Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike just started doing this. Let me explain. When I get going in first gear, I can smoothly accellerate up to around 3000 RPM, then it sounds like comething chokes in the exhaust and a muffled pop occurs............Immediately after the pop, it's hold on. Sort of like it's running smooth at low RPM, starving for a second, and then burps out.

Also at cruising speed of around 55-60 mph, it feels like it's missing like crazy, back and forth, but the Tach doesn't move, steady as a rock. I can't hear anything either, just feels like it's lurching back and forth. I haven't a clue. Please help.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
I'd run a good dose of SeaFoam through the gas/carbs as see if that evens it out. Most dirty carb problems seem to show up at higher rpms.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dianna,
I found some SeaFoam today at Advance Auto Parts. I'll give it a whirl and post the results. This board is full of great folks.......Thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok,
Now what do I do once I put the Seafoam in the tank and how much for the tank. I assume a "good dose" is more than the 2-3 ounces recommended on the can. Can I take it up to high RPM, or should I cruise around for one tank of fuel?

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
I'd go a double dose (some have used half a can) and run the tank through. One note, this may loosen up a bunch of crud from your tank. Check your float and spray some carb cleaner into your carbs to help clean themafter 50 miles or so, then check again in another 50.

One other thought I had about the "rough" 3000+rpm..
Have you done an ear shave on the bike?
The hose that used to be in the right airbox that came from the carb.. make sure this is not bottomed out if it is still in the air box. Cut it at a 45 degree angle and tuck it back into place,
If the airbox has been removed.. where is the tube now? it needs to be tucked in somewhere so it gets a steadier airflow like tucked in along the gas tank, and not out in the open.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hose is OK. Tank of SeaFoam is not effective. It still has a throaty sort of choking sound at cruise. May have trash in the carbs or needs some adjusting at the mix screws. Any input on how to get this done is appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just checked my air filters to see if maybe some trash had broken loose and possibly entered through the intake. Guess what, no filters, only two screen cages. I probably have all sorts of crud in my carbs. What do y'all suggest?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts