Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well since I had my buddies VN750 to do the stator replacement, he wanted it painted and something done with the exhaust...... I just got the paint work done and came out awesome.... he wanted Black and that is what he got;).... Well I looked at scoot works degoat and it comes out over 80 buck shipped, so I decided to do my own version of a de-goat.....He still has the stock air cleaners so not to worried about jetting, but will keep an eye on plugs down the road..........Also i bet miles pe gallon gonna go up ditching 20 pounds of Goat Belly! That thing is heavy, i was amazed!

I m sorry i did not take many pics, guess i just wanted to get it done ;) But can tell you what I used and how much.........

Universal 1" 3/4 ID x 18 " flexible tail pipe $5.99 Orielly Auto parts

Part Number: 540175

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ROL0/540175.oap?ck=Search_540175_1328677_2955&keyword=540175

4 x Automotive exhaust clamps 1" 3/4

Part Number: 517134

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ROL0/517134.oap?ck=Search_N0082_1494591_2955&pt=N0082&ppt=C0022

Well first thing I did was remove the goat belly and shields and rear muffles on each side.........

I removed the exhaust flange seals from the mufflers, I then ground down the single rubber mounting washers that the pass through the rubber that mount the mufflers to the foot peg bracket, about 1/16 off each of the inner and outer metal portion so when i hang the muffler and tighten it up it wont flop around and will stay put while you measure and mock up the new pipe before you cut it........

I then loosened up each header header pipe so it would move slightly.....

I started on the right side.

I hung the right muffler and tightened up and alined where I thought it should be....then i took the flex pipe and bent it and layed it out side the header and muffler to get an idea where to cut...one end slides over the header pipe about 2 inches and the other end will slide into the muffler.... I marked with painters tape where to cut around the flex pipe.....

I then cut it..... Then I took off the muffler and slid the cut flex pipe all the way in and then slid the other end over the header pipe and mouted the muffler and snuggged her up....then installed a new muffler clamp on each end..... I moved the pipe around untill happy with alignemnt...I them tigtned the front clamp down on the header... i got it tight and mashed.... Then I removed the clamp and installed an OEM band clamp i had removed off the bike.....I tightned her up and that part is good.... i had to use one OEM band clamp on that the right header pipe as the automotive clamps hit the shield and did not hwant to notch out the shield...but you can decide if you want to if you like the idea of the stout automotive clamp.....

Then I left the rear clamp on the muffle loos and installed the heat shield, lined it all up and tightned the heat shiel to the exhaust....that is what lines it all up and keeps it aligned as you tighten down the clamp on the muffler....

After that was done I went ahead and tightened up the clamp on the muffler....... Right side is done ;)

Left is the same concept....I got lucky and the new pipe I had cut from the other side was perfect for the left side....:)

So use the least amount of pipe on the right side and you will have enough for the left side out of 18 inches of flex pipe......

I also completely gutted the stock mufflers....that was a job in itself.....:)

This degoat i used shoud be perfect with mufflers that are gutted or hollow with no back pressure...... the bike sounds awesome and has that v-twin sound at idle;), also the exhaust is stable and not loose feeling after all together which is a big plus................

I also added stainless tips that where a perfect fit for on the OEM mufflers, they slid all the way on and covered up the holes i had to drill to get the baffles out...... they where old westinghouse solar yard lights that died years ago but i kept the stainless tubing from them....I knew one day they might come in handy!

It came out less then 20 bucks for my version of the De-goat!

·
Banned
448 Posts
Nice job! Looks good. I thought about going with flex pipe on mine. How does the center stand work? Did you have to fab a bracket for the center stand to rest against?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Center stand seems to work exactly how it did before the mod..... The part that you use your foot on rests against the left muffler in the cut out that is made for it, I didn't notice if it rested on the goats belly before I took it apart, but i don't see any problem with it sitting on the muffler in the cut out how it does now ;)...I could wrap the part of the center stand that rests against the muffler with silicone tube or a piece of heater hose if it rattles going down the road, but I rode it and didn't notice any rattles from the center stand, couldn't hear to much but the loud exhaust note from gutted exhaust ;):smiley_th

Nice job! Looks good. I thought about going with flex pipe on mine. How does the center stand work? Did you have to fab a bracket for the center stand to rest against?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looks nice! How does it sound without baffles? I left mine in after the degoat.

I used the flex pipe on mine, too. The center stand does contact the left pipe, so I siliconed a bit of rubber hose split lengthwise to keep it from rattling when I hit rough road. I also used the stock exhaust clamps with some scrap steel (18 gauge, I think) for shims to make sure it tightened down well. Only cost I had in was for the flex tubing, though I bought a roll of header wrap and did that while it was torn apart.

If someone else can make it, I can make a half-a$$ knockoff! :smiley_th

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the pics and instructions Rags. I bought my stuff from O'Reilly's, and cost me about $19, and took about 2 hours to remove the goat's belly and install the straight pipe. Runs great and sounds even better.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Glad you posted this !

I was on my way to my elderly Mom's today, when my Belly blew a 1" hole in it. Too much poppin and backfiring after that, so went back home.
My neighbor drove me down to the Harley custom shop, I got 2 crush gaskets for $2 each, and 18" of flex and clamps (at NAPA) for a total of $16. Degoating tomorrow. Was gonna wait till Spring, but no choice now.
Thanks for the post !:smiley_th:smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Uh oh...

I got 18" of flex from a NAPA...ended up being a returned 14" piece (damn !)...then I measured the goat itself...was 8.5" and 11"...thats 19.5"...
Well, I found a NAPA thatr has 1 3/4" on a 50' roll in stock for $2.65/ft...just need to get a ride there now, as Im dead in the water....
Moral : measure first...measure when buying...and stay away from North jersey NAPAs....lol

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I like that black paint. If my bike didn't have so many miles on it, I'd invest in a new paint job, but it would be just my luck to shell out big bucks for a paint job, then have the thing blow up on me. Never did like that '02 greenish black metallic with silver sides on the tank, and mine now has a few scratches on it.

I can't understand why everyone wants to get rid of the goats belly. Not only does it sound awful (to me) but you are almost certainly losing power. If you are going to do it, I would at least put something together with a crossover on it, like Roach did. Mine is in like new condition (things just don't rust here), but id something did happen to it, I'd be looking fro another one. And from the number of people who have removed them, I probably wouldn't have much of a problem finding one. When I went back to my stock system after getting rid of the expensive V&H pipes, I even sandblasted the goats belly, and painted it with flat black header paint, and replaced all 4 of those expensive graphite gaskets.

I did get rid of several pounds of JUNK when I removed all the emissions crap, the complete CA evap system and the complete air injection system. I literally had a 5 gallon bucket full of junk. But removing that stuff does not have anything to do with the sound or jetting or power. I simply refuse to own a vehicle with emissions crap on it.

And since I also removed the complete right front brake caliper, rotor, and hose, along with the emissions crap, I figure I have lost at least 20 pounds, maybe more.

That nice v-twin sound will completely disappear out on the highway, and it will make the most awful droning sound. That's the reason I went from the V&H pipes back to stock. The bike just wasn't any fun to ride out on the road anymore, and that is where I spend most of my time/miles.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
Good info for people who want to ditch heir belly. Personally, I'm for keeping it. The high revs would drive me [email protected]#$&. Kinda wish the baffles would come out of the stock muffs easily though so I could have some fun blatting around and go back to civilized afterward, ha ha. Anyway, thanks for sharing and your bike looks real good.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
See, I have the v&h on mine and I don't really mind the sound at highway speeds. Yes its a little high but really its not too noticeable to me. Even the stock systems I have heard have a similar tone at higher rpms. This is really one of the most subjective topics there is IMHO.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Well...

I finally got my pipe and did it, all went fairly well on the right side, but had problems with the flex sealing on the left header. So I carefully peeled off the stock lead-soaked gasket from the belly, and used that as a sealer/shim. It worked. Thing is, the prev own yanked the baffles already, and now this is WAY too loud for my liking. Gonna look into mounting a pair of stock Snortster muffs on instead. Loud was ok when I was in my 20s, 30s and 40s, but now, I just dont want it. May even have the hole in the old belly brazed and reinstall it. Was OK then....Really, running degoated and debaffled, may as well run drag pipes and make it look nicer, lol. *shrug*....

·
1,100 Posts
See, I have the v&h on mine and I don't really mind the sound at highway speeds. Yes its a little high but really its not too noticeable to me. Even the stock systems I have heard have a similar tone at higher rpms. This is really one of the most subjective topics there is IMHO.
Absolutely right. Exhaust sound preference varies like musical taste. I bet the VH's sound sweet. I'm one of the one's that prob wouldn't like it on the highway tho. Again, if only we had 6th gear, ha ha.

·
1,100 Posts
I finally got my pipe and did it, all went fairly well on the right side, but had problems with the flex sealing on the left header. So I carefully peeled off the stock lead-soaked gasket from the belly, and used that as a sealer/shim. It worked. Thing is, the prev own yanked the baffles already, and now this is WAY too loud for my liking. Gonna look into mounting a pair of stock Snortster muffs on instead. Loud was ok when I was in my 20s, 30s and 40s, but now, I just dont want it. May even have the hole in the old belly brazed and reinstall it. Was OK then....Really, running degoated and debaffled, may as well run drag pipes and make it look nicer, lol. *shrug*....
Wolfie, The Deuce has a set on snorts that are in great shape. I was gonna snatch them for my V and then the cage busted so I gotta deal with that 1st but he was offering them for very reasonable $'s just so you know.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Saw that...

Saw that...thanks bro....think Im gonna hit my local custom shop first (10 miles, no shipping)...see what he has...and I just inquired about a complete sys with belly (RakerBill)...just waiting to find out location for shipping costs.
I'd almost rather borrow the cash and do that...I want QUIET !, lolol...
Tough to get stuff ya needs when ya live on $30/wk...

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
May rethink for this year.

May rethink for this year. Got her fired up, and once I fixed the wire issue I had, the front cyl fired too. Had a leak in front even w/new crush Harley gaskets (rear sealed fine). But Harley calls for 2 different ones depending on year. Both are for the EVO engine. One is just flat both sides, the other has an added taper which goes towards the pipe. I think I need the tapered on my VN700. Mebbe a lil diff for the 750 ? Either way, ridable for this season once I fix the front leak.
One question. The acorn nuts that hold the manifold down are shot. I even ground off the tip to be able to crank down a lil more. Need new nuts (lol).
Anyone offhand know the metric size and pitch for the manifold studs ? They seem to be an M8, but an M8/100 pitch wont work. Mebbe Mom will buy me a set of nice pipes for my BDay in Jan, lol.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Fyi...

...For all's info...exhaust studs are M8/1.25 pitch. My local Harley place told me that. He also has "plenty" of stock Harley mufflers used for $20 each he told me....boy oh boy...need to save up...this guy is a GEM !!!!
Unique Cycle in Hewitt, NJ...seats, pipes, fenders....you name it...most like new and were swap-outs for customs. And he's my age too ! Im LIKIN' it !

·
Registered
14 Posts
degoat with crossover pipe

I removed the goat and got a few pipes and a flex pipe from local auto parts store. Used whole saw in a drill press and welded in flanges for flex pipe. Read it helps with the balance of the twin cylinders.

Attachments

Reactions: Jumpingjerry

·
Registered
14 Posts
don't think I'm a robot

This was first mod I did. Just didn't like the way the bike sounded, was too tame. Punched out screen in baffles but wasn't enough. Started an addiction. Now I want to coaster and do the ear shave and rejet carbs. Will be winter project when I have tank off to paint everything dark metallic blue.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts