Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
1987 Vulan VN750-A
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I bought my 750n this past August. When I bought it, I was told by the owner that they had to dig up the title. That they would look for it, then provide it for me that evening. My mistake was to trust them, and I didn't insist on it on the spot BEFORE I handed them the money. Then I was told they had to call the bank to remove the lien (supposedly already paid for). Then a few days ago, the seller asked for my help in figuring out what needed to be done (I used to work for a bank). I went into the DMV, the lady there called their bank, found out that bank didn't even have the info on it anymore, and it had be transferred to another bank. I was told by the DMV lady that the seller just needed to call the 2nd bank, and request a release of lien, and have it sent to the DMV. Again, assuming they did pay it off. I haven't heard from the seller in a week, and honestly I'm not holding my breath that these guys are going to do anything about it.

Now for my questions:

Would it be legal to buy a titled frame, then move everything onto the new frame?

What's the best, safest way to accomplish this?

I have a 2001 750n, are there specific years for a frame I need to look for?

I know about the stator, and r/r, and I'm definitely planning on moving those. Are there any other modifications I should be planning on?

·
2,528 Posts
I know in PA he could apply/file for a "lost title" and pay the application fee. A lot easier than switching over everything on a donor frame.

·
1987 Vulan VN750-A
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here in Idaho, you can only apply for a lost title if you are on the title to begine with, so that's a no-go for me.

·
2,528 Posts
Here in Idaho, you can only apply for a lost title if you are on the title to begine with, so that's a no-go for me.
What I'm saying is have the original owner apply for the lost title, then he could sign it over when he gets it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Titled Frame

If you are interested, I have a titled frame. It is from a 93 and I can let you have it for shipping and $20. I really just want to get it out of my garage. The $20 is to pay for the packaging. If yu figure this will work for you geet back to me.

Mcneuby

·
1987 Vulan VN750-A
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I'm saying is have the original owner apply for the lost title, then he could sign it over when he gets it.
I don't think that would work, here's the skinny. When he paid it off, he never got the title, and never followed up on it. So, when he sold it to me, he went through the bevy of banks which his title had passed through. When we finally caught up with the right bank, they said he still owes them money on the motorcycle. We may end up doing that just to see if it works, but I'm doubting it will.

·
1987 Vulan VN750-A
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are interested, I have a titled frame. It is from a 93 and I can let you have it for shipping and $20. I really just want to get it out of my garage. The $20 is to pay for the packaging. If yu figure this will work for you geet back to me.

Mcneuby
That may work. Will the my 01' components fit onto a 93' frame? I don't mind doing some light fabrication, but if I have to create motor mounts, and such it will be too much over my head. I check on shipping and see what it would cost.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
That may work. Will the my 01' components fit onto a 93' frame? I don't mind doing some light fabrication, but if I have to create motor mounts, and such it will be too much over my head. I check on shipping and see what it would cost.
1985 VN700 and 1986-2006 VN750's had the same frame. infact 99% of the pars interchange between all years... small differences in fuel petcocks, brake master cylinders and a few other parts, but for the most part every thing else swaps over...

but as for you swapping over everything from the 01 to even a '85 vn700, it would be pretty strait forward. unbolt every thing from the 01 and swap it all onto the donor frame.

·
Registered
39 Posts
ok im from uk so have no idea how yr legal things work however that being said i dont understand why its an issue tell the bloke to give money back till he sorts it out so you can then do a normal sale, if he refuses has he not illegally sold it to you?
that being said if he refuses take said hammer break jaw for lying to you and hands for taking your hard earned cash.... simple!

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
I don't think that would work, here's the skinny. When he paid it off, he never got the title, and never followed up on it. So, when he sold it to me, he went through the bevy of banks which his title had passed through. When we finally caught up with the right bank, they said he still owes them money on the motorcycle. We may end up doing that just to see if it works, but I'm doubting it will.
If the "right bank" says he still owes money on the motorcycle then they must have the title. Applying for a lost title should only come up with the same information from DMV and a refusal to issue a new title without the proper clearance from that bank that the loan is clear. If a computer glitch happens where the "right bank" does not get involved by the DMV you will still have a potential problem in the future if you want to sell the bike or have an insurance issue. At some point the bank or DMV will catch up with the whole mess and you will be left on the short end. The good guy never wins in this kind of situation unless it is done the long hard way. If the previous owner has proof of paying off the loan to the "right bank" there should be no problem except the time to sit at a desk in the bank by the previous owner. They (bank) probably will not work it all out with just you being there so you are now stuck with dealing with that seller again. Right now the owner of record seems to be the previous owner with a bank lien and you can not do anything about that until they straighten out the said lien. Without the title you are doing work on a bike you do not own. You can get it all road worthy and running properly and have it taken away with no real recourse. You would then be out the time, effort and cost with nothing to show. All that can happen or you may be lucky and have the seller straighten out all the legal paper work and hand you the clear title. I would be careful as to what you invest into this whole thing. Hopefully you have at least a signed receipt saying you paid the guy for the bike. Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
sounds like vulcan 2000 knows his stuff mate i wouldnt do any work on it until its all cleared. i had similar problem with what we call a log book, waited and waited and had excuse after excuse unfortunately it wasnt until i gave him a week to show me some evidence of what he was saying before i did a visit that i had it all sorted. sometimes there is no other way im afraid. but if you not that way inclined then go down legal route if he has sold you the bike and still owes money on it then he does not legally own it and has no right to sell it, just dont get caught out on this..

good luck hope all gets sorted in your favour mate

·
2,501 Posts
sounds like vulcan 2000 knows his stuff mate i wouldnt do any work on it until its all cleared. i had similar problem with what we call a log book, waited and waited and had excuse after excuse unfortunately it wasnt until i gave him a week to show me some evidence of what he was saying before i did a visit that i had it all sorted. sometimes there is no other way im afraid. but if you not that way inclined then go down legal route if he has sold you the bike and still owes money on it then he does not legally own it and has no right to sell it, just dont get caught out on this..

good luck hope all gets sorted in your favour mate
If you want to go the nonphysical route just tell him you will be contacting the proper authorities (DMV, state attorney general's office and state consumer affairs office) within the week to sort this all out so you can start working on the bike. If he is trying to pull a fast one on you he will either give back the money or be willing to go to the bank with you to sort it all out. You do not have to threaten him but tell him you want to get this all sorted out and off both of your backs. Act as if you are doing it to help him out. Again, if he is knowingly in the wrong about the sale of the bike he will straighten it all out real quick.

If you decide to go the physical route be sure to ride the bike involved so if you are seen during your escape it will be traced back to the bike that he owns. lol

·
1987 Vulan VN750-A
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok im from uk so have no idea how yr legal things work however that being said i dont understand why its an issue tell the bloke to give money back till he sorts it out so you can then do a normal sale, if he refuses has he not illegally sold it to you?
that being said if he refuses take said hammer break jaw for lying to you and hands for taking your hard earned cash.... simple!
Well, it's never simple. But, these guys don't have much money, and used the money to save themselves from being kicked out of their house.

·
1987 Vulan VN750-A
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you want to go the nonphysical route just tell him you will be contacting the proper authorities (DMV, state attorney general's office and state consumer affairs office) within the week to sort this all out so you can start working on the bike. If he is trying to pull a fast one on you he will either give back the money or be willing to go to the bank with you to sort it all out. You do not have to threaten him but tell him you want to get this all sorted out and off both of your backs. Act as if you are doing it to help him out. Again, if he is knowingly in the wrong about the sale of the bike he will straighten it all out real quick.

If you decide to go the physical route be sure to ride the bike involved so if you are seen during your escape it will be traced back to the bike that he owns. lol
Honestly, these are good people, who needed money in a pinch, they just didn't realize that there was more of an issue with the title. I know I could get a judgement in court, but at what end? You've heard the saying, "You can't bleed a turnip?"

At this point, the seller it trying to chase down all possibilities. At the worst case, we'll look into buying a titled frame, and switching the parts over to it. I've spoken with the DMV here, and was told unofficially that it's a vaild way to do it. The DMV doesn't care about the parts, only the title.

·
2,501 Posts
Honestly, these are good people, who needed money in a pinch, they just didn't realize that there was more of an issue with the title. I know I could get a judgement in court, but at what end? You've heard the saying, "You can't bleed a turnip?"

At this point, the seller it trying to chase down all possibilities. At the worst case, we'll look into buying a titled frame, and switching the parts over to it. I've spoken with the DMV here, and was told unofficially that it's a vaild way to do it. The DMV doesn't care about the parts, only the title.
I wish you all the best of luck. If you honestly believe that they did not know that the bank was not officially on record as being paid and they did not know that they did not have the title to sign over that is your business. I myself am usually of the nature to believe everyone is honest until they prove me wrong. In this particular case I would be very cautious if I was in your shoes but that is me. Most people make sure they physically have the title to sign over when they first think of selling. I was not suggesting that you actually get a court judgment against them but rather suggest to them that you are going to seek a remedy from the authorities. If they are not telling the truth they would give you back your money quickly so they could not be prosecuted in any form. If they are the honest people as you believe they will do what ever is necessary to rectify the situation and complete the transaction fully. Again, I wish you all the best.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
I'd have to agree with Vulcan 2000. Demand either the title or the money back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
the suggestions here are sound (well maybe not mine ) i think you should call his bluff with the authorities just to see how he reacts this will give you an indication how genuine he is.what we all have in common though is to be careful you dont want to be spending more cash to lose it all.. your choice mate like i said hope it goes in your favour

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
Good luck.one of my club brothers is in the same mess.as ling as no one will claim tbe bike as stolen(the motor still has a vin and can be considered stolen parts i would do the titled frame route .

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
there is no vin on the motor of a kawasaki vn 750 i have completely searched my motor and four others while they were off the bike just get a titled frame and get your knees in the breeze

now as for harleys the vin is on the frame everywhere and the same on the engine

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I am pretty sure the last six diggets of my VIN are stamped on my engine. I will have to look again in the daylight to make sure as I could be wrong as to what those number are.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts