Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My bike has been parked since Sept. 2017 (edited date), harbor freight battery tender died about that time too.

Today the agm fired my bike up with no problem at all. Took a few cranks with pauses to get the fuel flowing, but it sat there running with 14.5v as soon as it fired.

Doesn't take long for corrosion to set in on aluminum, even in garage. Need to get her cleaned up.

Fully expected a dead battery, but it's just like new.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,753 Posts
that's great! the best I ever got out of a MF battery for the motorcycles, was around 6 years and that's with a good battery tender. WOW! sitting for over a year with no tender and it was still able to crank/fire up the old girl. now that's impressive.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha! Just noticed my tag expired in Feb. 2018, so the last time I rode had to have been Sept. 2017. So it's been parked that long, time flies, I guess.

The ole Seafoam must be doin' it's job too!

Ruger, about three years is the best I've seen from wet cells or maint. free.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Deka battery on my truck is toast, dated January 2017. $109 when I get one tomorrow, if they're open.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to y’all on here I have been introduced to AGM batteries. So naturally when my truck battery went earlier this year I got this for it.
I considered an AGM for the truck, but I'm doubtful the performance of the battery will help the truck any, other than the possible longevity.

Last truck had a $50 reconditioned battery from Rural King that had lasted a few years before sitting long enough to die from disuse.

Autozone wasn't willing to say what the price is on the Duralast AGM. They're all closed today, so no battery until tomorrow.

12.1v and it still fires up, but barely.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
If I was using an inverter or had other needs for power, the AGM would be ideal.

The AZ website listed one battery a step below their AGM at $169, but it wasn't the AGM. On the AGM they just said "price not available".

Probably should have bought an AGM for the Buick since the battery is... under the back seat?!! :unsure: Might be tough getting a jump start off that one.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back in the 70s-80s, I used to sell reconditioned batteries for a sideline. It was surprising the very high number of batteries that came out good, and how long they lasted. Maybe 80 percent? $20 with a one year warranty! Car lots loved me.

Core prices today make it impossible to do on a large scale now. Rural King has a captive core supply, so it's profitable for them. I see their cart load of cores and pretty much know more than half of them are still good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts