Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
It was necessary to change out the entire headlight bucket assembly to fit this headlamp. Stock VN750 headlight bucket & trim wont work. I used a Kawasaki KZ750-B (1976-1979) headlight assembly with the Sunpie LED projector headlamp. Specs on the replacement bucket are as follows...

8 inch Assembly Diameter
7 inch Lens Diameter
7 1/2 width at mounting points

Paid $52 shipped for a brand new fully metal chrome headlight assembly (bucket, trim, mounting rings). (Note) You will reuse the mounting rubber inserts and bolts /nuts from your factory bucket. See link below...

Z1 900, KZ650, KZ750, KZ900, KZ1000 ,H2 ,KH Chrome Bucket Head Light Assembly | eBay

Here's a "How To" video on using the Kawasaki KZ750-B (1976-1979) headlight assembly with the LED projector headlight...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-GI4-VdCIA
So I am seeing several of the used buckets available, but no trim or bezel rings on eBay. I guess we bought the world out of them. Is there a secondary source that you would recommend? I found this site, but it doesn't look legit. https://jessbikes.com/product_info.php?products_id=274

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

·
Registered
266 Posts
Dude, you're a saint. The kit I found like this was from Poland. By the time it arrives here, the wife and I would probably have a kid, and they'd be graduating.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In my earlier question below, I should have made it clear that I don't want to simply replace the halogen bulb with an LED bulb, I actually want to replace the whole inner of the headlight housing, ideally with a chrome finished LED assembly instead of black so as to keep the original look of the bike.

I've read through this post and should know the answer to my question, but am second guessing myself. My question is simply whether there is an LED headlight unit on the market that is a simple, direct, no modification necessary, replacement for the stock halogen unit (2005 VN750)?
If not, then is there a unit that will work with the standard headlight housing with some minor modification, and if so, what is the modification required?
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I've read through this post and should know the answer to my question, but am second guessing myself. My question is simply whether there is an LED headlight unit on the market that is a simple, direct, no modification necessary, replacement for the stock halogen unit (2005 VN750)?
If not, then is there a unit that will work with the standard headlight housing with some minor modification, and if so, what is the modification required?
Thanks.
I've read that the reflector and/or lens is wrong for an LED. But some here have posted decent results.

Myself, I had decided to watch for one of the 7" Harley Daymaker, reflector, lens, and bulb all together.. Kinda pricey but can catch them on goodwill or ebay if you know what you're looking for.

Looking around, there's all sorts now, Daymaker, Moonmaker, X-rayer, you name it... https://www.google.com/search?q=7"+harley+led&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwi01sXO_JXpAhUEQqwKHT7XC7UQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=7"+harley+led&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzIGCAAQCBAeMgYIABAIEB4yBggAEAgQHjIGCAAQCBAeMgYIABAIEB46CAgAEAgQBxAeOgYIABAHEB46BAgAEEM6AggAOggIABAHEAUQHlCziwFY9LYBYM-4AWgAcAB4AIABgQKIAfEQkgEGMC4xMy4xmAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWc&sclient=img&ei=A9KtXvTILISEsQW-rq-oCw&bih=556&biw=1147&client=firefox-b-1-d

·
Super Moderator
2,568 Posts
yea, the housings for incandescent lamps (normal tungsten) are not shaped correctly for the led 'replacement' bulbs.. the light output pattern of the led's is totally different and wont properly focus down the road.

other thing to remember is that led's draw less power than normal bulbs, and the reserve lighting unit (RLU) will think your bulb is burned out, try to switch to the other filament, sense its burned out, and switch back and forth. you would have to bypass the RLU in order to use an led (even the purposely built led housings/bulbs) on the motorcycle

·
Diesel Tech
136 Posts
The reflector is wrong, but its still FAR better than any incandescent bulb. Totally happy with my LED swap.
RLU should be bypassed anyway, useless "feature" that just adds more points of failure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's exactly what I want to do also, but I keep reading that the 7" units don't fit the VN750 housing properly (or perhaps at all?), So I was hoping to hear from someone who had done the replacement without changing out the outer housing.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I did dig into it at one point and was ready to buy a 7" light. Might have to modify something to mount on the Kawi headlight shell. I could be having some brain fade, but I'm pretty sure it's a 7" light, getting harder for me research and double check things I think I remember.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ended up getting an H4 LED bulb which has the cooling fan at the front end of the bulb so that the retaining clip, rubber boots, and plug all fit as standard inside the bucket. Works like a charm with the slight exception that the white headlight out warning light on the instrument cluster is on. As for the light pattern, I don't see a difference except that it's obviously a much brighter and whiter light than a halogen bulb will ever be. I'm sure that gives the appearance that the beam pattern has changed, but it doesn't seem like to me. I got the DZG H4 from Amazon for $27 and it simply works with zero effort. FYI headlight trim ring needs to be twisted anti-clockwise an inch or so to remove after removing the 2 retaining screws. Also added a pair of iBrightstar 1157 red LED bulbs from Amazon for the tail/brake lights which include a built-in flasher module. Works great.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts