Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, real newbie here. Never ride or own before. I'm looking at buying a 1994 Vulcan 750. It's got 27,000 miles on it. When I test ride it, it seems to vibrate quiet a bit. Is that normal? I heard people say that I will start having problems are 30K miles. What are your experiences with this year model? What should I be expecting with this bike?

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
Vibration is not normal, for a v-twin, the 750 is as smooth as an inline. May see some slightly higher vibes at idle, but it's not buzzy. Balancer bushings could be bad.

Charging system and dry splines are just about the most common problem.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I replaced the dampers in mine and I do still get some substantial vibration, though it WAS reduced. (Used to make my feet go numb within a mile at 4-5k RPM, now makes my feet tingle just a bit)

I may still be experiencing some other problem, or perhaps a bad install on the dampers, but I seriously doubt that at this point.

I voiced concern over my vibrations after the damper job, and Knifemaker chimed in and said that even from the factory his bike would transmit vibrations enough to make his feet tingle a bit and his mirrors go a bit blurry. Then again, at 27k miles + 23 years old the bike are very likely in need of new dampers.

How substantial is the vibration? Do your feet go numb on the pegs? Do your hands get uncomfortable holding the handlebars? If so, you will likely have to replace them very soon if you buy it.

Since you're looking at one of these prospectively, the main thing to note is that if you're gonna buy it, you WILL have to work on it. Shops aren't the best at working on it, it's a weird bike, and a lot of jobs take a TON of labor to do (the dampers require you to remove the engine). I love my bike (maybe stockholm syndrome a bit) but have had my "f-this" moments a couple of times before, and have been working on mine since the day I got it, either customizing or doing preventative maintenance. Are you willing to become your own motorcycle mechanic? If not, this bike might piss you off.

I feel bad trashing 'em, but I would be remiss if I didn't let somebody know how finnicky these bikes are...

·
2,539 Posts
I just finished getting my 05 running and it's running smooth......no Vibrations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't ride it long enough so I can't really tell. I know for sure it was vibrating a lot from the gas tank. I don't remember my hands or feet going numb. I just thought it might be normal because of age. I'm not mechanically inclined so I wouldn't really know where to start if I had to do my own fixing.

Thanks everyone! I might have to think more about this bike. Will probably go ride it one more time.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Mine definitely vibrates thru the gas tank. Not excessively, but noticeably. I may or may not have any issues, at this point I have resigned myself to thinking it is normal and acceptable so I don't lose my mind (I'm a veritable mechano-chondriac). Even mine is an '05 w/ 17k miles on it, so it has some age, and was definitely not very well taken care of for a long time before I got it.

I've also hear a couple people who own multiple VN750's that they have variations in smoothness/handling/attitude between different bikes they've owned, so I could chalk it up to that.

All I know is that I really enjoy working on vehicles, am very mechanically inclined, have done a ton of work on this bike in the ~1 year I've owned it. Some of the work was necessary, some of it was just me tinkering and getting carried away.

After all, though, even with my reservations, I love my bike and love riding it, even though it has certainly made me say "Shoulda bought that f*ckin' Honda..." more than once

1 - 6 of 6 Posts