Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Kawasaki VN750
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I replaced my battery and every time I connect both terminals it arcs and blows my 30A fuse. Any idea what that could be or what the 30A controls?

thanks everyone for your tips. Unfortunately it was a very simple mistake. The terminals were flipped. We took the fuses out trying to troubleshoot when we saw the mistake and after flipping the battery we turned it on and fried the blinker module. Any one who knows where to find a module online would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
This is an general answer to a general description of the issue. You have a short in the system. You have to inspect the wiring.

·
Super Moderator
2,589 Posts
If I recall the 30 amp fuse is the main fuse for the entire electrical system. First thing I would try is pull all other fuses and see if the remains. I think about the only thing that would blow that fuse by itself is a shorted r/r

I dont have my Vulcan anymore so all of this is from my swiss cheezy memory

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
So, there's very little connected through that fuse when the ignition is 'off'. Just the starter relay, the fan relay and the R/R, really.
Start by disconnecting the connector on the R/R and the 10-pin connector from the JB.

You should check for a short between the white wire on the regulator plug and the frame, indicating that the white wire is grounding out somewhere between there and the ignition switch, probably near the neck.

Next, check the fan circuit by checking for a short between the black/yellow wire from the JB to the frame.
Might as well check the blue wire to frame. There should be some connectivity, but not a dead short (measuring the resistance of the fan motor coils)

If that all checks out, your wiring loom is probably OK, and the most likely culprit is the fan relay in the JB. Measure from the white wire on the R/R plug (using red probe) to the black/yellow wire on the black/yellow wire on the JB connector (black probe). If you get a dead short, your fan relay is shorted, and you'll either need a new JB or will need to wire in a manual fan switch.

·
2,580 Posts
I had the same problem. Wire harnesses rubbed through a wire where the harnesses fires around the neck into the headlight bucket. Happens a lot.

Reactions: Alphaspector

·
Super Moderator
12,072 Posts
+1 on checking the wire harness by the neck.
Also, check the wires in the headlight bucket. Although the bucket is plastic, the chrome finish makes it conductive and wires can rub bare from vibration and short out in the shell.
Tracing down a short can be a PIA, good luck.👍

·
Registered
676 Posts
I think the blinker module is a standard automotive flasher relay. It should be easy to find.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts