Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I believe I'm having the dreaded charging issue. Here's my story.

I went driving a week ago and after I got back to my place I put the bike in neutral and left it running. I went into the house to get something and came back out to the bike and it died on me. I tried to start it back up but the battery had no juice at all.

So I charged the battery overnight and tried it again in the morning. Then I brought the multimeter out and sure enough the voltage was slowly going down on the battery.

So I started by following the guide on thiis "Simple charging system troubleshooting" thread. I disconnected the bullet connectors coming from the stator and started testing. The resistance between the connectors was about 0.5 or so, and there was no continuity to ground so all good so far. But then I started the bike, revved her up to 3000 RPMs and tried testing the A/C Voltage output from the leads to one another they were 7V, 10V & 5V.

So is my stator fracked? Is there anything I could be missing? Also I noticed when my bike running with my stator disconnected my headlight didn't turn on. This is my first time noticing it being out. Is that normal?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
I was thinking the AC voltage test was to be done from each lead and ground, but then saw info that said to check voltage between leads, which didn't make sense to me. Asked about it, but haven't found an answer yet. (edit: this is incorrect, the ac test is done between stator leads)

The stator AC output should be 40-70 volts on each lead, and all reasonably close to being equal.

If your stator was disconnected, the headlight wouldn't come on because the trigger wire to the relay wouldn't get any voltage.

Mine tested good seven times over a few weeks. Then after I did the MOSFET kit, the stator was suddenly dead shorted to ground on all three legs. So they're finicky on testing, sometimes they don't fail until they're warmed up also. My R/R wouldn't read anything at all, so I knew it was toast.

edit: If your test was done right, the stator AC voltage is way down, which means a trip down to stator land. See you there.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Disregard what I posted about checking AC voltage between leads and ground, that's not correct. Not sure where I got that, don't have the link now, which is good.

You did it correctly by testing between stator leads.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Wow....your almost a Newfie....just a lil water between....
Welcome to the disfunctional family, eh......

You guys in Ontario, look, a neighbor !!! More in NS though.

Hey....what do your exhaust pipes look like...one each side, or 2 on one side ?....we been having a discussion about Canadian VNs....

Seems like those in Ontario have 2 outta one side, which isnt stock factory...wondering what you have.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have exhaust pipes on both sides. I didn't buy in new I bought it used from a guy in Summerside.

So I guess I need a new stator. Any recommendations? Dealer gave me a ridiculous quote of $260. Are the cheaper ones on eBay that much lower in quality?

Would it be wise to get a new R/R too?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another quick question. Will the bike stop running if the battery voltage gets too low or is a strong battery just needed to start the bike.?

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Another quick question. Will the bike stop running if the battery voltage gets too low or is a strong battery just needed to start the bike.?
Yes, the coils need adequate voltage to create spark.

:smiley_th x2

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
The stator recommended most is from TPE, Tim Parrott Enterprises. You can search that here, Ebay, and he has a website.

The price is lowest on his website: http://tpe-usa.com/

You send your stator to him, he rewinds it with larger and better quality wire which increases the output, and he sends it back.

I paid $81.95+8.25 shipping to him, it should get there today, it's already in Alabama.

Racetech was selling stators with a lifetime warranty, but I think they may have abandoned that, couldn't find one in a search.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Check on ebay for stator prices and remember that sometimes you get what you pay for.I was warned away from Electrosports brand.I don't know but some have bought "Ricks" electrics.When you buy one of the chinese ones it is just a crap shoot.Most on here send their stator to Tlm Parrot Enterprises "TPE" to have them rewound with better wire than they come from the factory with.

Others will chime in with recommendations and their experience with different brands Hang around a while to get a feeling of what kind of service others have gotten from different vendors.

You can post a thread under the buy and sell section and someone may have a bike they are parting out.or an extra stator they will part with.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
The stator recommended most is from TPE, Tim Parrott Enterprises. You can search that here, Ebay, and he has a website.

The price is lowest on his website: http://tpe-usa.com/

You send your stator to him, he rewinds it with larger and better quality wire which increases the output, and he sends it back.

I paid $81.95+8.25 shipping to him, it should get there today, it's already in Alabama.

Racetech was selling stators with a lifetime warranty, but I think they may have abandoned that, couldn't find one in a search.
I have recently sent my stator in to Tim Parrot Enterprises (TPE) ....
...like$6.00 ship to TPE.....Rewound - $82.00 shipped to Houston

:smiley_th x2

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
I googled the heck out of stators and found posts like "Another Rick's stator bites the dust.", didn't pay attention to the dates though. I think those are running about $120 on Ebay, and the same with Electrosport.

On that lifetime warranty, someone here did buy one a couple of weeks ago, and that's when I found I couldn't get one, but I didn't contact Racetech either. That stator comes with a voltmeter to mount on your bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lot for all the quick responses. I've been lurking this forum for a while and its been very helpful.

I was really hoping that my stator wasn't bad, as it seems like a big undertaking to replace/fix it. I still might take my bike to a shop and get them to test it to see if I'm missing anything obvious.

I fired an email off to TPE to see what kind of price I can expect to ship to PEI Canada.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK so I ordered a new stator and r/r. I've been reading as much as possible about doing this job but I'm a little scared about the bevel gear case. Messing with gears would be just the thing that would cause me to hand my bike over to the dealership.

How tricky/involved is this step of the engine tilt/stator replacement?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
It's really not that hard, just time consuming.I would wager that most on here cut there teeth on wrenching on bikes by doing either a stator job or spline lube/drivegear replacement.

Take plenty of pictures as you go and that way you can refer back to them if you get to wondering if something doesn't look right.Take your time and ask questions if need be.The members on this forum will have your back:)

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
I lifted and tilted my engine without pulling the bevel gear case, also left all the cables connected to the carbs... and maybe other items I'm not remembering. One less gasket I'll have to buy.

I did take the air box out, in one piece, makes a lot of room. (see my post)

If you pull the bevel gear case, there's no gears or lash setup involved. There's just a spring and a 'dog' that comes out, the gears stay contained in the case. Pics in the manual.

Since I have the back wheel off for a tire and spline lube, lining up the driveshaft will be easy. But Chuck said he did it without pulling the bevel and it was easy.

I have a floor jack with a 2x6 block under the engine, biased to the front so it tips back. And the whole time I kept a ratchet strap looped around the engine to help catch it if it comes off the jack. Don't think I can lift it myself, or don't feel like it at least, so I'm not taking it out of the frame.

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Go with the Tim Parrot Stator. He's a great guy, will answer any of your questions if you need to call him. I put one of his Stators in my '94 last year and it has been performing great.......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts