Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
RITX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a used 2002 750 with approx 6500 mi cheap! It has a problem, the owner says there is a noise coming from the engine that sounds like a loose bolt. This happened while he was pulling out, he stopped and shut down. The engine runs fine, but when put in gear the noise begins. Had it checked out and so far can find nothing wrong on the left side of the engine.
Anyone know what the worst case scenario might be and worse case cost??

I can buy the bike for $700.00.

Thanks...............Rit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
ACCT about a $50 to fix properly. Get a hold of TOC Manufacturing and get the MCCT kit and follow the directions!!! Sounds like a sweet deal have you read the Vulcan Verses and see what else you need to look for!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I'd buy it.

DT

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
I would say that if it does not make the sound untill putting it in gear and taking off, sounds more like the balancers. Acct's should make the sound any time the bike is running. Taking out the oil screen may give a Idea what is wrong.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Coffee grinder noise? Buy the bike. There are fixes for everything that has been mentioned

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Your ALL wrong!!! It's the final drive and shaft splines. Used parts from ebay and you got a good cheap bike. If you don't want it I'll take it and give you a couple hundred. :smiley_th

Did I fail to mention 2002-2004 were the years most common for the spline failure due to inadequate lube.

Your looking at $500.00 MAX but as low as $100.00 for good used parts.

Buy the bike and I will help you get the parts and gitter dun.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I think Lance is right. And parts bikes are always coming available so I'd snag that bike in a flash. Check the spline lube procedure in my sig. It also has the steps for replacing what is most likely damaged on your bike. I was able to find the parts I needed used for around $100. Good luck!

·
RITX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2002 vn 750

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I have decided to pass on the deal. Talked to 2 mechanics who said that the transmission is the problem. Worse case will cost me in upwards of $2000.00. Can't swing that.
The bike is in N/W PA and still for sale. I can try to get the contact number posted if anyone is interested.
It has a Mustang seat, almost new rubber and decent bags + a windshield. If I had the time and skills I would buy it to part out.:smiley_th

Thanks again............Rit

·
Registered
409 Posts
Snort. The mustang seat alone might net you $300.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
You talk to two Mechanics that may or may not of ever worked on a VN750, Talk you out of a Heck of a Deal..........

But Half a Dozen Guys who Have, Has, and Does work on them on a Site Dedicated to the VN750, That tells you it's a easy & pretty cheap Fix and You ignore them like they don't know what they're talking about.

Then if You would of bought it, take MORE time and cost to Part it out & sell the Parts, then what it would cost to fix it.....................Unbelievable.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I have decided to pass on the deal. Talked to 2 mechanics who said that the transmission is the problem. Worse case will cost me in upwards of $2000.00. Can't swing that.
The bike is in N/W PA and still for sale. I can try to get the contact number posted if anyone is interested.
It has a Mustang seat, almost new rubber and decent bags + a windshield. If I had the time and skills I would buy it to part out.:smiley_th

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

You talk to two Mechanics that may or may not of ever worked on a VN750, Talk you out of a Heck of a Deal..........

But Half a Dozen Guys who Have, Has, and Does work on them on a Site Dedicated to the VN750, That tells you it's a easy & pretty cheap Fix and You ignore them like they don't know what they're talking about.

Then if You would of bought it, take MORE time and cost to Part it out & sell the Parts, then what it would cost to fix it.....................Unbelievable.
X2 jthill !!!

Hell`s bells man, if I was within 1,000 miles I would drive down and buy it myself, so I could have a second vn750. lance328 is "THE MAN". If he says it is the rear splines shot and you can fix it for $100 to $500 worth of parts, you are passing up the best deal of the year if you don`t run to get that bike before somebody else does. I would give 20 to 1 odds that lance`s diagnosis is right, and the repair is doable by any newbie with a little help from the members online here. lance328 has talked several members through major repairs online and by phone if needed.

Half the mechanics in the dealerships don`t have a clue about doing a rear spline lube, judging from reports we have had here. :BLAM: Were either of the mechanics over 20 years old? It is hard to find an experienced and reliable mc mechanic. Do not let this bike get away from you due to the advice of a couple of un-informed so called "mechanics". They are probably two high school dropouts hired to assemble bikes from the factory crates, and add bling when the bikes are sold. They have likely never diagnosed a mechanical problem in their lives.

I`ll bet there are half a dozen members here who would buy the bike whole from you for what you paid, "IF" for some reason the repairs turn out to be more than you can afford. JMHO

·
Registered
38 Posts
2002 vn 750

Is the Bike still for sale for the price you stated?

Do you have or can you get photos of the bike?

Exactly where in NW Pa. is the bike located?

Does the owner have a clear title?

Let me know? Might just go to PA.

·
RITX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ritx is allowing me to post this information to you.

I am the owner's father in law. Yes- I'm sure he will sell the bike for $700 to you. He does have a clear title. I don't have any photos, but would be glad to send you some once we get the bike back from the mechanic shop. I can tell you the bike looks awesome. It is located in Stoneboro, Pa which is between Pittsburgh and Erie on I-79.

Please feel free to email my son in law directly. His email address is:

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Your ALL wrong!!! It's the final drive and shaft splines. Used parts from ebay and you got a good cheap bike. If you don't want it I'll take it and give you a couple hundred. :smiley_th

Did I fail to mention 2002-2004 were the years most common for the spline failure due to inadequate lube.

Your looking at $500.00 MAX but as low as $100.00 for good used parts.

Buy the bike and I will help you get the parts and gitter dun.
You diagnosis may be right, but the splines on my '89 were dry and it had fewer miles than this one does. When I lubed them, they showed little, if any, wear. I suppose how hard it was ridden might account for a difference in spline wear.

·
Rogue Warrior
130 Posts
Ritx is allowing me to post this information to you.

I am the owner's father in law. Yes- I'm sure he will sell the bike for $700 to you. He does have a clear title. I don't have any photos, but would be glad to send you some once we get the bike back from the mechanic shop. I can tell you the bike looks awesome. It is located in Stoneboro, Pa which is between Pittsburgh and Erie on I-79.

Please feel free to email my son in law directly. His email address is:

[email protected]
I sent an e-mail. Hopefully he gets back to me. I may not keep it for myself, but for Lance or someone on this site.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
There's no reason to bust Ritx's chops! We all know how uncomfortable we felt the first time we even entertained the idea of lubing our splines and it was folks here who gave us the confidence to suck it up and do it. Some still never have found the nerve to go in there and have been members here for a while. So understand how Ritx must feel about buying a bike with known problems and having that hanging over him. We can all be empathetic.

Sure, I feel like he is passing up the deal of a lifetime, and if it were in Texas I would be there tonight with a trailer! But there's no reason to belittle the poor guy for passing on the deal. I've done the spline lube, and replaced my final drive and know it is as easy as taking the wheel off and putting it back on, but until we've experienced that, it seems monumental.
Heck, if I was in PA, I'd buy it, fix it and sell it to him for what I have in it, just to get another 750 back on the road, and to have another lifetime member here!

I'm not saying anyone was getting ugly with Ritx on this thread, but just wanted to remind everyone what this site is about, helping each other! That's why this group ROCKS.:beerchug:

·
RITX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Fergy for the support. I was begining to feel like the rented mule from a couple of posts. I know I may be making a mistake, but I am not 25 anymore. I no longer have the positive attitude I had 30 years ago to tear into something with basic mechanical skills.

Good luck to whoever gets this gem. I sold it to the guy who has it now, and really wanted it back.(Sellers remorse).
It is a well maintained machine up to the time I sold it and would be again with some TLC.

Thanks ............Rit

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Hey, no problem Rit! I'm sorry this didn't work out for you. So you sold this bike to him before? Wow! Didn't realize that. How long ago? Had you ever done a spline lube to it?
Mine was an 02 as well, and one that had the notorious dry and stripped splines, so I know well about the frustration, and the panic of having that in front of you. Just curious about it's history, maintenance wise...

Wish I was there to help you! You'd be shocked at how simple it really is, but I really do know what it feels like "before" you know how it's done!

·
RITX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fergy, I bought the bike in spring of 2006, rode it for 2 summers and sold it in the spring of 2008. I made a mistake it now has approx 9000 mi. Anyway I put 2 new Metzger tires on it, a new battery, and a Mustang seat. The guy who purchased it rode it sparingly in 2008 and early in 2009 the noise problem started. So it has sat in the garage until about 2 weeks ago when he took it to Pro Cycle near my home. I had the bike checked out for Pa inspection and did oil and maint regularly. I did not have occasion to check the splines nor did I know it was necessary
The bike just "fit" me and I missed it. So when the opportunity came around..........you know the rest.

Thanks for the kind words.....................Rit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts