Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just got done replacing a coolant and took off my gas tank and bought a new battery I put the gas tank on and installed battery but now my bike has no power at all nothing will turn on and everything did before

· Registered
10,830 Posts
Hi I just got done replacing a coolant and took off my gas tank and bought a new battery I put the gas tank on and installed battery but now my bike has no power at all nothing will turn on and everything did before
No horsepower or no electric?

What's the battery voltage reading?

· Registered
10,830 Posts
It’s a brand new battery straight from store and ya no dash lights turn on when I turn the key and I can’t start it or anything
I want to see if the battery is any good.

Any chance it's connected backwards?

Just sounds like something happened with the battery swap.

New batteries can be stone cold dead. I hope it's an AGM though.

If the battery is good, then next I want to check out the ignition switch. Had any trouble like this before?

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got the bike couple days ago just been going through everything cleaning it up I’ll have to take it to get tested again tmrw even though it’s brand new it’s a duralast gold and I mean I have positive and negative in the right place

· Registered
10,830 Posts
Would the ignition switch make the bike not have any dash lights headlights etc working ?
Yes, it could, except the headlight doesn't work until the engine starts, it's designed that way. It's common for the contacts in the switch to get dirty or just make poor contact, then you get no dash lights, tail light, etc.

Check the battery voltage, if that checks out then check the battery cables on both ends. Try flipping the switch on/off a few times to see if you get any lights at all.

The connectors under the left front of the gas tank can become loose also.

If you end up needing a battery, an AGM type really helps with starting on this bike, well worth the extra money. This bike doesn't like wet cell batteries at all, it will be harder to start and backfire a lot more with a wet cell.

· Premium Member
5,005 Posts
It’s a brand new battery straight from store and ya no dash lights turn on when I turn the key and I can’t start it or anything
It isn't unheard of for a new battery to be bad out of the box. Knew a guy who bought a new battery and had issues like yours. He had it load tested and it checked out ok, but was still bad. Easy way to see if the battery is weak is to jump the bike from a car, just be sure the car engine is off when you do. If it starts up when jumped, the bike battery is weak.

Deka makes top quality AGM batteries that fit the Vulcan. My first one lasted over 10 years.

· Registered
412 Posts
The connectors under the left front of the gas tank can become loose also.
You said you pulled the tank so make sure and check the plug connection Spockster is talking about. My son's 05 had a problem with that connection and if the handlebars were turned either to the right or the left the power would cut out. There was a sweet spot where it would start and run so we didn't catch it for a while and chased a problem that we thought was caused by the ignition switch. All I did in the end was unplug it and spray CRC cleaner in it, then plug and unplug it a few times. The switch may have been bad also but I know the plug was dirty because that was the final repair that fixed his electrical problems at the time. Even if it is not the problem it is easy to eliminate.

I would also suggest removing, cleaning and double checking every ground connection you can get to. There can be a bad connection that looks good but is not. A little time, some sandpaper (or a wire brush) then some dielectric grease can save a lot of trouble down the way and will make sure everything has a solid foundation, ground wise anyway.

· Registered
10,830 Posts
I’m trying to check all connections but everything looks fine I’m gonna try to jump to check battery maybe I should take tank back off and check underneath if I accidentally in plugged something?
Was there a second wire connected on the positive side?

Anyone know? I know mine has one extra but I was thinking there was already two on there when I added another one. Been years since I've had the seat off mine.

You do have an AGM battery, so that's good news.

· Registered
412 Posts
The connection for the harness to the headlight, ignition switch, etc. has the connection under the reflector on the left side of the bike. Pulling the tank can sometimes "jostle" the harness and it might be loose. You might want to check it.

Also the in the picture the end of the negative (black) cable where it is fastened to the frame looks like it may need to be sanded and reattached. (Unless you already did after the photo.) My positive on my bike has a connection to a relay, connection to my voltmeter and a connection for my battery tender in addition to the one to the starter relay. I don't think there was another but it is getting crowded.

You did check your fuses right?

· Premium Member
5,005 Posts
Not all AGM batteries are built to the same standard. The first one I installed on the Vulcan was an inexpensive Chinese made one. Thought I would save a few bucks. It failed suddenly after 18 months. Still showed 12v, but there weren't enough amps to turn the engine over.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts