Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2005 VN750 with a bad title for $500. Thinking I could maybe swap motors with my 85 VN700cc instead of replacing stator since it needs overhauled too. Was told the 2005 has sat out in open weather a little over a year and engine had a tapping noise last time it was started. It sat with forks in locked position...can turn key one notch to "Off" and unlock forks but that's as far as I can get it to go. Key works gas tank, rear toolbox, helmet locks, so it probably is right key. Guy said he thinks someone tried force to unlock forks without key as it was parked outside on city block.

I'm trying to get switch "On" so I can try to crank and hear engine run. But also, I notice little differences in motors. Will 2005 fit my 85? and this 2005 has a factory blue switch mounted on the left plastic fork cover...you can tell by factory ridge molded in plastic around the switch...what does it do?

I can't see threads in forum or open any unless it is the last one showing to right of dept. Working on that.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
I'm trying to get switch "On" so I can try to crank and hear engine run. But also, I notice little differences in motors. Will 2005 fit my 85? and this 2005 has a factory blue switch mounted on the left plastic fork cover...you can tell by factory ridge molded in plastic around the switch...what does it do?

I can't see threads in forum or open any unless it is the last one showing to right of dept. Working on that.
Am not aware of any switch on the either of the front forks. Photos would help here.

The 05 should fit in your 85 frame, there were no real differences in the motors other than bore size....so all engine mounts should line up.

The other locks on the bike only use 3 pins...tool box, helmet locks, fuel cap. To turn the ignition on, the lock has 4 or 5 pins than must match up with the key.......thus, it is possible to use a key from a different bike to open the gas cap, tool box, etc, but not turn on the ignition.

It is also possible someone tried to "pick" the lock and Fkd it up , or the key might be bad.

Other than calling in a locksmith, your best bet is just to use the ignition lock/switch off your 85.

Before doing this, you might try pumping a little pentatrating oil in the lock , as it is very possible it may just messed up from sitting so long.

KM

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Knife, I bookmarked topic here since it is only way I can get back right now.

I'm willing to try any other thing in the world than removing switch from '85 to try and crank motor on 2005 and reinstalling switch back to 85 after I'm finished. Never messed with switch before, might mess both up, maybe lazy...is it a big job? Tried lube, and I'm fairly sure it is right key and guy did say he thought someone messed with it when it sat outside. I was thinking of them tying to pop lock, but maybe picking too. Someone did mess with switch he said.

Anyhow here is pic with 2005 unknown factory switch:

And pic of badly abused 2005 VN750 by Harley lovers, 13,xxx mi., $500, parts for '85.
Title has $3500 lien, signed over to me by owner. Picked up yesterday, be Monday before help comes to get out of truck:

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Before doing this, you might try pumping a little pentatrating oil in the lock , as it is very possible it may just messed up from sitting so long.
KM
Yep, like KM said, maybe a drop of "Lock-Ease" or two, or penetrating oil, then a bit of jiggleing...lol...
If that don't work it is probably shot, so hot wire it, or swap out the switches...
PS-That factory switch looks like an add on to me, could be about anything... I've had new 03s & 06s, neither had that switch...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Mine doesn't have that switch, I don't think it's a factory switch. Maybe someone bypassed the ignition switch with it? Or used it for something else.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Okay, took flashlight and knife out to investigate closer. What I took for factory ridge around switch showed to be part of switch trim when I put knife under it and pried up.

Any clear instructions on hot wiring to see if I can get engine to turn over or crank. Inside of tank was shiny and I filled with gas and Seafoam on the way home. I'll keep lubing and jiggling until Monday when I can take out of truck. After that I wouldn't mind trying to remove ignition switch on 2005 or sticking screwdriver to turn...maybe look for another switch on eBay...and after I remove switch from 2005 I might see how complicated it is and if not to bad, take the one out of my '85. Have to think about it. I'm good at messing things up.

Motor was said to run good, use no oil, but developed tapping noise after setting up and last cranked...and said bike never ran hot anytime at all...I need to crank it and see before thinking about swapping them out. I don't know if I can do this, but I know I can try.

--
BTW, think a locksmith could fix?

-

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I'm wondering if the hydraulic (lifters? not sure that's the right part) leaked down while sitting so long and made that noise.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Someone with a service manual should be able to help you with the hot wire, I let mine go to another vn750 owner...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just a thought....that switch could be a bypass for the cooling fan. Mine has one in the same posistion.

if you should get the key to on, try the thing and see.:carryflag:rockon::motorcycl

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Just a thought....that switch could be a bypass for the cooling fan. Mine has one in the same posistion.

if you should get the key to on, try the thing and see.:carryflag:rockon::motorcycl
It might also be a bypass switch for the ignition. Had to have one installed in a car I owned as a kid. Turn the ignition as far as it will go, flip the blue switch, press the starter button. See what happens.

BTW, that doesn't look like a stock seat. What is it?

·
2,527 Posts
Like Old dog said, why don't you just pull the switch off your old bike and try it on the new one? Then you could unlock your steering too.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm wondering if the hydraulic (lifters? not sure that's the right part) leaked down while sitting so long and made that noise.
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering...or something simple like the ACCTs. I couldn't even see if the motor turned over or not...stator charging or not...a blind sale and you never know for sure if what anyone says is truthful or not...figured for a complete 2005 bike, 13k miles, everything wouldn't be bad or worn out so I plunged the $500, and a good running motor would really brighten my day. I did look through the dime size oil glass and couldn't see anything...I thought, if there is no oil showing I'll pass this by for sure. But I kept tilting and saw it was overfull a bit and that's why I couldn't see anything...didn't look too black...I figured the Harley guys probable just dumped the whole gallon in it. They said they didn't know much about VN750s. So, I didn't say anything about it. And since there were no leaks showing anywhere I figured it might be alright. He said it didn't use any oil.

So yeah, I want to get a battery on it and see some lights shining. Bike looks better after I washed it. But it needs a better scrubbing as the sap and stuff is in all the tight places and takes some heavy scrubbing...and some black leather dye on the saddle bags. But it's the engine I'd like to get to know about first.

Another thing, I don't know if I like the Corbin seat better than factory or not. It sits hard and seems to put you a couple of inches more forward, but I haven't ridden in over a year now, so I may be wrong. Guess I was expecting heaven when I sat in it. :)

And yeah, I like the location of the switch and am sure I can use it for something...when I asked the Harley guy what it was for, he said, "I don't know." It may be unhooked.

-

·
Registered
900 Posts
you should be able to remove the old key switch.. have to get the angle jsut right with everything.. but it will come out.. you can then take the electroniks off of the key switch.. use a small screw driver to turn the "puck" to the on position...if not.. then maybe a jumper wire to put the bike in the start position.....it looks like you picked up some good parts for the price you paid!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I figured these Harley guys probable just dumped the whole gallon in it. Either they didn't know much about VN750s or they were acting like they didn't. One thing was clear, they would just as soon get drunk and take a pizz on it as not. They didn't care for it at all, but they loved HDs.
Another thing, I don't know if I like the Corbin seat better than factory or not. It sits hard and seems to put you a couple of inches more forward, but I haven't ridden in over a year now, so I may be wrong. Guess I was expecting heaven when I sat in it. :)
-
Glad I have a Sportster, too much bashing the Harley riders on here...lol... Just kiddin, it don't bother me...(much)...lol...
OK-The Corbin seat... I bought a used 06 after wrecking mine and it had a Corbin seat which I kinda thought was a bit hard too, but after a bit either it got broke in to my tail or my tail got broke in to it and I liked it better than the stock seat... For one thing it did not give me the tail burn that the stock seat did, and it let me do longer rides with more comfort...
I wouldn't be too quick to get rid of it, give it a good try first, I just put a new Mustang seat on my Sportster and it is the same, a bit harder and a bit forward, but it is going to work out fine I think...
I would advise you to do at least 500 mi. on the Corbin before deciding you don't like it, give it a bit of time to get broke in to you or you broke in to it...lol...

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
I would advise you to do at least 500 mi. on the Corbin before deciding you don't like it, give it a bit of time to get broke in to you or you broke in to it......

+1 on that. The Corbin is really firm, and many think a seat needs to be real soft to be comfortable. But after just a few hundred miles on my Corbin I was impressed on how nice it really was.

KM

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Marvel (Mystery ?) Oil was mentioned a few times as a good ignition switch lubricant.
Yep, but the reason I mentioned "Lock-Ease" is that it is a collodial graphite and it seems to dry and leave a graphite film... I have also used it as a bore lube and lightly patched it out just before a shoot to lessen settleing in shots before a match...
"Lock-Ease" was available here from NAPA auto parts stores...+/-$5...

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for the links they are sure to help! I still can't see any posts when I open the forum groups...need to check tech support group again...busy, busy. Sorry about bash...

I just gave my first impression on the Corbin seat...you bet I'll try it on a good run when I can get something running. Good to know it probably won't be a lasting impression...cause I do have one of the factory seat: Looks good, bad ride.

I'll have to find time to read (and re-read) up on ignition switch removal. May not be all that hard after all.

And no, I doubt the neck cover switch probably is for ignition switch since it is that the key can't turn the tumblers, and those Harley guys that sold me the bike had ridden it before, and didn't know what that switch was for. They probably would have known if it bypassed the switch.

--
Okay, I just re-read all these posts to let it all sink in. Lots of good ideas. I am slow, but will get around to trying this stuff when my head stops spinning around so fast. Got so much going on right now.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Sorry about bashing Harley. Just some people seem to buy an attitude instead of a motorcycle.
Hey I was just jokin, I bash'em too, and sometimes blow their doors to show'em what a girls bike'll do...lol...
BTW-They call the Sportster a girls bike, so that makes it fun...lol...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts