Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Iceshot, did you or any one that has attempted this mod have to make adjustments to the original mount for the headlight to the bike? This basket is thinner than the OEM basket. I didn't know if washers were need to take up the space or was the original mounting hardware modified?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Iceshot, did you or any one that has attempted this mod have to make adjustments to the original mount for the headlight to the bike? This basket is thinner than the OEM basket. I didn't know if washers were need to take up the space or was the original mounting hardware modified?
The KZ750 bucket I used fits great. I reused the stock headlight bucket rubber inserts, bolts, and washers that attach the bucket to the bike. Nothing additional required.

*** Will fix the images later today, F**k Photobucket and their reckless selfish policy that has broken virtually every internet forum and ruined decades of critical how to information!! ***

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
39 Posts
Iceshot, one last question ... I hope. First thank you for blazing the trail on this, I had to add some garden hose washers to take up some slack in the headlight bucket. Got all of that done until I hit the RLU bypass. The light will come on and flicker when the RLU is connected. However if I pull the connector and jump the blue/blue yellow with out reconnecting the RLU connector the headlight will not turn on. Did you jump the wires from the back side and then reconnect the RLU? If I put the bypass wire into the pins to connect blu & blu/yel and I put the low beam/hi beam in the middle of both, he light turns on

Thanks again

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Iceshot, one last question ... I hope. First thank you for blazing the trail on this, I had to add some garden hose washers to take up some slack in the headlight bucket. Got all of that done until I hit the RLU bypass. The light will come on and flicker when the RLU is connected. However if I pull the connector and jump the blue/blue yellow with out reconnecting the RLU connector the headlight will not turn on. Did you jump the wires from the back side and then reconnect the RLU? If I put the bypass wire into the pins to connect blu & blu/yel and I put the low beam/hi beam in the middle of both, he light turns on

Thanks again
I pulled the RLU unit (permanently) and it's currently sitting in a box of parts. I jumped the connector with paperclip (temporary until I make a afternoon soldering in my new SH-775 R/R). Ironically, I plan to install the new R/R where the old RLU unit was mounted (fits perfect with bracket). I'll pull my bike out and take a pic of the jumped wire for you to compare.

Post up a couple of pics for us all to see! You can upload them to https://cubeupload.com/ and use the direct link provided to "insert image" into the reply post.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nice, I actually did this conversion as well. I made an adapter for the headlight bucket and used a 1/16 inch thick rubber gasket on the outside for my conversion. Easily one of the best mods that I have done to this bike. Great write up Iceshot.

Attachments

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
It seems like the benefits on this particular mod are for increased light output only. i'd like to do an LED swap but I would need much more efficient LEDs than that. Have you encountered any other LED conversion's that are less power hungry? I'm starting to think I'm going to end up having to bite the bullet and go to a square headlight. Cree sells a six LED element that is equally as bright as that headlight and only burns 18 W so I'm curious if there are indeed any round lights that are lower powered. I bought the flood version of them but they have a focused beam version as well. Here's what they look like on my Fourtrax. They were $24 shipped and 18w power consumption. The lumens are straight rediculous for 18w led. The design on this particular led housing wouldn't look the part on the vulcan, but i know what leds its using so there may be other options that aren't nasty looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It seems like the benefits on this particular mod are for increased light output only. i'd like to do an LED swap but I would need much more efficient LEDs than that. Have you encountered any other LED conversion's that are less power hungry? I'm starting to think I'm going to end up having to bite the bullet and go to a square headlight. Cree sells a six LED element that is equally as bright as that headlight and only burns 18 W so I'm curious if there are indeed any round lights that are lower powered. I bought the flood version of them but they have a focused beam version as well. Here's what they look like on my Fourtrax. They were $24 shipped and 18w power consumption. The lumens are straight rediculous for 18w led. The design on this particular led housing wouldn't look the part on the vulcan, but i know what leds its using so there may be other options that aren't nasty looking.
The LED Sunpie headlamp is 40W vs 55W stock halogen. Modest improvement on power efficiency, significant improvement on light thrown down the road. The box shaped headlamp is a interesting idea and I agree it seems to throw a lot of light for a 18w headlamp. My concerns in using the square headlamp are as follows...

1) Not D.O.T. approved. This "could" present a wide array of potential issues. Such as: police citations, beam pattern that does not conform well to working on street roads, blinding oncoming drivers, headlamp while crazy bright out in front of the bike fails to project light "brightly" down the road, and so on.

2) Mounting challenges

3) Aiming it properly

4) While subject to personal taste, making the square headlamp look aesthetically pleasing and flow with the VN750's look. Might work / flow better on a VN750 redone as a cafe racer or bobber?

If you wind up attempting to take a swing at this, very curious as to the outcome (pics please!) and hearing what you had to do to make it work for you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Nice, I actually did this conversion as well. I made an adapter for the headlight bucket and used a 1/16 inch thick rubber gasket on the outside for my conversion. Easily one of the best mods that I have done to this bike. Great write up Iceshot.
Looks great HardRock! Happy to see this thread inspired you to do the mod to your VN750. I like seeing the blacked out headlamp version you went with (vs chrome) for contrast. Good idea on the rubber washer and larger metal washer for inside the bucket. Big difference on the amount of light it throws down the road eh? :grin2:

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
The LED Sunpie headlamp is 40W vs 55W stock halogen. Modest improvement on power efficiency, significant improvement on light thrown down the road. The box shaped headlamp is a interesting idea and I agree it seems to throw a lot of light for a 18w headlamp. My concerns in using the square headlamp are as follows...

1) Not D.O.T. approved. This "could" present a wide array of potential issues. Such as: police citations, beam pattern that does not conform well to working on street roads, blinding oncoming drivers, headlamp while crazy bright out in front of the bike fails to project light "brightly" down the road, and so on.

2) Mounting challenges

3) Aiming it properly

4) While subject to personal taste, making the square headlamp look aesthetically pleasing and flow with the VN750's look. Might work / flow better on a VN750 redone as a cafe racer or bobber?

If you wind up attempting to take a swing at this, very curious as to the outcome (pics please!) and hearing what you had to do to make it work for you.
1. Agree about the non DOT, in California it would definitely be an issue and other states that are anal about the inspections. In TN we do not have inspection and they don't seem to care what you do (thankfully) so i have a lot more options on what to do.

2. I have a welder and tools for metal working so I personally won't have any challenges there.

3. See 3. The leds that are spot leds instead of flood are extremely sharp focused so choosing the correct one will handle that.

4. I can't imagine anything but round would look good, but we will see what's out there. Since the halogen uses the mirror to reflect and the led uses a lens to focus we may have options of a retrofit into the stock housing using a false euro lens, which are clear.

I love how yours turned out, I'd only be doing the mod to save power on the stator.... so I'm focused on using these 3 watt smt leds or maybe 5 watt in an array on a spot beam mount (as they are sold).

·
Registered
196 Posts
Looks great HardRock! Happy to see this thread inspired you to do the mod to your VN750. I like seeing the blacked out headlamp version you went with (vs chrome) for contrast. Good idea on the rubber washer and larger metal washer for inside the bucket. Big difference on the amount of light it throws down the road eh? :grin2:
It's an amazing difference on the amount of light, really nice being that I work third shift so I do a lot of night riding. One note though it's not just a metal washer on the inside but rather a machined adapter as seen in this post: http://www.vn750.com/forum/70-projects-builds/96417-part-prints.html

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Just a foot note on my earlier post. Sorry i was wrong on price. Not $24 each. $18.95 each.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the thread! I just got my 750 couple days ago and definitely need to upgrade the light. Is the one at this ebay link the same as what you installed? My goal is to find one that I don't need to change the housing for :D

add www to make link work. Wouldnt let me post since I don't have 5 posts yet :D

.ebay.com/itm/7-Headlight-LED-Halo-Ring-For-Kawasaki-Vulcan-VN-500-750-800-900-1500-1600-1700-/152628349079?fits=Model%3AVulcan+750&hash=item23895bc897:g:ak4AAOSwsg9ZkALA&vxp=mtr]7" Headlight LED Halo Ring For Kawasaki Vulcan VN 500 750 800 900 1500 1600 1700

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks for the thread! I just got my 750 couple days ago and definitely need to upgrade the light. Is the one at this ebay link the same as what you installed? My goal is to find one that I don't need to change the housing for :D

add www to make link work. Wouldnt let me post since I don't have 5 posts yet :D

.ebay.com/itm/7-Headlight-LED-Halo-Ring-For-Kawasaki-Vulcan-VN-500-750-800-900-1500-1600-1700-/152628349079?fits=Model%3AVulcan+750&hash=item23895bc897:g:ak4AAOSwsg9ZkALA&vxp=mtr]7" Headlight LED Halo Ring For Kawasaki Vulcan VN 500 750 800 900 1500 1600 1700
The LED headlight I used is the 7" Sunpie (link to buy it for $60 off Amazon in my first post). There are a lot of clones / variations (Halo, blacked out, turn signals, etc) of this particular style 7" LED headlamp and the one you linked would work in the KZ750 bucket. I stuck with the Sunpie for four reasons. It's DOT certified, lens is glass (not plastic), has a significant amount of positive feedback in motorcycle application, and is very affordable.

You absolutely MUST use the new headlamp assembly I spoke of in the how to, our stock one wont work with a universal aftermarket 7" headlight. I did a exhaustive search to find a projector led headlamp that would work in our stock buckets and I did not find a single one at any price that would. Our stock internal bucket / headlamp is a unique design.

New 7" KZ750 headlight bucket assembly (works with all 7" universal round headlights) varies from $52-$70 on Ebay.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great info again! Saves me the trouble of going through the searching phase :D. Ok. Im not to call concerned about thebadditinal few bucks, just ease. Ill do what you have done. Its nice to know something is good before you embark on the expense and work! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another question. I can't seem to find a non chrome option for the headlight housing assembly. Did you come across any? I found some old ones that were painted or with too much damage.

I know, I can always paint it myself but why pay for a good chrome finish when I'm going to cover it up :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Another question. I can't seem to find a non chrome option for the headlight housing assembly. Did you come across any? I found some old ones that were painted or with too much damage.

I know, I can always paint it myself but why pay for a good chrome finish when I'm going to cover it up :D
Yes, they also make a version with a blacked out bucket (see links below). There are no fully blacked out kits, so if you want the trim ring blacked out you will need to do that yourself.

Z1 900, KZ650, KZ750, KZ900, KZ1000, Head Light Assembly / H2 H1 | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Z1-900-KZ650-KZ750-KZ900-KZ1000-H2-KH-Black-Head-Light-Bucket-Assembly-/172821054771

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks Man! By the end of the day I will decide if I'm going the all black route or the stock chrome route....

:D :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
VulcanMKE has made a video how to for this mod. You can check it out here...

Gevo, still waiting on those pics of it installed!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts