Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I recently bought a 2006 vulcan 750 and it was running great then I went for a 30 mile ride and it died on me at a red light. I got it home and charged the battery and it started up with no problem. so I figured it might just be the battery. So I went to Sams club and bought a new one. I rode it a couple times and when I stopped to fill her up the battery was dead. Not sure whats going on hoping someone can help me get her up and running. Also I took off the side cover and noticed there are two wires not connected to anything. Could this be my problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Those two wires are accessory wires, for attaching things like charging ports, heated gloves, lighting, etc.
If you're experiencing battery drain while riding, you most likely have an issue with the charging system. Failed stators and R/Rs are one of the most common failures on this bike. Search around and you should find several threads that explain how to check the status of those components.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,324 Posts
Check the plug to the rectifier as well

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
The first simple test to do is get a voltmeter and put it across the battery, with the engine off the voltage should be in the 12.5ish. This is the sitting voltage level of your battery. 12.1 or .2 is a bad battery. When you start the bike it should have a similar reading at idle, then rev the motor to about 3500-4000 rpms. You should see the voltage increase up to anywhere from 13.7 to 14.5. If it doesn’t increase or decrease for that matter you’re bike isn’t recharging the battery.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
There are some GREAT write-ups here for R/R and stator diagnosis using a volt meter. You can read them and basically teach yourself. Trust me, if I can do it anyone can. I did this just a few months ago and have posted about my issues. So if you come across R/R or stator test questions, I'm here to help also. Hopefully it's just your R/R...the stator replacement on these bikes is a challenge because the best way is to move the engine out of the frame a bit to make room for the job. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered a voltmeter it will be here tomorrow. i will try and work on it then and write what i find i truly appreciate everyone here. Talk to you tomorrow

·
Registered
53 Posts
On the left side of your bike coming out of the crankcase (*rite behind your left ankle if you were riding the bike) you should see 3 yellows wires coming out of the crankcase.. follow those wires and you should find that they plug into a block connector or bullet connector... check inside all those connections and make sure that the block does not have any shorts ANYWHERE on those wires and also make sure they have not burnt up.. if your r/r is still in the "hot box" and has not been relocated yet then its likely you will run into that kinda trouble at somepoint

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got my voltmeter! Charged the battery a couple days ago and hooked it up on my bike. The reading was 12.56 turned off. Started the bike and revved it to 5000 rpms and it read 12.33.I took off the cover where the r/r is and the plug looks pretty corroded. Is this my problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
It's definitely not charging. The corroded RR plug doesn't help, but you won't know until it's all cleaned up and then do the tests.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well 1st things 1st sent you already have that block connector to your are unplugged grab your Multi meter and do a "Continuity" test on the rr itself.. youtube how to do that test.. it will shiw you step by step. It would take longer for one of us up here to type the process in words than it would for youbto watch the vid and do it urself... Wants you have determined the results of that test move to your state or run a test on it. Also a 1000 videos shown on YouTube of how to perform that test once you have confirmed that the stator and/RR are both good you have narrowed your issue down to connections i.e. Your corroded plug or a grounded wire within the electrical system, the charging system in particular.. should not take much tracing to find the wires going from your rectifier up to your main electrical wire harness just make sure all 6 of those wires have no breaks or possible grounds in them.. soon as all that is done make sure you report ALL your finds back on this site under this post.. we got a great set of guys an gals up here that wont stop until your prob is fixed, however we must stay informed to be able to help!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts