Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 85 VN 700 and was wondering if there is anything I can do to my stock exhaust to make it louder or if I have to find a new system?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Not sure why you want it louder, but if you think "Loud Pipes save Lives", it is a myth.
http://www.virginiawind.com/byways/loud_pipes_save_lives.asp

Most of the danger a motorcyclist faces comes from the front in the 10-2 O`clock position.
Cagers will not hear the exhaust sound projected mostly to the rear.
For safety concerns, spend your money on a Hi-Viz jacket and/or helmet, additional driving lights and/or taillights, and headlight/taillight modulators. JM2Cents Worth

Now in answer to your question-

There have been several folks who have drilled 8 to 12, 3/8" holes in the metal ring around the exhaust outlet in the muffler.

I think a few have used a big hole saw and cut the whole baffle out from the end too.

The results have not been entirely satisfactory, and many ended up with Vance and Hines or other aftermarket exhaust pipes eventually.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
You have several options,

First modify the stock system as Hoss described above.
Second, buy a system like Cobra, Vance and Hines, or Mac's
Third build your own (have an exhaust shop do it if you don't feel comfortable)

Some people have even used cheap Harley Mufflers with good results.

·
Registered
84 Posts
OR..... I have a Scoot Works bypass kit you can have for $20 shipping included if you are interested. I put it on my bike, but I didn't like the loudness of it so I went back to the stock set up. I have had the mufflers drilled out on the stock system and like it but was wanting to see what the bypass kit would sound like. Any ways... if you are interested, PM me and we'll go from there.

·
Super Moderator
11,863 Posts
I have a 85 VN 700 and was wondering if there is anything I can do to my stock exhaust to make it louder or if I have to find a new system?
You know, you can buy a set of hearing aids. If you have good hearing to start with, this will make your bike sound louder to you....and let everyone else not suffer because of your actions.

Some of them you can position the "microphone" remotely...right near the pipes...so you can damage your ears quite rapidly without damaging anyone elses.

Just a thought....
;)

KM

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replys everyone. Waynebo37 I will let you know thanks

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
You know, you can buy a set of hearing aids. If you have good hearing to start with, this will make your bike sound louder to you....and let everyone else not suffer because of your actions.

Some of them you can position the "microphone" remotely...right near the pipes...so you can damage your ears quite rapidly without damaging anyone elses.

Just a thought....
;)

KM
lol...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts