Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
quick learner
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so, after trying 13" apes, then stock, then back to 12" apes, I finally decided to go big or go home and ordered some 18" stocks. I was wondering how many guys have done this themselves or had a shop do all the cable work for them and what cables needed to be lengthened and what lengths the cables are for their 18" ape hangers. Also if anyone has pics of the ape hangers on their bikes, pics of how the controls are positioned on their apes, and pics of how the cables are wired on their bike that would be a great help.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I started out with 12" and came to the same conclusion as you, go big or go home. I went with 16" apes that I got on e-bay. After doing the 12" myself I just had my local shop do everything needed with the 16". We ordered all of the cables (clutch, brake,throttle and choke) through Motion-Pro out of California then the shop spliced the electrical for me. Motion-Pro probaly even still has the lengths somwhere for my bike and I have enough length in my cables to handle another 2". One bit of warning, I am 6'2" and I feel like my hands are pretty much straight out with the 16", but I received a warning ticket in Wyoming a couple of years ago for them being above my shoulders (the only time).
Here are the links to a few pictures that I could find.........

http://www.vn750.com/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=101&cat=500
http://www.flickr.com/photos/airord/sets/72157606655448936/

·
quick learner
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After doing the 12" myself I just had my local shop do everything needed with the 16". We ordered all of the cables (clutch, brake,throttle and choke) through Motion-Pro out of California then the shop spliced the electrical for me.
Do you by chance know at all the lengths of your cables? and how much did it cost you just for the cables?

One bit of warning, I am 6'2" and I feel like my hands are pretty much straight out with the 16", but I received a warning ticket in Wyoming a couple of years ago for them being above my shoulders (the only time).
Yea NJ(my home state) SAYS you cant have handlebars ovr your shoulders but I see guys with them all the time and I go to school in PA and they dont have a law against that and I ride in NY sometimes and I dont think they have a law against it either but thanks for the heads up

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I honestly don't recall the lengths of the cables as it was so long ago that I ordered them. I'm thinking they were around $60.00 to $80.00 apiece or so and I ordered the braided and coated cables. If you call Motion-Pro they are very helpfull and can probably tell you the lengths you will need. If I remember right our stock bars are 8" mini apes so you will have to go at least ten inches over on everything.........Good luck!

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/cables/

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
If I remember right our stock bars are 8" mini apes so you will have to go at least ten inches over on everything.........Good luck!
Yes you are correct... our stock bars measure 8" high, 31" wide, 11" pull back, 5 1/2" center, and 3x5" clamp area. hope t his helps a little

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
What's the attraction of ape hangers? I've never tried them so I'm honestly curious. Are they comfortable despite the fact that they appear anything but? Can't imagine they improve handling but really, I have no idea so I'm open to learning about them

·
quick learner
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I honestly don't recall the lengths of the cables as it was so long ago that I ordered them. I'm thinking they were around $60.00 to $80.00 apiece or so and I ordered the braided and coated cables.
I emailed the gentleman at motionpro and he was sayi that for the clutch, choke, and both throttle cables it would cost about $145 for all of them with the black vinyl like the stock coating and that breaks down to 3 cables at $35 and 1 at $40 which is great and thats at a +12" above stock length...got my bike and bars to a local shop who is gonna do all the electrical wiring and brake hose change etc and install and order all the cables and see what length i need exactly w/o too much slack...hopefully wont be more than 2-3 weeks cuz he is so busy and i'll post up pics asap!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Apes all the way

The best mod I made to the vulcan has been 16" apes. My hands are level or only slightly higher than shoulders. I would do 18" if I had to do over. Keeps my back straight and no slouching or bending forward.

I put mine on myself a few months after buying it. Went thru Motion Pro also and got braided break lines from local shop. 10" over stock sounds about right. I followed a post someone else wrote (maybe Stevie D?)There may be some pictures on my album here or at Yahoo Vulcan site. Check my contacts here for examples of other bikes on here with apes. Go to their albums too.

I couldn't go back to stock. Much more comfortable with the apes. The angle they are adjusted to the forks will effect overall height, reach, and how much you can lean back and relax. I suggest trying a few locations to see where you like best.

Last year I bought a Sportster with 18" apes and love it. It's my poor mans chopper.

Vulcan handles about the same with the apes for me. Sportster harder to ride but a blast with the straight drag pipes. Different rides altogether even tho they are both cruisers.

Send me a PM if you can't find pictures or have any other questions.

Enjoy the apes man!!!!

·
quick learner
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finaly installed!

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Beautiful. Bike looks to be in great condition. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Makes my shoulder hurt just lookin' at it!

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
I love the way they look, especially with fringed grip and/or lever covers, which I have on my stock bars, but find them extremely uncomfortable. Never ridden with them, just sat on bikes with them. But, I have a limited range of motion in my arms due to muscle, tendon, and ligament damage. I was also unable to ride a Ninja 500 with low bars for very long without a lot of pain. The stock Vulcan bars are perfect for me, and so is the seat. I think what makes the Vulcan so comfortable overall is the relationship between the grips, the seat, and the pegs. Feels custom made for me.

Motion Pro is the place to go for custom cables, they can make anything, for a price. You also need a brake hose. Russell would be my choice for that. As for the wiring, it is time consuming, but that is something you can do yourself if you want. It's all color coded, just keep the same colors together. I would use all white wire for the extensions, and make every single splice in a different location, so you don't have a huge ball of splices in one place. Solder and shrink wrap everything. You can buy that black plastic conduit the wires are in, and cut it to the right length.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Can also try the chrome kind of loom, installs almost the same (real easy ), my buddy used it on his Shadow and I have used it on my classic Mini fog running light wires.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Personally I'm more impressed with the seat. Howd u get that to work with the 750? Flows beautifully!

·
quick learner
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Personally I'm more impressed with the seat. Howd u get that to work with the 750? Flows beautifully!
The seat was off of a VN1600 meanstreak and I had it reupolhstered and had the seat foam shaved back about 2" and down about 1 3/4" due to my long legs but it rides smooth and is very comfy on long rides...my back hurts before my butt but only cuz I have a horrible lower back

·
Registered
69 Posts
So whoever did the 12" ones first. Did the factory lines work and do you happen to still have the 12" apes and willing to part with them

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
The seat was off of a VN1600 meanstreak and I had it reupolhstered and had the seat foam shaved back about 2" and down about 1 3/4" due to my long legs but it rides smooth and is very comfy on long rides...my back hurts before my butt but only cuz I have a horrible lower back
Nice job on the bike. The seat looks great.

·
quick learner
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So whoever did the 12" ones first. Did the factory lines work and do you happen to still have the 12" apes and willing to part with them
Our stock bars are about 10" and I did the 13" ones off of J&P cycle and liked them but I wanted something a bit more "over the top"...quite literally! but the stock cable lengths did work fine you just will have to re-route them a bit so they dont bind

1 - 20 of 20 Posts