Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whoever can pull my carbs out. I've got them disconnected; I can pull them part way either direction.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Leave the boot attached to the rear cyl and the boot for the front carb attached to the carb and you should be able to get them out the right side of the bike.that's how I did mine when I rejetted them.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought, too. I'm seriously considering cutting tools at this point. I've been yanking on them for three days.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
You just have to be patient and work them out slowly. The first time I pulled mine took about 2 hours of twisting and yanking and making up new words. The last time took about 10 minutes once disconnected.

Moving the air box out of the way helps a lot. You did remove the coolant hose and thermostat housing right?? I never did remove the wiring harness and managed OK though. BMan has it right too in leaving one boot on the carb and the other on the cylinder.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Worst case scenario, undo both boots - you'll for sure get them out that way! LIning the boots back up on reinstall is a pita, but it can be done. Short of actually pulling both boots, do pull the clamps out - they can hang things up in there in ways unseen and unimagined.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I missed something. It doesn't say anything in the service manual about removing the oil line for the back cylinder. Am I supposed to? I've tried disconnecting both front and rear intakes from the carbs and the engine. When I pull, it keeps wanting to turn clockwise. If I don't let it turn, it hangs on the oil line. If it turns, I have metal to metal contact on the front cylinder.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I didn't remove the oil line when I did mine.I can't remember exactly how it went but it did take a little work to get them out.They go back in alot easier though.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This really is a joke isn't it? It's not possible to remove them without an engine pull, is it? I've even yanked loose some rubber hose, of fairly large size, and I don't even know where it goes. I've got a 2X4 jammed under the airbox, and am working it like a lever, and I can pull the carbs in and out, but I can't pull them all the way out. The left carb's drain area is jamming on the left intake, and the throttle assy is jamming on the front right fins, while the rear intake is jammed against the oil line. I've got them clear on top, but they are up as high as they can go. The airbox is as high as it can go - it's hitting the frame.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are they supposed to come out together, or do I take them apart some how before pulling them?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Did you disconnect th throttle cables from the holder on the carb? you do not have to remove them completely just take them out of the holders.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Are they supposed to come out together, or do I take them apart some how before pulling them?
They will come out together, (as one assembly).

I remember turning/twisting mine to the right a bit, but then there was so much side to side and up & down that I lost track of the sequence but they did come out.

I unscrewed and removed the idle control knob and rod, but I don't remember if that helped at all/much.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just pulled mine for the first time last night. I did have to pull the rear coupler to the engine, and give it a bit of persuasion, but they did come out. Lots of rocking, and some gentle force. some of the fuel/vacuum lines had to be resituated also; one kept getting stuck between the air box and top of carb. It's a tight fit. Just make sure everything that can be disconnected is.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
GOT IT!

Or, got them!

I pushed them back in, got on the left side of the engine, peered thru the "V" to see where the carbs would hang up if I were to push them strait thru. The most obvious hang up would be at the idle screw/rear intake (you could tell by all the dents in the aluminum on the rear intake that this was my main problem). So, instead of pulling, I pushed them thru. I had to use a screwdriver to get the front carb's bowl drain over/past the front intake rubber. When the idle screw assembly hit the rear intake aluminum, I was able to push the top of the carbs out into the open, and the idle assy eased on past the rear intake. Went to the right side, and pulled them out.

I would recommend pushing them thru and watching for the hang ups. Pulling them hides the problem areas.

On a side note, after I got them out I thought I had cracked the rear intake aluminum, but it was just a mold line. As many "dents" that were back there, I was almost expecting some damage. Glad it was just a mold mark.

Oh, and thanks for all the encouragement. I know I was a whiner during all this. We'll see what happens when I put them back...

·
the doctor
50 Posts
If all else fils remove the throtle cables and remove them on the left side, seemed a bit easier when I did it that way!

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Good, you got them out!! See, we told you you could do it.:pepper:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Well cegodsey you have really got me looking forward to the time when I get to pull my carbs. It sound like it`s going to be so much fun!

·
Registered
722 Posts
GOT IT!

Or, got them!

I pushed them back in, got on the left side of the engine, peered thru the "V" to see where the carbs would hang up if I were to push them strait thru. The most obvious hang up would be at the idle screw/rear intake (you could tell by all the dents in the aluminum on the rear intake that this was my main problem). So, instead of pulling, I pushed them thru. I had to use a screwdriver to get the front carb's bowl drain over/past the front intake rubber. When the idle screw assembly hit the rear intake aluminum, I was able to push the top of the carbs out into the open, and the idle assy eased on past the rear intake. Went to the right side, and pulled them out.

I would recommend pushing them thru and watching for the hang ups. Pulling them hides the problem areas.

On a side note, after I got them out I thought I had cracked the rear intake aluminum, but it was just a mold line. As many "dents" that were back there, I was almost expecting some damage. Glad it was just a mold mark.

Oh, and thanks for all the encouragement. I know I was a whiner during all this. We'll see what happens when I put them back...
Glad to hear you got them out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
What're YOU doin?

Now we're both in the same boat. I'm staring at mine on the bench. I pulled mine for lack of easy start, hard to idle, and hesitates at speed. If I may ask, why did you pull yours? I'd love to hear as much about carbs as I can cram into this poor little dilapidated brain as humanly possible.:rockon:

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
tiincan,

If you do a search on carbs and read the verses, you will learn more than you ever wanted to know about our carbs. Most people pull them because the bike is running like crap and the Seafoam trick didn't work.

·
Addicted to Projects
545 Posts
ce,
Now the next 57 odd times you get to pull them out, it will be easier!

or was it just me?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts