Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy has a 7500 mile 1992 Vulcan that's been sitting for 14 years. He says his uncle gave it to him when he moved far away, but he never rode it. He says it's in great shape, but needs a battery and a tune-up...

I'm thinking new tires, clean the carbs, new plugs, oil... check the brakes, as they might be bad from sitting, etc...

Any 'gotchas' to look out for? I know to ask if it's got a good title. I'll try to start it with a jump start, and see if the headlight dims at idle to check for a working stator...

I'm kind of wallowing between this and the 4800 mile 05 for $3k... or just waiting to see what else comes along. LOL

Thanks!

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
How much is he asking? As you said, it'll need tires, battery, tuneup, carb clean, oil change, tank cleaning, electrical check, etc. All of that will be at least $1000, maybe more. If his asking price is less than $1000 I'd consider it, if not pass for the '05.

It makes me sad hearing about old, low-mileage bikes. Better to ride it until it falls apart. Mine? Put 2k on the odometer in the last 3 weeks. Ride, ride, then ride some more.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
You don't say where the bike is....(city, state)?

Also: you don't say what cosmetic condition the bike is in (was it stored in an enclosed environment--or if was stored outside, instead)?

A relative says it could be rideable in a few days by replacing the tires & battery, a few hydraulic lines (and the fluids), and running Chem Tool carb cleaner thru the carbs (instead of detailed carb cleaning and/or overhaul). This assumes no loose rust in the fuel tank.

Do any of the rest of you agree with this assessment? Or is he being a bit too optimistic?....:)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I talked with him on the phone this evening.
He said the tank is rusty and the battery is dead.
Nobody has tried to start it.
He said the tank has a few scratches that look like they came from a belt buckle, and the seat has a couple of dabs of paint on it.
He hadn't checked to see if the brakes worked, but was going to see if they 'felt' good.
He also said he's no mechanic, and works with rocks all day. LOL
The license plate reads 1996, and it's been kept in a garage.
I'm assuming it's an unheated garage since the tank is rusty.

He wants $800 as it sits.
He is supposed to send pics tomorrow.
Here's a pic after he pressure washed it.

That's all I've got right now. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
05 for 3k if it's been cared for...actually make em an (cash) offer, wether they know it or not, it's a buyers market. Seen vn750s sit on CL for months. Seen lots of bikes sit on CL for months. Midpoint of Kelley Blue Book is $2705. If it is in great shape, I'd probably start at $2,500, willing to go to $2,800. My 2 cents, and not even worth that!

James
RR

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not going to jump on this, so I'll share the craigslist ad. He started at $2000 in his first ad, posted ads going progressively down to $1000, in this last one he says he'll even trade it for a pellet stove... and on the phone he said he'll take $800.

He said he doesn't know anything about bikes and isn't a bike person.

He also said that he probably won't bother posting it again until spring.

Here it is, in case anybody is interested.
Item is located in Columbus, Ohio

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/1994221139.html

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
He should part it out. He can sell me the final drive. I will take it for 100$.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Damn! Too bad he is in OH. I have a pellet stove that I don't use that I would trade. I can imagine what the shipping charge would be pretty expensive too.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
If you are able to do most of the work on the '92, $300-$500 would be my price range. Otherwise, go with the newer bike.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I was in the same boat as you.. '92 sat for many years.. only outside...looked much more worse than that one....Check everything!...I picked mine up for $175 and have about $500 into it now...but I did all of the work myself... Flightcontrol is right.. I wouldnt go over $500 for it.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I got my 92 after it had been brought back to life after it got parked in 93... the guy I bought it from spent $500 to get it running, and paid $1000 to buy it. He then sold it to me becasue the headlight quit working on him.. replaced the JB and it has been running good ever since... I have put another 1200 into mine.. but every dime I spent was used to make the bike mine.

if you have good mechanical skills, the time, and the ambition, I say go for it. The worst case senereo... you have a parts bike and go get the 05

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm not going to jump on this, so I'll share the craigslist ad. He started at $2000 in his first ad, posted ads going progressively down to $1000, in this last one he says he'll even trade it for a pellet stove... and on the phone he said he'll take $800.
He said he doesn't know anything about bikes and isn't a bike person.
He also said that he probably won't bother posting it again until spring.
Here it is, in case anybody is interested.
Item is located in Columbus, Ohio
http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/1994221139.html
Good Luck!

Offer $500, then trailer it down to GA and give Lance328 another $500 to get it road worthy.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
I'd say a 1992 that's been sitting for a while, $800 isnt a bad price. Heck, i just spend about $350 in my saddlebags, supports, and signal relocator kit. If i could snag it up fo that price i would, just for the parts alone! I mean tank, seat, sidecovers, rims, final drive, pipes, gauge cluster, handlebars, forks, ah gosh the list goes on and on. If you were to part it out you could probably get about $1500 for it lol!!
That's just my two cents though.

Peace

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
I think you need to think long and hard on prices of bikes right now. You look on CL, and there's a ton of listings every day. They're not selling. eBay is the same.

Consider this, I bought my '01 VN750 in April of '08 for $2k. It had 2,300 miles on it. It had been knocked over in the barn, so it had two small dents in the gas tank, and the handlebars were bent. I had the bars straightened for $20, and didn't worry about the dents in the tank. I put 10,000 miles on the bike, and sold it this past May for $1,650 after putting a brand new tire on the back. I figured I got my money's worth out of it.
I first tried to get $2,500, but kept dropping the price until it sold.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
I think you need to think long and hard on prices of bikes right now. You look on CL, and there's a ton of listings every day. They're not selling. eBay is the same.

Consider this, I bought my '01 VN750 in April of '08 for $2k. It had 2,300 miles on it. It had been knocked over in the barn, so it had two small dents in the gas tank, and the handlebars were bent. I had the bars straightened for $20, and didn't worry about the dents in the tank. I put 10,000 miles on the bike, and sold it this past May for $1,650 after putting a brand new tire on the back. I figured I got my money's worth out of it.
I first tried to get $2,500, but kept dropping the price until it sold.
I do agree, bikes aren't selling like they use to be, BUT, it also matters where you are from. Here in minnesota, winter is coming, so the bikes get put away, and many who may be in the market for a bike may be looking for a sled now instead. Come spring i expect bikes to be selling better.
I bought my 2001 vn750 in 2007 with (6300miles, in great condition) and paid $2900 for it, I now see 01s and 02s selling for about $2000 and its many years later.

It's also the old Buy Low, Sell High theory. I see old 1970's and 80's bikes in good condition selling around this area for $1200 easily. My bud who works at the local gas station just bought an old 1985 Shadow for $1100, it only has 4500 miles on it and one small scratch on the tank. It needs new tires though, but hes gonna get them come spring.

Now ksmnet you sold your 01 with just over 12k miles for $1650?? I don't mean to be disrespectful, but dam, why did you give the buyer such a great f'n deal?!
With all my accessories, mods, and bling bling on mine, i would have to get at least $2800 for it, lol and i paid $3K for it! Call me crazy, but that's what its worth to me. Now if i was broke and really really had to sell it, i would come down on that price sure.
But that's the old, what you want to sell it for and what its worth to you compared to the market value. It gets to that point where you put so much into the bike that in reality if you sold it for book value you would never get what you put into it, so you say to yourself, hey this is what its worth to ME, if someone wants it, they will pay that price for it.
Take my truck for instance, i bought it, its a 1999 4x4, had 110K miles on it, 2 years later with 120k miles (yes i only drove 10Kmiles in 2 years, i rode the motorcycle more lol), anyway 2 years and 10K miles, the engine piston wall gets scored damaged fubar whatever, and i had to drop $3K to put in a new motor. Now another 3 years later, and 35K miles on the new motor, and 155K on the tranny, my reverse goes out!! Now im dropping another $1800 for a tranny rebuild. The kelly blue book on my truck with 155K is only like $3900.
I paid $6900 for it and will have put in $4800 to $5000 into the truck. So there's no way in heck i will ever get my money out of it if i tried to sell it. So i am going to drive, drive and drive the thing till i wreck it or its a rust pile. lol

And i'm going to say the same thing for my bike, im going to ride it, ride it, and ride it till i either wreck it or its a rust pile. lol

Peace out bros

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
that aint far from me, wish I had the cash.
where you from n20mike? update your profile when u get time!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that aint far from me, wish I had the cash.
where you from n20mike? update your profile when u get time!
I'm from Spencer, WV... which isn't too far from your location.
Heck, might see ya' round, sometime! :smiley_th

1 - 19 of 19 Posts