Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Ok, makes sense. That's how it's been with the mirrors on other bikes I've owned too. I just wanted to make sure before I put these in a vise and try to free that nut up. Both are so stuck that it's going to take some significant force to free them up. I didn't want to break them in the course of trying to budge something that wasn't meant to budge.
Try some lube or cleaner down beside the stem, road dust and grit can collect in there. Even soapy water can help.

Try some lube or cleaner down beside the stem, road dust and grit can collect in there. Even soapy water can help.
That did the trick, thanks! I put some B'laster on there and was able to free it up enough to make the desired adjustments.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Well, I’m halfway there, I finally picked up the AT-205, I went to Autozone and walked the isle for 10min. Finally I stopped a guy in the store and showed him my phone and said where do you guys keep this? His response “well according to your phone it’s at “Advanced Auto Parts”. Oops, wrong store! But at least they are only a block away from each other. Now I just need to wait for this seemingly endless rain to stop.

Well, I’m halfway there, I finally picked up the AT-205, I went to Autozone and walked the isle for 10min. Finally I stopped a guy in the store and showed him my phone and said where do you guys keep this? His response “well according to your phone it’s at “Advanced Auto Parts”. Oops, wrong store! But at least they are only a block away from each other. Now I just need to wait for this seemingly endless rain to stop.
Rained all weekend here, so good luck with that! quack quack :p

Send the rain south. Hasn't rained here in over a month and the ground has 1/2" cracks in it.

Yes, if you weren't in central to south Florida, the Carolinas or farther north, Ian didn't provide a drop. At least the weather is turning cooler!

Discussion starter · #29 ·
Just an update here. The label states that a full bottle will treat 6 qts of oil, so I used more than half. I watched a few YouTube videos on this stuff and one stated the product works best after about 5 hours of running. Well for various reasons it’s been tough to log 5 hours of runtime. I think I’m close but I still see a few drops after every first run.
Is it a pipe dream to think this eventually will work?

Discussion starter · #31 ·
I haven’t really tried anything else yet. It’s not leaking a lot so it’s more annoying than concerning(for now). I took the easy route 1st with the additive but checking the bolts shouldn’t be too hard. I didn’t touch the drain plug yet as I want to change the oil soon anyway.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
So it’s been about 8 months or so since I posted this. I used the At-205 and the bike still has a drip. So I had power washed the bottom of the bike (other parts too) a couple weeks back and have been checking. The few spots I thought it could be like the shifter, or the stator case don’t seem to be the source. So last ride out I got on the ground and snapped a pic. I can’t tell if the case is leaking right down the center. I’m just not sure what/where else it’s coming from. My other thought is since it’s such a tiny leak is it possibly coming from elsewhere and only drips when the engine warms it up enough to make the light coating flow? It’s baffling, because it just doesn’t drip every time.

I plan on changing the oil soon so I don’t know if it’s the right time for another dose of the AT-205.

Water Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Tints and shades
Wood Rectangle Grey Style Black-and-white

Thanks for the update mmart. I too have messed with my leak a few times since my last post. Apparently I had two. One of them is now fixed but the other one is a lot like yours.

The one I fixed turned out to be at the oil filter. Interestingly, it was not the filter gasket itself but the gasket underneath the filter mounting plate. I didn't even know there was a plate there, but there is and it has a gasket and an o-ring, which was crushed flat. I replaced both and now there is no longer oil dripping all down my starter like before.

I still have that damn leak at the bottom of the case though. I figured the one last thing I could feasibly try is checking the gasket on the bottom drain plug. (Incidentally does anyone know why that's there? IIRC, the manual says to drain the oil from the side bolt, the one with the screen behind it. So why the redundant drain on the bottom?)

Anyway, that bolt has an aluminum washer which seemed fine so I cleaned it all up and put it back together, added oil, and still have that little drippity-drip after the bike's been run. It drips from that same lowest spot but in my case at least, I'm pretty sure it's coming from the stator cover gasket.

And I'm not going to futz with that; not for a while anyway.

Reactions: mmart
I think the washer on the bottom drain plug is supposed to be a crush washer and replaced every time the plug is removed, but I rarely replace them unless they leak.
I used to drain the oil from the bottom as well as the side drain. I found that I would get oil leaking from bottom drain because gasket did not seal it always did this so I finally got it to seal. Then I decided I would just drain oil from the side drain where the screen is. I was concerned that the constant issue with the bottom drain I did not want to risk striping the drain bolt. I have no problems with the bottom drain but I stopped draining from bottom drain. I don’t think it’s worth going back to bottom drain is necessary

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.