Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I recently bought a 2003 Vulcan and immediately having issues with it. I bought a new battery 2 days ago and the motorcycle wont start. Instead it makes a clicking sound. Once I jump start it, it turns on and stays on but as soon as I turn it off, and turn it back on its doesnt start but makes the clicking sound. I checked the battery using a multimeter and the voltage jumps between 11.15 and 11.45 volts so im assuming its not a stator issue. could it be a battery issue as the sticker on the side of the battery says "09/14"? Could the battery be old and sitting on the shelf for too long? Please advise me as this is very frustrating especially for a person who is just getting into the hobby. Hoping for some very useful responses. Thank You.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
They sold you a nearly 3 year old battery, and now it's dead. A new battery that's fully charged should read about 12.8 to 13v. The agm type battery is the only way to go for this bike. A regular wet cell just won't work well.

·
Eagle Riders 4146
89 Posts
They sold you a nearly 3 year old battery, and now it's dead. A new battery that's fully charged should read about 12.8 to 13v. The agm type battery is the only way to go for this bike. A regular wet cell just won't work well.
I had the same issue with a "new" battery. As it turned out this "new" battery was new, but it had sat on the shelf at the parts store for nearly 6 years! I swapped it out for a truly new battery, and she fired right up. I'm with Spockster....bad "new" battery.

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
There could be a charging problem also, normally, the charge voltage should be higher. However, if the battery is sulphated and shorting out, that can pull the charge volts down.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
yes I agree with all the above. how about an introduction in the newbie section so we can get to know you a little better? thank you

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Yes introduce yourself before someone flips out. Though I think , "My 2000 whatever won't start!" is as good an introduction as you should need here lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for your responses. I have just bought a new battery and will let you guys know how it works out. I'll also post in the newbie section when i get off of work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts