Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Sparky!!!
8,709 Posts
Crimp connectors... boooooo. Solder and heat shrink.... yaaay.

12ga wire is good.

Nice thing about the MOSFET RR, it does away with all the factory RR wiring, bypasses the junction box, and goes straight to the battery.

I don't know what's going on, wires too hot to touch but charging. ???? RR going out? 14.6v is a bit on the high end.
My thought is that the stator might be putting out more amps than the stock R/R can handle. Since the stock R/R is a shunt to ground voltage regulator, it’s going to push all the extra amperage out as heat… either from the R/R itself, or from the stator wires as described.

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
My thought is that the stator might be putting out more amps than the stock R/R can handle. Since the stock R/R is a shunt to ground voltage regulator, it’s going to push all the extra amperage out as heat… either from the R/R itself, or from the stator wires as described.
Wonder if this is how they all fail? RR doesn't bleed off the heat like it should.

Still pointing at a failing RR? Maybe we should see what the AC volts are on the stator.

RR and stator were both dead on mine.

Weird that the stator leads are too hot to touch, but the RR plug hasn't melted at all. But it sounds like the heat is all down toward the stator.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
The OP stated he had a section of wire that felt messed up if that section is corroding it may still be conducting but not as efficiently as the rest of the wiring and building up heat.

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
The OP stated he had a section of wire that felt messed up if that section is corroding it may still be conducting but not as efficiently as the rest of the wiring and building up heat.
I figured it had been cooked by the heat, working it's way to the RR plug.

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
You may be right, I just go simple first for troubleshooting , if the wiring is junk it can ef up everything else
Have seen it before, the overheated insulation loses most or all of it's flexibility, sometimes just breaks and crumbles when you move it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Guys....Happy to report that once I replaced about 6 inches of the 3 yellow wires that was bullet connected to the stator, the "Hot to the touch" wire issue has been resolved! I could not find High temperature 12 gauge wire, but found High temp 14 gauge wire (+200 degree Fahrenheit) and replaced the stiff -not bendable yellow wires that connected to stator. Had the bike at idle till it reached normal operating temperature and wires were just a barely warm to touch.

Once weather starts to cool off a bit , going to do the Pickup coil mod and reduce the gap to 0.20 . I have been dealing with hot start, backfire issue at gas stations and short stops ever since I owned the bike, even with top of the line sealed battery, irradium spark plugs. Many...Many thanks to all of you for all the help on this forum......you guys are Awesome!!!

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
Guys....Happy to report that once I replaced about 6 inches of the 3 yellow wires that was bullet connected to the stator, the "Hot to the touch" wire issue has been resolved! I could not find High temperature 12 gauge wire, but found High temp 14 gauge wire (+200 degree Fahrenheit) and replaced the stiff -not bendable yellow wires that connected to stator. Had the bike at idle till it reached normal operating temperature and wires were just a barely warm to touch.

Once weather starts to cool off a bit , going to do the Pickup coil mod and reduce the gap to 0.20 . I have been dealing with hot start, backfire issue at gas stations and short stops ever since I owned the bike, even with top of the line sealed battery, irradium spark plugs. Many...Many thanks to all of you for all the help on this forum......you guys are Awesome!!!
Try the choke with no throttle on those short stops, works on mine. I don't have the pickup mod yet .

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
The choke definitely helped but wast a cure all for my bike. I did the mod and this summer has had multiple heat waves and no starting problems whatsoever. Just be sure to put sealant on the cover when you’re done. The stock seal didn’t hold up after I popped it off the first time

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Guys....I just finished the pick up coil mod Saturday morning on my Vulcan 750. Oh....My God..... What a difference!!!! The bike starts Hot and cold with just a push of a button! I followed the directions and set the gap to 0.020 and used the dremel tool to shave just a little off the pick up coil bracket and elongated the screw holes. I have not taken the bike out for a long ride, but just trying in my garage , I can tell the difference of how quickly the bike starts!! weather was rainy...so I'll ride it next few days to make sure.

Thanks again for the help & sharing the knowledge.....hope this info helps the next person!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts