Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Was wondering if anyone has or can you add a 6th gear to the 750 tranny?

The only thing I never liked about the 750 was that it SCREAMED for a 6th gear on the highway! If you wanted to cruise over 65 or 70 the RPM's would get up there and a 6th gear would have helped a lot!

Can it be done?

·
Registered
335 Posts
you would have to engineer a new shift drum, counter shafts main shafts new more narrow gears and shift forks. The engineering work would cost you more than a new ducatti. The was a member that had plans to have machined a new final gear drive but it probally came out to be to expensive. I will try to find the cad drawings for you.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Yes, the Vulcan 750's RPM's screem at highway speeds, and a sixth gear seems like it would be great, but the V-twin 750 engine is made for high revs.

Don't know how many times I've (as well as probably every Vulcan 750 rider) have tried to bump it to sixth gear.... but just get used to it.
I don't see a sixth gear even if, by some miracle, Ma Kaw would bring the beloved 750 Vulcan back into production.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the Vulcan 750's RPM's screem at highway speeds, and a sixth gear seems like it would be great, but the V-twin 750 engine is made for high revs.
Is it?? Didn't realize that.
Well, that's good cuz if you want to go more than say 65 the RPM's climb fast!

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts

Don't know how many times I've (as well as probably every Vulcan 750 rider) have tried to bump it to sixth gear.... but just get used to it.
I don't see a sixth gear even if, by some miracle, Ma Kaw would bring the beloved 750 Vulcan back into production.
I do this a lot :BLAM:

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
Is it?? Didn't realize that.
Well, that's good cuz if you want to go more than say 65 the RPM's climb fast!
i think mine is spinning 5000ish rpms at 70ish( maybe a lil more ) mph , never really payed attention to the tac while cruiseing down the e ways. im always on the look out for the terd in the big truck yacking on the phone slowly comeing over to my lane

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think mine is spinning 5000ish rpms at 70ish( maybe a lil more ) mph , never really payed attention to the tac while cruiseing down the e ways. im always on the look out for the terd in the big truck yacking on the phone slowly comeing over to my lane
The problem I used to run into here in So Cal was that on many So Cal freeways the "average" speed of traffic is 70-80mph!!!
When I ride I ALWAYS try to keep up with the flow or go slightly faster to avoid being hit from behind!
So cruising at 75 or so was making the engine work pretty hard.
I think this bike was designed as more of a city cruiser than a highway one.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
hmmmm maybe shove a bigger tire on the back to drop the rpms a tad

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
Ive done 75-80 mph for up to 500 miles a day. The bike never complained. Remember, these bikes don't redline until 8,500 rpm. So 5,000 rpm is less than 60% of the maximum rpm.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Same issue with my GL500 - 6200 RPM for 70 mph - but the engine is designed to run at those speeds. Push rod engine too.

Other Kawasaki's that use shaft may have a different ratio in the rear end. Anyone try something from a KZ that fit to lower our RPMs?

DT

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
plus those high rpms let you leave the 1200 and 1600's behind on take off for a good ways, my son in law had a crotch rocket like a 600 I think and had a good time keeping up with me, made him think twice about my old man cruiser bike!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ive done 75-80 mph for up to 500 miles a day. The bike never complained. Remember, these bikes don't redline until 8,500 rpm. So 5,000 rpm is less than 60% of the maximum rpm.
No, you said that backwards....5,000RPM is about 60% OF the redline, if it's 8,500

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
No, you said that backwards....5,000RPM is about 60% OF the redline, if it's 8,500
I've been wrong many times but don't believe my math is faulty. 60% of 8,500 rpm (.6 X 8,500 = 5,100) is 5,100 rpm. So 5,000 rpm is less than 60% of the maximum rpm/redline. Not a whole lot less, but it is less, and less is the word I used. Of course someone could exceed the maximum recommended/redline rpm, but in this example, it would simply mean 5,000 rpm would be an even smaller percentage of whatever "maximum" rpm they achieved above 8,500 rpm.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I would like the extra gear myself, as I dislike the screaming engine at highway speed too.
Stock sized 100/90-15 rear tire will give 14.5 mph for every 1K rpm, so 5K rpm = 72.5 mph.
The speedo will read about 10% high.
A conservative limit of 80% X redline of 8500 rpm = 6800 rpm.
That will give you a crusing speed of almost 100 mph (98.6), so you can keep up with southern CA traffic w/o harming the 750!

Some vn750 riders have reported that the engine really wakes up at 7K rpm. Never been there myself.
The big disadvantage to high rpms is the little vixen gets really thirsty and the range drops dramatically.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been wrong many times but don't believe my math is faulty. 60% of 8,500 rpm (.6 X 8,500 = 5,100) is 5,100 rpm. So 5,000 rpm is less than 60% of the maximum rpm/redline. Not a whole lot less, but it is less, and less is the word I used. Of course someone could exceed the maximum recommended/redline rpm, but in this example, it would simply mean 5,000 rpm would be an even smaller percentage of whatever "maximum" rpm they achieved above 8,500 rpm.
Ok....well my point was the rpm's are high and you're past the "halfway" point to redline.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts