Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1 - 4 gear is fine , but 5 gear seems like missing a few teeths..
Keeps popping in and out of gear..although when engine-breaking it stays in gear..
Suspecting the forks , but not sure. Anyone who`s been there?

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I'm not sure what the forks would do with your shifting issue?

- Clutch problem, such as weak springs, worn plates, mal-adjusted?
- Genuine internal transmission issues

Is there any noise associated with the problem?

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
I'm not sure what the forks would do with your shifting issue?

- Clutch problem, such as weak springs, worn plates, mal-adjusted?
- Genuine internal transmission issues

Is there any noise associated with the problem?
Am guessing he means the "shifter forks". Popping out of gear usually isn't due to the clutch.

But may be an issue with the shift linkage. Most likely something is broke in the transmission. Never had the Vulcan gearbox apart so not sure what be the likely suspect....as it seems to go into gear just not stay there....:confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Am guessing he means the "shifter forks". Popping out of gear usually isn't due to the clutch.

But may be an issue with the shift linkage. Most likely something is broke in the transmission. Never had the Vulcan gearbox apart so not sure what be the likely suspect....as it seems to go into gear just not stay there....:confused:

Yup..shifterforks..
It is a lot of work taking the engine apart , so thats a winter-project for me..

·
Registered
384 Posts
If there was a problem with the shifter forks, there would be an issue with the rest of the gears.
There are 3 different shift forks, and it's possible one might be bent. The shift dogs on the gear might be worn and not letting it go in gear completely.
Does it pop out of gear under acceleration? Or when you are at cruising speed?
After you get in 5th gear, hold the shifter up with your foot, and see if it still wants to pop out of gear. And see if you can feel the shifter move. Does the tranny make any kind of noise?
Does it down shift ok? How hard is it to go in 1st gear?
Try and find out as much as you can and when it does it the most, and we might be able to help you more with it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Also on the shift drum and shift lever and spring assembly one of those could be bent or the pin for 5th could be bent or broken off.
There is a spring in there that if it's broke will give you problems. When you are up and down shifting, does the shifter feel positive or does it feel loose and wobbly?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I`ve tried holding the shifter up when putting in 5 gear , without any diff.
Its smooth getting in all the gears , and nothing else feels wrong with the tranny..
Tomorrow i will remove the cover with the oil-window and inspect there..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well... pulled the engine , and split the case.
Found nothing obviously wrong , but suspect previous owner has split th case and shimmed the gears wrong. The 5th gear in the bottom is slightly rounded on dogs and "dogholes"...but only slightly...
Does anyone know how rounded it can be?

Please excuse my english..from Norway..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts