Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are the gears so short on this bike. Geez. I just want to cruise at highway speeds and be at or below 3k. What have you done to help the rediculously short top end gear? I swear every time i ride i try to kick it into an invisible 6th gear.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Not trying to be rude, but if that's what you want get a different bike. The engine on this bike is made to run higher RPMs than your standard cruiser these days. It doesn't affect the gas mileage or performance of the bike. That is just the way the engine is made.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Why are the gears so short on this bike. Geez. I just want to cruise at highway speeds and be at or below 3k. What have you done to help the rediculously short top end gear? I swear every time i ride i try to kick it into an invisible 6th gear.
The bike was designed in the 80s for 55mph speed limit. The engine was also designed for mid to high RPM usage, not low down (0-2k). Nothing to really do about it, the engine is fine at the RPMs required for freeway riding.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
+1

The 750 in our bikes is happiest at 4-5k according to most riders. some frequently run over 6k for long times without issues.

If your bike sounds like its gonna self destruct at that rpm, then you need to look at it mechanically. Bad cam tensioners, or other problems can make them really noisy

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
This is an observation, not a personal attack:

Why are the majority of new members complaining about the same "problem"? If you read through some of the discussions and information that has been around you wouldn't be so shocked when your bike runs at higher than expected rpms. There is no 6th gear, they never intended to have one and it is designed to run in the mid to high range of the rpms.

Again, not an attack but an observation.

You can't drop rpms like other bikes because of the shaft drive and gearing. Possible changes could be to put a different size tire on the back, but you won't see a drastic change.

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can't drop rpms like other bikes because of the shaft drive and gearing. Possible changes could be to put a different size tire on the back, but you won't see a drastic change.
Because of the shaft drive. Thank you.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Ha, ha, maybe they made it so you could kick tail on some of those good roads you have around Signal Mtn., like Mullins cove or comin up 127, or the W road ...lol... And you ain't far from some other serious Mtn. roads... Like others have said it likes to run in kinda high RPMs, and that is where it lives well... Hey go ahead and rev. her, I dropped mine and tried to hold it up by the throttle, and when I saw the tach it was coming out of the bottom somewhere around 12k, so I know for a fact they will turn up some Rs. ...lol...
I'm not too far from you, over in Winchester...
FOB---Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I think what M_angell is referring to is because of the shaft drive, we cannot easily change our final drive ratio. We cant change out sprockets (chain drive) or pulleys (belt drive).
Exactly. Its the same story with nearly every shaft drive bike.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
4K @ 55mph, hmmm. That means it has 4500 rpm left to redline. Sounds like you need to twist the wick up a little. That's below half of recommended max rpms, right in the middle is where that little fellow is starting to run good. :rockon:

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Well I couldn't remember (CRS) the exact RPMs I turned @ speeds, so when I rode yesterday I made a mental note and thought I had better post it before it gets deleted maybe this afternoon...lol... In 5th gear on the 1200 Sportster I am turning +/- 2.8k or just shy of 2.9k...
When I ride with my club geezer glide buddies @ 40-50mph I am usually in 4th gear with an occasional 5th in a kinda down hill section, if I don't forget...lol... With the vn750 I usually rode in 5th with an occasional 4th gear on an incline... So, it seems like about 6 of one and a half dozen of the other ...IMO...

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
Uh, can't count? ;)

... What they all said^. I don't think I even shifted into 5th until I was doing 60.....

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
/\ Yep, mine don't gets unhappy till I get under 21-23C RPM, and it really shakes like a Sportster down around 17C RPM especially if you screw up and put a bit of a load on it. ...
Fixed it fer ya KM, I was one tired ole boy yesterday after digging a hole for a flag pole and pourin the bit of concrete...lol...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I rode a buddy of mines Suzuki SV1000 which is a 1000cc V-Twin, and at 60 mph that was turning around 4k or so. The Vulcan 750's motor is set up more like a sport bike V-Twin than a cruiser V-Twin so it likes to rev. Only problem I have is that due to having the Vance and Hines Cruisers on it doing 70 mph on the interstate turning 5-5.5k RPM it gets a bit obnoxious. Not to mention the high frequency vibration at that particular RPM and speed. However I avoid the superslab most of the time and am happy riding along all day long no faster than 55-60 continuously.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Think you need a decimal point in between those numbers OD.... :)
Although with the stories I hear about OD taking turns and scraping pegs maybe he really meant what he said. :)

And with my V&H exhaust I haven't really noticed an annoying drone, but it may be there. I tend to tune things out when I'm focused on riding.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
And with my V&H exhaust I haven't really noticed an annoying drone, but it may be there. I tend to tune things out when I'm focused on riding.
Maybe you're already a bit deaf from it....:)
Switch bikes with a freind and try riding behind your bike with theirs. It's usually louder behind.....

There is a word for a sportster that trys turning 23,000 RPMs.......

Lawn-Art

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
Uh, can't count? ;)

... What they all said^. I don't think I even shifted into 5th until I was doing 60.....
I can't count while I'm riding cause id have to take both hands offa the bars.:motorcycl

1 - 20 of 65 Posts