it safe to chop it that close to the joint of the frame. See how low that guy chopped his. Obviously it can be done, I just want to know if drilling a new hole into the frame near that joint to install the strut, would weaken that joint/weld?

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
if it were me i would drill the hole bigger than need be and put a solid piece of steel thru the hole and give it a 100% weld then drill a hole in that and tap the treads needed for the bolt that secures the strut

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
I would just find some 10 1/2" progressive shocks so ya at least have a little cushion

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
you should be ok as you can clearly see it has been done before lol oh and you say your bike is a 75 but these bikes didnt go into production until 85 probably a typo
Or a prototype. ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Looking at the photo, I don't like how the struts are mounted and the size of tubing used there. Smashing the ends to bolt them like that creates a weak spot (4 of them to be exact)
I would have used heavier bar for the struts or left the tubes round and capped them....welding in bushings for the bolt.

Those just look like you'd hit a pothole and they would bend.

Personally is leave the shocks on, like I did here:
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/knifemaker1954/1490881656/in/set-72157602277627359/

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah that is what I wanted to here, that set up he has looks a little weak. Their is better material to use than that. I already have the bike lowered with the springs on. I just need to do something with the meat that is left from the passenger seat. I will prob. Just round them out right above the shocks

Attachments

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
It warmed up a little ill see if I can get better pics

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
If you aren't a pygmy and that means shorter than me. That Bike looks pretty good as is. I would leave the shocks on it and if you want it lower either make a set of lowering brackets for the bottom of the shocks, there is a pattern on here some where on how to make them. It moves them back a couple of inches on the bottom and lowers it an inch or more.

You know what you want but I'd also go to tractor supply and buy a trailer fender and cut it to length and mount it to the swing arm front and rear close to the tire and paint it black too.

I'm not a big Bobber fan but that black bike and white seat with the white wheels looks sharp!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Look up Trwesku's black and Orange and Madkat's Frank in the project and builds section

1 - 16 of 16 Posts