Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found an 86 vn750 on craigslist for $400.
Ad says hasnt been ridden in 2 years and needs carbs gone thru.
Thinking about snatching it up..for only $400 it be worth it right?
As long as the guy has the title.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
Yea id snatch it if it has a title

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
I concur, a title is a must. The great thing is even if you don't fix it you know where to part it out lol.

·
2,519 Posts
I concur, a title is a must. The great thing is even if you don't fix it you know where to part it out lol.
X2 :motorcycl

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
Heh heh he said snatch heh heh

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
And you're still just thinking about it because ............?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Passed for low miles '89.

I looked at it 2 days ago. A bit rusty/crusty but all there save a few little bits. Bad tires,38k. I offered $225 and he said OK. Tell him John sent you.GJ:)

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I paid $400 for it...its in ok condition, for its age and mileage, its got 36K on it.
Here are some pics.

As u can see in the last pic, im getting a collection here, lol. the two in the back are the 85/86 Kawi 454s i am slowly restoring. One is for my dad, the other one may go to my wife..or this vn750 will, so we both have vn750s lol :)

Anyway, it looks like someone replaced the stator in it, theres red gasket stuff on the outer engine cover, im probably sure they didnt do the stator mod.
Also the stator cover with the 3 screws, the 3 screws are stripped to hell, gonna have fun getting them out.
All the sidecovers and stuff are in the box along with the airfilter ears and other parts.
It's gonna need new blinkers, new foot brake pedal, new front brake and clutch levers, new mirrors, probably new brake pads, and i will replace all the cables too.
The seat is in good condition, no luggage rack or back tool box :(.
I will start gathering parts for it this winter and have it on the road next fall hopefully.

You offered him $225 and he said no or yes? why didnt you buy it?
I think its well worth $400...even if i parted it out i could at least make $600 on it if not more.

It was a long drive to get it, driving to Minneapolis, and all the dam road construction, and then of course rush hour on the way back! holy crap...

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also i would like to add that if i disappear and am no longer on here, and some of you see my name and pic in the local obituaries, that's cuz my wife found out i bought another bike to fix and she killed me....LOL

·
Registered
78 Posts
I offered 225 he would've taken that but i got an '89 w 8.2k on it,new rear,runs good etc for 1000. I calculated that one would take a minimum of 500 in parts to be usable. No-brainer when that one had 38k on it. It worked out foe both of us!

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I offered 225 he would've taken that but i got an '89 w 8.2k on it,new rear,runs good etc for 1000. I calculated that one would take a minimum of 500 in parts to be usable. No-brainer when that one had 38k on it. It worked out foe both of us!
$500??? i can see new tires being $200...but all the other stuff can't be that much...

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I paid $400 for it...its in ok condition, for its age and mileage, its got 36K on it.
Here are some pics.

As u can see in the last pic, im getting a collection here, lol. the two in the back are the 85/86 Kawi 454s i am slowly restoring. One is for my dad, the other one may go to my wife..or this vn750 will, so we both have vn750s lol :)

Anyway, it looks like someone replaced the stator in it, theres red gasket stuff on the outer engine cover, im probably sure they didnt do the stator mod.
Also the stator cover with the 3 screws, the 3 screws are stripped to hell, gonna have fun getting them out.
All the sidecovers and stuff are in the box along with the airfilter ears and other parts.
It's gonna need new blinkers, new foot brake pedal, new front brake and clutch levers, new mirrors, probably new brake pads, and i will replace all the cables too.
The seat is in good condition, no luggage rack or back tool box :(.
I will start gathering parts for it this winter and have it on the road next fall hopefully.

You offered him $225 and he said no or yes? why didnt you buy it?
I think its well worth $400...even if i parted it out i could at least make $600 on it if not more.

It was a long drive to get it, driving to Minneapolis, and all the dam road construction, and then of course rush hour on the way back! holy crap...
Great buy....you win !

:smiley_th

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great buy....you win !

:smiley_th
Thanks...i just cant wait to get all 3 of these bikes done....right now my landlord and i are busy remodeling my kitchen, new cabinets and countertops, etc.
I am also working on my project truck, my winter beater that i gotta get running before the snow hits lol.
I figure this winter i can put the bikes in the garage and turn on the nipco heater and work on them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would have got it just for a donor, nice find.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Tires,batt,airbox,bars,seat cover,carb kit,muffler mount cushions,& possibly stat &rr gave that figure. On mine just service,hardwire stat,move rr,bars,rearsets & I'm close to what I want. maybe ss lines & suspension later. I did 2 deep projects last Winter-getting too old for such. The sawn up airbox said rabid teenager/hack! Maybe you're lucky & the stat was replaced-2 colors of silicone??

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a battery for it already.
The airboxes are there..and plus I have an extra set in my garage.
Handlebars seem fine..just needs new levers.
Seat cover? The seat is perfectly fine on it.

I would use it for a donor..but I hate seeing bikes that can be saved torn apart and parted out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Airbox is cut in 3pcs,bars bent(or my aged eyes thought so). bottom line we both are happy. I've got the swingarm off & everything was greased. Changed bars,now to hardwire stat/rr.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
$500??? i can see new tires being $200...but all the other stuff can't be that much...
Depends on how far you want to go with it. I put $2000 and a lot of work into a free '85 Goldwing LTD, finally gave up and sold it for $500 to a guy that was going to part it out. I lost $1500 and all that work, and the frustration that went with it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts