Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well working on restoring my bike now. I pulled off both fenders, fuel tank, and the side caps that go under the seat next to the battery. Got the fuel tank sanded down nicely, and did what was said to do in the one threat about the battery charger and the mixture. That works so well, but I'm going to get some of that fuel tank coating and coat the inside of the tank again. I'm undecided on the color that I want to paint the bike, but I'm thinking right now a dark blue metallic color.

I'm putting the rest of the bike in storage till I get my taxes back, and I'm going to take it to a bike shop and have all the problems with the motor taken care of.

It should be pretty nice when it's done though. I'm going to throw some pictures in the album on here so check them out if you want. The album right now is just the restoration one and once it gets ready to ride I'll make another album for it.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
How about posting a link to the album?

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about posing a link to the album?
Lol sorry about that I thought I put the link to the pictures in my signature last night, but I didn't. I got the link in my signature now for the pictures, and there is only one picture of the bike in there right now cause I still have to re size all the other pictures that I took of work that has been done so far. I'll have those pictures up here as soon as I can.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Here`s another idea for paint. Take a look at this "Marbelized" tank and see what you think. I love the look and would like to get a spare tank to try it out my self.
http://www.gadgetjq.com/prezzzzpaint.htm

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here`s another idea for paint. Take a look at this "Marbelized" tank and see what you think. I love the look and would like to get a spare tank to try it out my self.
http://www.gadgetjq.com/prezzzzpaint.htm
That's really cool looking, but it does seem really hard to do though. I got some old car parts I can mess with and see how it all turns out and see if I like it enough to do to the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Honestly, I like the original color of the bike. 'Course, I'm partial to red. Maybe doing the original color with the marbleizing effect that Ol Hoss suggested would be pretty cool.

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you need to line the tank, I recommend this product over any other: http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm
Thank you for putting that link on here. I took a look at that website, and I really loved the information that they gave about their product. I'm going to purchase it in a couple of months. Thank you again for letting me know about that product.

Honestly, I like the original color of the bike. 'Course, I'm partial to red. Maybe doing the original color with the marbleizing effect that Ol Hoss suggested would be pretty cool.
I don't like the original color of the bike to much myself. I'm leaning towards a blue metallic color right now on the whole bike. I got a buddy of mine that is really good at air brushing, and he's going to take care of the graphics that I'm wanting to put on the bike. I'm wanting to have tribal starting on the front fender working back to the tank then the side caps, and finally ending on the rear fender basically having it one continues design that flows together.

Now as far as the stock stickers (Kawasaki and Vulcan) I'm not going to put those stickers back on the bike. I want to do that in Old English text and probably going to be done in a silver color. That's just a couple of ideas that I have working right now. There is other changes that I'm going to make to the bike, but those are yet to be fully decided upon.

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the bondo work done on the tank. Started to prime it, and sadly the bondo job isn't perfect as far as the curves of the tank goes. You can kind of see the flat spots on it. All and all though it's not that bad of a job. I'll throw some more pictures on here in a little bit if anyone wants to see how it looks.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Got the bondo work done on the tank. Started to prime it, and sadly the bondo job isn't perfect as far as the curves of the tank goes. You can kind of see the flat spots on it. All and all though it's not that bad of a job. I'll throw some more pictures on here in a little bit if anyone wants to see how it looks.
Of course we want to see. I always find it interesting, not only what people have done to their rides, but also of how they did it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
As far as tank coatings go many break down after years and make a mess in your gas tank as they flake off......I'd try and find a clean used tank if you could rather than coat it with anything.

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Of course we want to see. I always find it interesting, not only what people have done to their rides, but also of how they did it.
I'm going to get the pictures up here right after I post this reply. It took me a while to find my camera after the last time I used it. Sadly I lost it for a while in my basement. The bondo work on it was pretty hard to do, but it seems to hold itself together pretty well for right now.

As far as tank coatings go many break down after years and make a mess in your gas tank as they flake off......I'd try and find a clean used tank if you could rather than coat it with anything.
Yeah I know the bondo will flake off after a while, but I'm working with what I can for right now on a temp fix for this. With the price people are wanting for a tank I just don't have the money for one right now, and probably won't till late next year sometime. I'm hoping to get at least 2 seasons on this bike first then I'll get the new (used tank) for it. There is a metal work shop in the area I live in so I might try to have a new tank just built for it, but we will have to wait and see what happens.

Right now the biggest part of the restoration is going to be the carbs. There is a few parts on the carbs that are shot and in need of replacement, and it's going to cost right around $350 for all the parts needed. I'm also going to replace some of the electrical as well since a few of the wires are torn up pretty badly (my fault cause I wasn't paying any attention).

This is going to be a fun restoration though. I'm also working on restoring my boat as well, and the bike is going to be a whole lot cheaper to restore than the boat so that really makes me happy.

After I get the pictures loaded to my album I'm going to post them in a message on here as well. Or at least some of them. The paint job on the bike is going to be done by a professional because of the style paint job that I decided to go with, and I don't have enough experience to do that type of a paint job sadly. I'm doing a 2 coat paint job that the base coat with be silver, and the top coat will be that rain effect job where you mist water onto the base coat then paint over it. I've always loved that style paint job, and this is going to be the first experience with owning a vehicle with that type of paint job on it. I don't know what color to go with the top coat that will match with the silver or what color to do the KAWASAKI letters on the tank with and those are going to be done in Old English text as well as the VULCAN 750 on the side caps. If anyone has any ideas on the colors please let me know.

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a few pictures that I'll put right into the thread. I'll need to take pictures of the front fender and one of the side caps and put it on here.

Now the bondo job area's were actually smaller than the amount of bondo you are seeing in the picture so thankfully there is all that much bondo on the fuel tank.

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These final 4 pictures are after the entire tank was done being primed.

This final picture where the tape is around is the eneven spot on the tank where I wasn't able to sand the bondo job down good to get the correct curves of the tank, but it will work for now till I can afford to get a new (used tank) for the bike.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Net.......when I mentioned the tank coatings I meant the INSIDE of the tank for rust. I know the "Cream" stuff will begin to flake off over time and cause a mess in your tank and plug up your carbs.

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Net.......when I mentioned the tank coatings I meant the INSIDE of the tank for rust. I know the "Cream" stuff will begin to flake off over time and cause a mess in your tank and plug up your carbs.
Oh' that's what your talking about. Yeah I'm kinda lost right now on what to do as far as that goes. I'm planning on putting in 2 in-line filters to hopefully catch as much gunk as possible.

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like you did pretty good on the outside man! Looking forward to 'finished' pictures...
Thank you, yeah the bondo work was really hard to get done. I'm going to start working on the toolbox storage area this weekend since I have to build one for it. My bike didn't come with one so off to build one. I got the thread on here for building one marked as a fav. so I can find it, but I'm going to do mine a little different and give it some design. We shall see and hope it turns out well. Thankfully it's just wood and cheap to make.

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got the paint all picked out for the bike. The base coat is going to be a metallic black and the top coat will be a scarlet red. I'm going to have the dripping effect painted on the bike. I have no idea how to work it with the water and all, but the pros know what to do.

Well checked the mail today and the new heat shields are here. I want to thank Cheman for having this part up for sale on here. It saved me from buying them brand new, and they are in great condition. The only problem is the ones on the bike are going to be harder than heck to take off to put these new ones on there. I got some rust eater spray working on the rust right now, but I'm not going to be putting these new ones on till next year when I pull the bike out of storage to put it back together. Thank you again Cheman for the heat shields.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts