Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
keep it trashy
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me start by saying this is my first vulcan ,found it in a Harley owners garage it came with a clean title and 33k miles on it ,i am now the owner and only paid. 350$ ....the problem.the bike gets spark if one coil is hooked up.but if i hook both coils up there's nothing to either coil . I've tested both coils and they both work. Pickup coils work because if they were bad i wouldn't get any spark at all....right? The only other thing is.....the cdi box....which new is more than what i paid for the bike.and if i buy one does it matter what year? Or is it okay as long as its a vn750 cdi box? This is driving me crazy. please help....does anyone know what's wrong???? And does anyone here have a used one i can buy?i love to ride and just want to be back with my knees to the breeze. Thank you guys

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
Do get a maintenence free batt.
Make sure and check/clean the engine and frame ground points to batt(-).
Do buy the iridium plugs.
Check/replace any ignition wiring that shows cracking or deformity.

Good hunting ...

·
keep it trashy
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,no bad wires.battery is full 12 volt.i usually keep my trickle 1.5 on it.got the plugs and cleaned up all my ground wires, same issue.again if both coils are connected neither one gets spark but if i disconnect one the other throws awesome blue spark....vise versa.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Did you do some work on the bike before this happened. Did you mess with the wires going to the coils or other electrical wires for the ignition. You could have a wire or wires crossed and when it is all hooked up the hot wire is being grounded. I see after reading the whole thread you bought it this way. The original PO may have messed with some wires and got them backwards. This is what it seems to have happened. Just another thought to try and help.

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
rat,

I would definately go through the IC Ignitor resistance checks as outlined in the downloadable maintenence manual sheet 15-24. If there was a problem with the IC Ignitor, it may show up. If the ignitor checks out good, then trace and verify/inspect wiring as shown on sheet 15-19 of the same manual. Checking the coils with an ohm meter is a good check, but one of them may be behaving differently under high voltage.
Unfortunately, this problem may not be experienced by many before, making it more difficult to arm-chair diagnose.

Good hunting ...

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
humm.....never heard of this problem before. I guess I would "ring out" the wires from the coils to the CDI first. you really need the schematic to check out the ign. circuit...

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
You can find ignitors on ebay for just over $100 (buy it now).
As far as i can tell, any VN750 model year should work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts