Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have a 2001 VN750 and noticed yesterday that my brake light was not working when I pressed by foot brake pedal. The brakes do function and the right hand brake level does light up the brake light. I wasn't sure where to start since the brakes are working fine and as long as I use my hand with my foot brake, I have a brake light. Thanks in advance for your replies!

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
Check the spring that is attached to the brake pedal........it should be connected to the switch that sits just to the left of the bottom of the brake pedal on the motor side. If it is connected you may have to readjust the tension by screwing the switch to the right to tighten it up some.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I just pulled apart my brake pedal set-up, so here's what I can tell you to look for: there's an electrical lead that screws into the top of the brake pedal assembly - looks like a big ol' spark plug and, in fact, there's a small metal extension at the bottom of it. There should be a spring between that extension and the cable housing assembly - when the brake is depressed, it pulls the assembly down, and the spring pulls on the electrical extension signalling that the brake has been applied. Check to see if you've lost that spring - I'm still trying to find the correct replacement size, but hope to have that figured out this evening. I can send specs if you did in fact lose the spring.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Wasn't there a fergy done "fridge drawing" of that switch? Or was it another switch (Seems like it was Crobins thread?)

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Ooooh, fridge drawing wars! :pepper: One thing to check, turn on your key and get down there and pull on the spring (assuming you still have the spring) til the metal thingie pulls out and see if it lights your brake light. If pulling the metal thingie doesn't light your brake light, give it a good soaking with wd40 or elect contact cleaner and work it in and out a while and see if it doesn't start working. Rain and road silt can bugger up this switch, as well as the kickstand switch, even your hand brake switch and clutch release switch. It's a good idea to shoot some wd or electrical contact cleaner into those switches once in a while, especially after your bike has been in some rain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, men. I will follow-up when I return home and give you an update over the weekend. Have a good weekend!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I just had the opposite problem. The light would work with the back brake, but not the front, and the switch would stick on the back brake making my brake light stay on. I removed both switches and lubed/cleaned with wd-40. Now everything's in working order....except the [email protected]#* r/r which has been ordered and is "in the mail". Both swithches are fairly easy to remove and clean. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Ooooh, fridge drawing wars! :pepper: One thing to check, turn on your key and get down there and pull on the spring (assuming you still have the spring) til the metal thingie pulls out and see if it lights your brake light. If pulling the metal thingie doesn't light your brake light, give it a good soaking with wd40 or elect contact cleaner and work it in and out a while and see if it doesn't start working. Rain and road silt can bugger up this switch, as well as the kickstand switch, even your hand brake switch and clutch release switch. It's a good idea to shoot some wd or electrical contact cleaner into those switches once in a while, especially after your bike has been in some rain.
Ferg, how'd you post your pic? Mine is a Word doc and sits at 28kb - too large a Word file for the Forum. Help? I'm ready to begin the war, but my weapons are out of reach. :(

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
OOOOh, I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you.:eek:
I did mine in photoshop, saved it as a jpg. But, you can do this: While word has your document opened, hit your "print screen" button on the keyboard. Then immediately open "Paint" and under the edit menu select "paste". It will paste the screen shot into your new paint window. Then use the square dotted line tool (for a lack of a better explanation) and draw a square around just the picture you drew, and under the edit menu, select copy. Then under file select new. Then under edit select paste. It will paste just the picture into your new window. Then do a save as, and select jpg as the file type, tell it where you want to save it and whallaa.
Depending on how large you drew your image, you might have to size it down some using some other tools under the Image menu like "scale" and use percentages to get it down to a workable size. You'll know when you try to upload it here whether it is too large or not. Hope this helps!

EDIT: Just had a thought. Maybe word has a save as option where you can save it as a jpg? Maybe not. That would sure make things easier if it does.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
take care when you wd40. My front brake light switch wasn't working. so I removed, sprayed, and de/activated it to get it to work. It worked a couple of times then it started smoking... new one is on order.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Awesome drawing Cindy! And the blue arrow really sets it off. Well done!

Maybe we should have a forum called fridge pics where we could post all our technical drawings, and yes, I use the term "technical". :)

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Awesome drawing Cindy! And the blue arrow really sets it off. Well done!

Maybe we should have a forum called fridge pics where we could post all our technical drawings, and yes, I use the term "technical". :)
So per recent posts, we need two new Forum areas: Rider Safety and Fridge Drawings!! Works for me! Hey, and thanks for the tip on how to convert the file - our PC Harassment folks always say, "Just hit print screen and send me the error message" (right after asking, "Have you rebooted?"). They've never explained how to move the image to anywhere useful. Sweet!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well, no fridge pic to post, but I have a question actually related to this thread. I have to press the rear brake pedal too far to get the light to go on. I have adjusted the switch as far out as I can and still have it threaded. The spring does not look stretched out, but it must be. Can I just take it to the hardware store and get a similar spring?

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Sure! The spring just keeps you from stepping on a badly adjusted brake pedal and ripping the guts out of the switch with a rod attached instead of a spring. A stiffer spring should do the trick for ya. You might even try cutting the spring and stretching it a bit to connect on each end, then adjusting the switch location and see if you can find the sweet spot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts