Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I recently purchased a 2001 Vulcan 750 for basically nothing. The previous owner said it had been sitting for a few years and he could not get it to run, so, I bought it. Anyway, I trailered it home and started looking through it (I have no experience with these bikes). One of the fuel lines was very clogged, and the petcock was rusted out so I replaced the petcock and took off the fuel line and blew it out. I can now get it to start but it will not idle at all unless I give it a bit of throttle. When released it goes down to about 200 RPM and dies pretty much as soon as I let off the throttle. The choke whether on or off doesn't seem to affect anything. nor does the idle adjustment screw. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,004 Posts
I would suspect dirty carbs.

·
Registered
10,801 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello. I recently purchased a 2001 Vulcan 750 for basically nothing. The previous owner said it had been sitting for a few years and he could not get it to run, so, I bought it. Anyway, I trailered it home and started looking through it (I have no experience with these bikes). One of the fuel lines was very clogged, and the petcock was rusted out so I replaced the petcock and took off the fuel line and blew it out. I can now get it to start but it will not idle at all unless I give it a bit of throttle. When released it goes down to about 200 RPM and dies pretty much as soon as I let off the throttle. The choke whether on or off doesn't seem to affect anything. nor does the idle i

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
There are a number of things to check
The Vulcan should idle at 1000 to 1100 there is a black knob on the left side of the bike that adjust the idle speed . You should add some sea foam to gas tank ( auto zone or o Riley’s ) if the bike will run at above the 1100 idle try and put some miles on it with the sea foam to help. CHECK YOUR TIRES CONDITION AND PSI .before you ride You may need to rebuild the carburetors

1 - 10 of 10 Posts