Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pretty consistently get 40mpg. I see the bike is rated at 50. I rebuilt the carbs and replaced the rich main jet with the oem spec so I'm a bit surprised I'm so far from spec. Is 50mpg reasonable?

-Robert

·
Registered
56 Posts
My mileage wasn't great on the bike when I got it. Changed the acct's for mcct's and synced the carbs. Last tank I got 50 mpg on it.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I'm just over 300. My bike is always around 48 to 50 mpg by the speedometer trip meter and the calculator. Keep in mind though that the speedo is on the fast side so the trip meter is gonna read more miles than it should.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Reasonable...it all depends on how much weight you are carrying, how un-aerodynamic you are (i.e. big freaking windshield), how fast you accelerate, how fast you drive, if you engine brake when coming to a stop, etc. And that's not even looking at whether you have made any mods to the bike or if it is tuned and running properly.

I ride nearly everyday to work 27 miles each way. Mostly highway (65-75mph). I average 47 mpg. I can slow down and get more, but I ride the way I like and that's 3+ times the mpg I get in my truck.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
consistently get 40mpg.
I rebuilt the carbs and replaced the rich main jet with the oem spec so I'm a bit surprised I'm so far from spec. Is 50mpg reasonable?

-Robert
The main jet/shims will have little to do with mileage. I suppose if you are running 85.

Do you have stock exhaust? Does your bike require near constant throttle input to maintain a steady hyway speed?

Just highway @65, I get 54-56 mpg. Short trip mostly highway 47-51. Bike trip meter. Stock size front tire.

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
42-44 mpg no matter what, but I have too much fun. Oversize front tire, speedo within -1 mph correct, by gps.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
I between 46 and 53 mpg depending on the type of riding I am doing. Longer trips that include highway speeds will bring me up to the top end and short hops around town and getting on it a bit will keep me at 46 with no complaints. That is with a complete stock setup.

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts
I'm usually around 40, but that's with a big fairing and a strong right hand. I have got as much as 45, but that's it. I know that others regularly get 50+ but i didn't buy the bike for economy. I have ear shaved and re-jetted (conservatively) but I also believe in avoiding trouble by being in front of it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
I averaged low 40's and it was always wtfo lol

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Something I learned when I mounted a big faring on my 450 Nighthawk. A large faring creates a lot of additional wind resistance and lowers fuel mileage several mpg.

·
R/R = Relocated Redneck
628 Posts

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
True, the larger windscreen sure is nice in the winter but it went when I sold the 450

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually, since the speedo reads 10 mph high I'm probably only getting mid 30's!. I'm totally stock with no windshield. This doesn't sound right. I'm running the stock jets.

My rides tend to be foothills windy roads. I'm also 6'4" 230#. Maybe that's a factor too???

-Robert

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Actually, since the speedo reads 10 mph high I'm probably only getting mid 30's!. I'm totally stock with no windshield. This doesn't sound right. I'm running the stock jets.

My rides tend to be foothills windy roads. I'm also 6'4" 230#. Maybe that's a factor too???

-Robert
Robert, if I were in your position I would verify that highway speeds are still on the pilot circuit. For instance, my bike will runabout 60-65 mph indicated @ about 1/4 inch of throttle twist. This is on flat pavement w/no noticeable headwind.

I would probably use a couple of small pieces of tape and mark maybe 25% of throttle opening.

If you are spending time cruising out of the pilot circuit, your mileage will suffer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts