Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice guys, just given engine an oil change, however the sump plug snapped! Can't get a replacement for at least 3 days. The bike is stored in garage but the weather here is set to get real chilly. I have plugged the engine but it has no oil, is there a danger of anything seizing, if so when i refill what should i do before attempting to start the bike again?:doh:

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Need some advice guys, just given engine an oil change, however the sump plug snapped! Can't get a replacement for at least 3 days. The bike is stored in garage but the weather here is set to get real chilly. I have plugged the engine but it has no oil, is there a danger of anything seizing, if so when i refill what should i do before attempting to start the bike again?:doh:
You only need oil if the bike is going to run. Since it did have oil in it , even briefly, all the needed parts should have a oil coating on them so they likely will not rust.

When you refill with oil you not have any problems starting the bike...(there is still oil in the oil filter right?)

3 days with no oil should not be a problem.

KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
There are two possible drain plugs on the vn750 engine, one on the bottom of the crankcase, and the preferred one to use on the lower left side by the sidestand. When you say *sump plug* I visualize the lowest one on the bottom. That is not the drain you want to use.

There is an oil screen/filter and spring behind the drain bolt on the left side. You want to pull that screen out with every oil change to check for any metal shavings or rubber/plastic chunks from the balancer dampers. SO, if that is not the bolt you broke, pull it out now and check the screen.:smiley_th

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The plug is the one on the left side of the bike with the oil screen. I have cleaned all parts and also have a new oil filter on. The replacement plug will be a modified " magnetic " type.

I can't put any oil in the bike until this arrives, which won't be for 3 days, i just need to know if everything will be fine till then, thanks.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
The plug is the one on the left side of the bike with the oil screen. I have cleaned all parts and also have a new oil filter on. The replacement plug will be a modified " magnetic " type.

I can't put any oil in the bike until this arrives, which won't be for 3 days, i just need to know if everything will be fine till then, thanks.
As stated above, everything will be fine, as a fact you should have the best drain on the market at 3 days, shucks I only let mine drain for about 3 mins. ...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
If it was going to sit a year without oil in it, you might (emphasize "might") get some corrosion from moisture, but as KM said, there should be a good coating of oil on all working parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts