Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all!

I was recently gifted a 1989 Vulcan 750.
Was one owner, passed away, his son got ahold of it and stripped it down and I'm finding a lot of awful electrical 'modifications'.

This is a serious restoration project.
Poor thing's motor seems solid, but everything is is in need of help.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
Used wiring harness can often be found on ebay. That's the route I would go, unless I could find a cheap parts bike since much of what you have looks abused.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Used wiring harness can often be found on ebay. That's the route I would go, unless I could find a cheap parts bike since much of what you have looks abused.
I'm confident in my wiring abilities. I'm an aircraft electrician, just wanting to make sure I don't miss anything crucial.
I'm going for a mad max, rusty fabricated fenders minimalist look, so I'm going with the abused look.

Would a Haynes manual provide more information than what's available online?

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
Clymer and Haynes together should have everything you need, most on here swear by Clymer, but I still have the online Haynes subscription. Figured more info couldn’t hurt. For the electrical I think the Clymer may have a bit more detail

·
Registered
9,265 Posts

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,419 Posts
Welcome to the nucking futhouse. A new harness is not that hard to put in. Basically plug and play

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I like it. Keep the rust and clear coat or bring it down to the metal and buff it out.
Wiring isn't that difficult, sounds like you got the skills. Post pics of your progress.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So it looks like:
Each cylinder has 150-155 psi (compression and leak down test)
Starter motor is strong (ran with a jumper box for 3-5 seconds)
Put oil in it, flushed the rust water from the rad, put distilled water in it, got a AGM battery, a ZG1400 R/R, a two position keyed ignition switch, and some aftermarket hand controls.

We'll see if the Ignitor box will work (reads out of limits from the service manual)

I got some 5k resistance plugs for under $15 (specific kits are like $40+ on ebay)

Once I get the hand controls and ignition switch wired up I should be able to see if it'll get spark.

Tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

1 - 10 of 10 Posts