Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone riding in Ohio today (1/16/09)? it's only -7 degree's out side with a wind chill of -29 degree's! I wonder if the bike would even start with temps like this?

that makes me think.....what is the coldest temps that our bikes will start in?
anyone?

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Mine won't start in this cold, and even if I get lucky and it fires it won't stay running. I don't even mess with it now.

Your temps sound like ours. They're saying frost bite in less than 30 minutes at these temps. (-30 to -35). Our skin will freeze over in ten minutes at -40. Yuck.

I had to run out and buy some small electric room heaters to allow my furnace off shut off and take a little break. It was running non stop and it didn't really feel like it was warming the house.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Yeah, riding today in ohio. That's funny. I went out and started by bike & ran it for a bit last year, all winter long. This year it's on a tender & partially dismantled. I couldn't fire it up if I wanted too :(

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
We don't have it as bad here in Philly but still, 7 degrees with a -5 wind chill is pretty wicked. I started mine a few days ago when it was 17 degrees. I noticed she's more willing to turn over, 1) if she's in a garage out of the wind and 2) if you give the throttle a snap or two. I try to start her cold to see if she will, sometimes she does but if not I twist the throttle twice, let it snap closed, then try again. She came alive everytime I've tried that...

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Mine won't start in this cold, and even if I get lucky and it fires it won't stay running. I don't even mess with it now.
Me either and I ain't even that cold just +5*...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Late to the party
321 Posts
-25 yesterday and -17 right now. It is going to creep up to a blazing 7 today. Haven't started mine since the day after thanksgiving. The good news it is supposed to get up into the low 30s next week. Waaahooooooo!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cold. Cold. It is 16 degrees in Northern Virginia now and will be 5 degrees tonight. That is really cold for here. My bike is in the Shenandoah Valley, 100 miles west of here, and I'll try to ride later in the week when the temperature gets to nomral, in the low 40s. I can ride all winter here, and go out whenever it is 35 and dry. I don't like the ice and rain, anyway. I really feel for you guys up North with the long winter and all the snow. It all make me want to move back to Florida again, but then the summers are really hot. Where is the best biking year around, anyway? I'll move there.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
I do know it is very important to make sure your battery does not freeze...but I am not sure what temp that would happen at. Those up north in -30 temps should really bring their battery inside anyway , and charge it if needed.

It is also not really good for you bike to "just start it up" when it is extremely cold, as the oil is so slow to flow you are just adding wear to your bikes internal parts....and if you ain't gonna ride it, you ain't doing anything for the condition of the oil itself.

If you got Seafoam in the tank and carbs, let the bike sit until it is nice enough to actualy ride...and that warm battery from the house will make starting it alot easier too.

So the queston as to if the bike will start in -7 degree weather is moot as no one really wants to ride in that temp anyway............

KM

·
Registered
96 Posts
i'm glad i don't have to contend with that! the lowest it's gotten here in Atlanta for the 4 years I've been here is 12 degrees with a windchill of 3. i wasn't even ABOUT to go outside and try to start it, let alone ride...my gloves are not built for that kinda weather, burr!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
start mine once a week, run 'er 10- 15 min, get a good wiff of seafoam, shut 'er down
You might want to rethink this method of winter storage dutter. In an article somewhere on winter storage for a bike, it was suggested to warm the bike up good with a short ride of 15-20 minutes and change the oil. Start it up and let it run just long enough to be sure that fresh oil has been circulated through all the system and there are no leaks. Then shut it off and do not start it again until you are ready to ride in the spring.

According to this author, starting the bike and letting it run for 10-15 minutes does not really warm up the oil very much. A bike, or car, needs to be driven for 20-30 minutes before the oil really warms up enough to boil off the water that is created as a byproduct of combustion. This moisture moves from the cylinder into the crankcase with the oil from the cylinder walls. What you are really doing is creating moisture that combines with sulpher to form sulphuric acid in the crankcase and it reacts with the bearing surfaces.

IMHO we will cause much less wear and tear due to dry starts, as KM mentions, if we follow this course of action, and either put a battery tender on to keep the battery from freezing, or remove it from the bike and bring it into a heated area for the winter. :)

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
It took me most of the day just to get my car running and out the driveway. I won't even consider starting a bike at these temps.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
my ford ranger hasnt started in two days let alone the bike. I need a garage! bike is in an 8 x 10 metal shed though.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Hawaii has great weather other than frequent thunderstorms (most in afternoon) that usually don't last too long. Lots of hills. California has lots of good roads. Nice roads in the Ozarks, but the weather can be cold at times. Usually doesn't last too long. I'm sure there are others.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do know it is very important to make sure your battery does not freeze...but I am not sure what temp that would happen at. Those up north in -30 temps should really bring their battery inside anyway , and charge it if needed.

It is also not really good for you bike to "just start it up" when it is extremely cold, as the oil is so slow to flow you are just adding wear to your bikes internal parts....and if you ain't gonna ride it, you ain't doing anything for the condition of the oil itself.

If you got Seafoam in the tank and carbs, let the bike sit until it is nice enough to actualy ride...and that warm battery from the house will make starting it alot easier too.

So the queston as to if the bike will start in -7 degree weather is moot as no one really wants to ride in that temp anyway............

KM
I agree. I haven't started the bike since it's been "put up" for the winter. as for the battery? it's not even in the bike, i bring it in the house and put it on the tender for the winter. I won't start the bike until around april when the weather gets nice enough for me to want to ride it again.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You might want to rethink this method of winter storage dutter. In an article somewhere on winter storage for a bike, it was suggested to warm the bike up good with a short ride of 15-20 minutes and change the oil. Start it up and let it run just long enough to be sure that fresh oil has been circulated through all the system and there are no leaks. Then shut it off and do not start it again until you are ready to ride in the spring.

According to this author, starting the bike and letting it run for 10-15 minutes does not really warm up the oil very much. A bike, or car, needs to be driven for 20-30 minutes before the oil really warms up enough to boil off the water that is created as a byproduct of combustion. This moisture moves from the cylinder into the crankcase with the oil from the cylinder walls. What you are really doing is creating moisture that combines with sulpher to form sulphuric acid in the crankcase and it reacts with the bearing surfaces.

IMHO we will cause much less wear and tear due to dry starts, as KM mentions, if we follow this course of action, and either put a battery tender on to keep the battery from freezing, or remove it from the bike and bring it into a heated area for the winter. :)
this is what/how I "put up" the bike for winter. in the fall change the oil, fill tank, add seafoam, pull battery, shoehorn bike into the back of garage pull battery, cover with sheet and try try try, to forget about it until spring. but I do go out and check on it every week to make sure it's ok.

·
Registered
387 Posts
this is what/how I "put up" the bike for winter. in the fall change the oil, fill tank, add seafoam, pull battery, shoehorn bike into the back of garage pull battery, cover with sheet and try try try, to forget about it until spring. but I do go out and check on it every week to make sure it's ok.

How many batteries do you have on your bike? :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts