Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I pull the headlight and taillight fuses, I get a 12.6v. With all the fuses in it charges about 11.5 and runs the battery dead after a few miles. Wiggled the junction box cables and it started charging better for a moment. Anyone dealt with this before??? Thanks Martin

·
Registered
881 Posts
i would clean all the connections and apply some dialectic grease. allthough you may have a short somewhere. hang in there, there are some good electrical guys here that will help.

·
Registered
235 Posts
any auto parts store will have it.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
autozone! what can I say I am a devoted autozone customer. I will drive 10 miles past an advanced auto and 100 past a napa to buy my stuff at autozone!
And no I dont work there, I work for cvs pharmacy.

and I will drive a 100 miles past a walgreens to shop at cvs. LOL

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
When I pull the headlight and taillight fuses, I get a 12.6v. With all the fuses in it charges about 11.5 and runs the battery dead after a few miles. Wiggled the junction box cables and it started charging better for a moment. Anyone dealt with this before??? Thanks Martin
Check the back side of your JB and see if you have acid damage. :beerchug:

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
You need to replace the JB, there is one in the link below it will fit all years. Replace your battery with a good MF AGM battery in the link below. Check your R/R connector for acid damage as well, located under the battery box.

JB

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400002489761&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Battery

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Deka-ETX15L-Powersports-AGM-Battery-100-NEW_W0QQitemZ270282472155QQcmdZViewItemQQptZOther_Vehicle_Parts?hash=item3eee173adb&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
replace the JB, No help , Replace battery with a good MF.!!!!!!! RUN great I get a 12.6v to
12.9 at 3000 RPM

·
rider
213 Posts
hello martin.

unfortunately, the charging system on our favorite motorcycle is a bit of a sore point. given that you've replaced the junction box and the battery, the next two suspects are the regulator/rectifier (in its stock location, it's underneath the battery box) or the stator. you'll need to a get a multimeter (radio shack or another electronics store has these) and start taking some electrical readings to determine where the problem lies.

there's a fault finding guide here http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/fault-finding-guide.php which will help you track down the problem. your hope would be that it's a problem with the r/r as it's fairly easy to replace. the stator unfortunately requires completely removing the engine (or at least tilting it at an angle) so that you have enough clearance to take the engine cover off and access the stator.

do some searches on this site. you'll come across a lot of info regarding the charging system. here's wishing it's an easy fix for you!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just having the same problem with my VN700. have replaced the R/R now to change the stator.
someone did suggest to me that it might be the pickup coils that could be the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
on the rectifier SH650A-12 6.2 what does the 6.2 stand for. And the bl-y wire get hot and does not change w/fuse (head light & tail ) are put in JB Ipull the fuse and it will change but I have no lights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts