Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I'm in dire need of some guidance. I'm inheriting a non-running, super low milage 05 VN750 at the end of the month. The head tech at the dealership recommended new gas, new spark plugs, and a new battery to start with.

I have the plugs and battery on order to be picked up right before I get the Bike. Was wondering if anyone had a video or guidance on how to replace the spark plugs? Ideally, I'd love to know what tools I'll need, steps to take, and a visual to help me. I'm a Monkey-see, Monkey-do kinda guy.

Also, the bikes been sitting for around a year unridden - any other suggestions? It only has about 3500 miles on it total so I'm not sure if it'll need a carb clean or new oil.

Thank you for any help you can lend!

Cheers,

-LP-

·
2,502 Posts
First off welcome to the group, try posing an introduction in the New members section. You'll get a warmer response.
What plugs and battery did you get. The AGM Battery (sealed Gel) is what we recommend, along with the NGK Irridium plugs. You probably won't know if the carbs need cleaned till you start and ride it. New Oil and filter should be done if you don't know how long it's been since the last change. The rear splines are a BIG must to check to make sure they are lubed properly. If they go out it will cost you hundreds to replace.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
+2 on the agm battery!

Need an 18mm thinwall spark plug or deepwell socket. There's a Craftsman part number posted here somewhere, Harbor Freight had some too. Needs to be thinwall to fit into the two deep plug wells.

Check the date code on the tires, and inspect them closely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First off welcome to the group, try posing an introduction in the New members section. You'll get a warmer response.
What plugs and battery did you get. The AGM Battery (sealed Gel) is what we recommend, along with the NGK Irridium plugs. You probably won't know if the carbs need cleaned till you start and ride it. New Oil and filter should be done if you don't know how long it's been since the last change. The rear splines are a BIG must to check to make sure they are lubed properly. If they go out it will cost you hundreds to replace.
Thank you so much for your help! I just posted in the newbie thread to introduce myself. Sorry I missed that when I first came on board.

The battery is a standard acid battery they put in all the bike, but I'm sure I can call them and have it changed to the Sealed Gel. Also the plugs are Irridium so I'm glad to hear those are well founded.

I was looking at a thread talking about the splines but I'm still kinda unsure what they do exactly

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Thank you so much for your help! I just posted in the newbie thread to introduce myself. Sorry I missed that when I first came on board.

The battery is a standard acid battery they put in all the bike, but I'm sure I can call them and have it changed to the Sealed Gel. Also the plugs are Irridium so I'm glad to hear those are well founded.

I was looking at a thread talking about the splines but I'm still kinda unsure what they do exactly
AGM - Absorbed Glass Mat .. pertains to the materials, acid absorbed fiberglass mat instead of liquid acid or acid plates.

The spiines are a means to mesh the driveshaft to the gearbox (bevel gear and final drive).

Driveshaft coupler splines

Splines on final drive (rusted and worn out)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+2 on the agm battery!

Need an 18mm thinwall spark plug or deepwell socket. There's a Craftsman part number posted here somewhere, Harbor Freight had some too. Needs to be thinwall to fit into the two deep plug wells.

Check the date code on the tires, and inspect them closely.
Thank you for this advice!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
The splines allow for the total distance between the engine and the rear wheel to shrink and grow slightly due to the movement of the rear suspension. The splines on the drive shaft spin the splines on the final drive, but they can slide in and out of each other a little bit. If unlubed, the splines will wear down/off and the drive shaft will spin but will not be able to turn the rear wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts