Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After cleaning the entire 2001 Vulcan 750 carburetors, it flooded with gas. So I went back to the carburetor floats. I do not have any manual, so how do you adjust the floats on the Keihin CVK 34. What angle do you hold them. I see to lines (metal) inside the float chamber. Do you line up the float's line between them ?:crying: Is pushing the float tap up rich and bending it down lean ? Do I need a special tool. I am getting better at getting the carburetor removed at least. Regards, Glen aka ortme6

·
Registered
109 Posts
After cleaning the entire 2001 Vulcan 750 carburetors, it flooded with gas. So I went back to the carburetor floats. I do not have any manual, so how do you adjust the floats on the Keihin CVK 34. What angle do you hold them. I see to lines (metal) inside the float chamber. Do you line up the float's line between them ?:crying: Is pushing the float tap up rich and bending it down lean ? Do I need a special tool. I am getting better at getting the carburetor removed at least. Regards, Glen aka ortme6
Here's a link to download the Vulcan 750 manual issued by Kawasaki to get you started. Highly recommend buying a Clymer service manual (see link below) as it's written for the average guy and does a much better job explaining how to do the service work vs Kawasaki manual.

VN750_Vulcan_Service_Manual_Parts_Catalogue

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0892877944/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
Are you sure a float isn't just stuck?

As far as I know the only way to check float height is with the gas in a clear piece of hose attached to the carb drain, with the carbs still on the bike. See pic from the download manual:

A general rule of thumb for most carbs: Hold the carb upside down and reasonably level, the float hinge plate (plate where the float hinges on the pin) should be on a level plane with the botton edge of the carb body (where the bowl gasket rides). Not on the same plane, but level, not angling up or down in relation to the carb body.

I checked mine that way when cleaning, float level has always been fine. The space was even all the way across.

Holding the float upright, as it rides in the carb ....

Bending the float tang upward, makes the float/fuel level lower, making the needle shut off sooner.
Bending the tang downward makes the float/fuel level higher, making the float needle shut off later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts