1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
What a beauty! Looks a lot like the Triumph 750 commando fastback model my brother used to own when 35 years ago. For his birthday this year, I tracked down a 1:12 scale replica of his old bike, one of only three still available and only from Andover Norton over in England. He loved it.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
It is a nice looking bike, but you would have to be a collector with too many dollars and not enough sense to spend that much money for it, in my opinion.

What would it have cost new in 1973? Somewhere between $1,000 and $1,500 perhaps? I hope the new buyer enjoys it sitting in a showroom, or in his garage.

My cousin bought a new, top of the line, GMC pickup truck in 1973 for $5,300 or $5,500 CAN. What`s the inflation rate since then?

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
That thing is scary fast even by today's standards!

Jon

·
Registered
52 Posts
The bike is beautiful, despite being infected by a Seventies color scheme. Almost makes me want to go work on my '80 750-4 LTD, except that the garage heat isn't hooked up yet.

There's always some project in the way of doing what you would prefer to do.

What's the reservoir in the side cover for?

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
That thing is scary fast even by today's standards!

Jon
Well, not really. The H2 did the 1/4 mie in 12.28 seconds @ 110.29 mph. Back then, that was fast. Today...well, there are alot of bikes running 10 second 1/4 mile times now.

The resivoir in the sidecover was for 2 stroke oil. The oil was not mixed with the gas in the tank, but was injected via a pump into the mixture.

You might balk at the 15 grand , but restored bikes like this, much like cars, are really more of an investment. But some of those with money might just ride the bike and add it to their "collection"

Wonder if Jay Leno has one?

Makes me feel bad now for selling mine. Don't let Glenn see this, he might raise the price of his 85 even more... LOL

KM

·
Registered
149 Posts
The bike is beautiful, despite being infected by a Seventies color scheme. Almost makes me want to go work on my '80 750-4 LTD, except that the garage heat isn't hooked up yet.

There's always some project in the way of doing what you would prefer to do.

What's the reservoir in the side cover for?
Since this bike is a two-stroke I'm assuming it's an oil tank for the oil injectors, so you don't have to pre- mix the oil & fuel.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Well, not really. The H2 did the 1/4 mie in 12.28 seconds @ 110.29 mph. Back then, that was fast. Today...well, there are alot of bikes running 10 second 1/4 mile times now.

The resivoir in the sidecover was for 2 stroke oil. The oil was not mixed with the gas in the tank, but was injected via a pump into the mixture.

You might balk at the 15 grand , but restored bikes like this, much like cars, are really more of an investment. But some of those with money might just ride the bike and add it to their "collection"

Wonder if Jay Leno has one?

Makes me feel bad now for selling mine. Don't let Glenn see this, he might raise the price of his 85 even more... LOL

KM
That's true, but my butt is not on one of them. I have made many 10 sec passes on four wheels, never on two. Friend I ride with has a heavily modded Busa which I am sure is low 9's, again, not with my butt on it.

Jon

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a nice looking bike, but you would have to be a collector with too many dollars and not enough sense to spend that much money for it, in my opinion.
What would it have cost new in 1973? Somewhere between $1,000 and $1,500 perhaps? I hope the new buyer enjoys it sitting in a showroom, or in his garage.
My cousin bought a new, top of the line, GMC pickup truck in 1973 for $5,300 or $5,500 CAN. What`s the inflation rate since then?
All that is true butif I had my 66 Coronet 500 426 Hemi back ($4,100 new) and in that condition I believe I could get a few jingles out of it too...lol...
I just thought someone had done one awsome restore job...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
All that power didn't do you much good. They were poor handlers so I stayed away from them. My love was with the 350 and 500 (had both).

·
Registered
148 Posts
There's nothing like the quick response of a 2-stroke.
Quarter mile times don't describe the feeling of the pick-up these bikes had.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
There's nothing like the quick response of a 2-stroke.
Quarter mile times don't describe the feeling of the pick-up these bikes had.
They were light weight compared to the big 4's of the time. My 500 (tricked out) would toast anything on the road in the 70's (except a tricked 750 until we hit the twisties).

MPG's? under 20 for my 500, 30's for my 350.

·
Registered
950 Posts
That first CL bike was incredible. Was that a restore or original that never got really used? Does that have a steering damper on it? If so is that original?

I know a guy that has the last year of the original indians in a crate, never removed. Personally I think that is a waste.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
gonna cafe it out?
thats the plan ,old school seventies style,kinda except probably with drag bars instead of club man or clip on bars,or i may just go minimal and bob it I'm still cleaning and sorting parts ,looking for a later model set of forks with dual disc setup.maybe a set of vn 750 forks, still mesuring though.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
They were light weight compared to the big 4's of the time. My 500 (tricked out) would toast anything on the road in the 70's (except a tricked 750 until we hit the twisties).

MPG's? under 20 for my 500, 30's for my 350.
my cousin had a 500 and it was intense back then,wild acceleration and nothing sounded like those old two strokes,a buddy of mine had a 350 with 6inch over fork tubes(I don't know why),spent most of the time riding it trying to keep it pointed straight with the front wheel on the ground.Ahh to be young and think that death was just a rumor again.:BLAM:

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Nice job on that Kaw, either way; keeping it or restoring it.

On that Honda too, but I saw a little rust on it though. ;)

·
Expert Advice Giver
152 Posts
That was a fast bike........ but.....when I get that retired Space Shuttle I'll show you guys what fast is....:beerchug:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts