Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm confused at what happened to my bike,I changed the oil and put in rotella 15w40 but after starting it a few times it is now locked up,I did notice after the oil change the motor was noiser and then I started it Saturday morning and it started tapping then I started it that night and it shut off and now it is locked down.

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
Ok I'm confused at what happened to my bike,I changed the oil and put in rotella 15w40 but after starting it a few times it is now locked up,I did notice after the oil change the motor was noiser and then I started it Saturday morning and it started tapping then I started it that night and it shut off and now it is locked down.
How much oil did you put in? What does the sight glass show? Did you put back the screen, spring, and washer behind the drain plug? Any chance something fell into the oil filler hole or into the new oil filter?

Was the fuel petcock turned off? I had a major problem with a previous bike hydrolocking when I left the gas on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put in 3.5 quarts,it was up to the full line,I drained it from the bottom center drain plug,no chance nothing fell in,my petcock is always on,but I drained the oil lastnight and refilled with more new oil and it was trying to turn a hair then it would stop,but now it want do anything.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I put in 3.5 quarts,it was up to the full line,I drained it from the bottom center drain plug,no chance nothing fell in,my petcock is always on,but I drained the oil lastnight and refilled with more new oil and it was trying to turn a hair then it would stop,but now it want do anything.
If you always drain the oil from the bottom center plug instead of the left side, maybe the screen is blocked with debris and you don`t know it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I've only had the bike 3months and never really ran it,and only changed the oil twice.If the screen is blocked would that lock it down?
I never heard a sound in this motor until I changed the oil.
I have all the plugs out and still can't get it to do right.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
the oil sight glass is on the left and the oil filler is on the left... you did put the oil in on the left and not on the right?, because the right is the coolant sight glass and filler.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
If the screen is blocked it could could prevent oil from getting to the oil pump intake I believe. That could seize the engine if it ran too long without any oil pressure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the oil sight glass is on the left and the oil filler is on the left... you did put the oil in on the left and not on the right?, because the right is the coolant sight glass and filler.
Lol,yea I put the oil in the right place.

·
Registered
47 Posts
the manuall also states that the bike shoud be on the center stand and the oil level should come to the around the half way poing of the glass

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the screen is blocked it could could prevent oil from getting to the oil pump intake I believe. That could seize the engine if it ran too long without any oil pressure.
the oil light never came on,is there a way to unseize it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3.5 quarts sounds a little low my manual calls for 4.2 quarts when you change both the oil and the filter,
even if it was half a quart low that shouldn't be low enough to lock it down.
I have no center stand on mine,previous owner removed it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
hmm i don't really have any advice for you there, i know from growing up working on cars with my grandfather that if a car engine locks up it usally results in a overhaul of the engine, and probably if you do get it to turn again there could be damagle done to the rings which would still result in a overhaul

·
Registered
47 Posts
you would be supprized what a half a quart low can do and that was actually closer to a whole quart you wasn't but 0.3 quarts away from being a quart low

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
could it have overheated? that could cause a seize also...
i've seized a tractor and a dirt bike.. both required a rebuild.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Not trying to ask a silly question, but here goes. Are you sure the engine is seized as opposed to the starter simply not turning it over?

·
Registered
47 Posts
from the way he explains it soulds like it is locke but only he can answer that he say he started the bike and the it shut its self off,

·
2,520 Posts
Not trying to ask a silly question, but here goes. Are you sure the engine is seized as opposed to the starter simply not turning it over?
I was thinking the same thing, put a set of jumper cables on it and try it again.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts