Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this a few months ago from a Vet who bought it when he retired. He only rode it for 600 miles and then let it sit for 18 years outside (sometimes covered). I cleaned her up and replaced fluids, gaskets, jets and leather polished the seat. He left gas in the bike so the tank was pretty rusty. I cleaned it up as best I could with vinegar and took the carb out and cleaned that too. Replaced the float, all fuel lines, air filters and for seals. I still have to do an ear shave and replace the brakes and brake lines. I'm pretty sure I need new tires. I got her running before I changed the petcock. But I had to take her apart because I realized the fuel filter fell off and put a new petcock on. Now she won't start. She'll cough and backfire and run my battery down. I'm assuming something got loose when I started her before changing the petcock and I probably have to clean the carb again. But I've been pretty busy. I'll start working on her again very shortly.

The first 6 pictures are when I bought her and the last 2 are right after I cleaned her up.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
For a 2004 that sat outside, it's in remarkably good shape. What part of the country are you in? Doesn't look like it was exposed to that much humidity.

You've done quite well so far. You'll definitely be putting in some time, energy and money into getting it into tip-top shape, but it looks like it'll be worth it!

Can't wait to see more updates from you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I was pretty surprised at the condition, for 600 bucks it was a steal. I am in Pittsburgh, PA. We have a decent amount of humidity but nothing like other places. Definitely worth the time and money. I'll keep this post updated. I am going to try and start the ear shave in the next two weeks.

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
Yea I was pretty surprised at the condition, for 600 bucks it was a steal. I am in Pittsburgh, PA. We have a decent amount of humidity but nothing like other places. Definitely worth the time and money. I'll keep this post updated. I am going to try and start the ear shave in the next two weeks.
Totally agree. If you couldn't get it running, you'd be able to part it out and quadruple your investment....

But we'd rather see her revived! Have you given her a name?

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
These bikes are testy to fire up when the carbs have been dry. A shot of gas or starting fluid might help.

Low cranking voltage always makes this one backfire, if you need a battery it's worth the extra money to get an AGM type battery. They're worlds better than wet cells.

Another good way to start is "crank and pause". You crank a few seconds then pause, then crank, pause. The cranking opens the petcock, the pause gives some time for the gas to get to the carbs.

Looks like it was at least sheltered a little, with those miles you've got a lot to work with.

The crash bar, bag supports , and turn signal brackets are a plus.

Yet another black and silver tank, we've seen a lot of those in the past couple of years.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These bikes are testy to fire up when the carbs have been dry. A shot of gas or starting fluid might help.

Low cranking voltage always makes this one backfire, if you need a battery it's worth the extra money to get an AGM type battery. They're worlds better than wet cells.

Another good way to start is "crank and pause". You crank a few seconds then pause, then crank, pause. The cranking opens the petcock, the pause gives some time for the gas to get to the carbs.

Looks like it was at least sheltered a little, with those miles you've got a lot to work with.

The crash bar, bag supports , and turn signal brackets are a plus.

Yet another black and silver tank, we've seen a lot of those in the past couple of years.
So I did check to see if the carbs were getting gas and it is. But I did notice one of the throttle valves isn't closing and opening properly. So it might be there. I definitely want to repaint her when I get her fired up and running. I saw this midnight blue with silver flecks on a vn750 once and loved it.

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
So I did check to see if the carbs were getting gas and it is. But I did notice one of the throttle valves isn't closing and opening properly. So it might be there. I definitely want to repaint her when I get her fired up and running. I saw this midnight blue with silver flecks on a vn750 once and loved it.
Probably not a bad idea to just completely tear down the carbs, cleaning as you go. I had to learn the hard way that even the tinest little speck of grime can completely disable a bike. Well, good luck!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Excellent restoration work, the bike looks very clean!
What did you end up doing with the engine guard?

Probably not a bad idea to just completely tear down the carbs, cleaning as you go. I had to learn the hard way that even the tinest little speck of grime can completely disable a bike. Well, good luck!
I would agree. Start fresh with a fully cleaned set of carbs. The carbs are pretty reliable with regular usage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I would agree. Start fresh with a fully cleaned set of carbs. The carbs are pretty reliable with regular usage.
I still have the engine guard. Gotta clean it up and put it back on. I cleaned the carb once but I think I need to do it again.

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts

Wait, engine guard? I didn't know these bikes had engine guards? Got a pic?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Wait, engine guard? I didn't know these bikes had engine guards? Got a pic?
I think he means the highway bar. It is visible in the 'before' picture, but not the 'after'.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts