Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hadn't been able to ride for awhile due to broken turn signals, after replacing them I went out to work and noticed that the bike started sputtering in fifth gear. So I pulled the carbs ( what an adventure the first time!) and cleaned the main jets. Re-installed and same thing so they came back out and I all jets this time to no avail, called in a mechanic who discovered that the main jet holders were slightly bent, so $300 in parts and labor later I'm all excited to get out on the road and now sputtering and a backfire to go with it. It will start and idle with some hesitation and apparent misfiring, oh I did an oil change and new plugs just in case, but when you go to pull off once I let off the clutch and try to apply throttle she chokes out and I have to start her back up.

·
Super Moderator
2,595 Posts
what modifications (if any) are on the bike.

also, after mine sat for 4 weeks for stator/regulator work, when I fired it up, it wasn't wanting to run, other than poorly idle.. put fresh gas in tank and after a couple minutes, it was running fine

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no mods, all stock, i removed the fairing that came on the front for weight but that's pretty much, all the parts we bought were oem replacements. The gas in there now is maybe 2 weeks old so I can try fresh gas but I did that after the first and second cleanings and it doesn't seem to matter.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
make sure you don't have vacuum leak on the carb to head boots, souns like one to me, just to hazard a guess. while its idling you can squirt some starting fluid around the boots and listen for it to gain rpms. Go easy on the staritng fluid so it doesn't suck in to the normal intakes.

if you smoke or have buddy that does you can fire one up and hold it near the intake rubber boots and watch for the smoke to either suck into the engine or to be blown back. It can do either, hope that helps !!!

Oh yeah! check that Clutch switch and the sidestand switch connections , if it revs up in neutral and only does it when you are trying to get moving you could have an electrical problem that is easy to fix. But i still think you have a vacuum leak since the carbs have been off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I drained the tank and went to a different gas station and got different, high octane gas (was using '87 and went to '93) and seems to idle better and now i can put it in first gear and when i start to let off the clutch it goes a little like it's fine and i was able to take it around the parking lot with no hesitations that i could feel but, now I notice a coolant leak coming down the right side of the air collector and dripping down on the fan the onto the oil filter. thermostat?

·
Super Moderator
2,595 Posts
theres an O ring in the housing where the coolant hose comes into it from the rear of the housing. that may be leaking (mine did when I did my ear shave). good news is, there are o rings avail at the car parts places that will fit (real tight, might need to put some vasoline on to get it all the way in).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
so do i need to drain the coolant and relieve air pressure before starting as the service manual states, I only ask because the manual doesn't specifically reference that o ring which I can see in the exploded view.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts