Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you who haven't see this, what follows is a webpage (with an embedded Dragon ride video) of a guy who does a multi-state tour on a VN750. As you might guess, it's a pretty interesting read.

He almost makes it back home, except that his rear splines give up the ghost, due to lack of maintenance and proper lubrication.

If he had only checked & lubed his splines b4 leaving home, he could have made it back ok (or discovered & repaired the problem)....:BLAM:

This post is not really meant to be in any way critical, as he may simply have not been aware of this general problem in the first place.

As of this writing, the following link for the webpage works, so here it is:

http://jr_allas.tripod.com/documents/EC2004.htm

At the time of this writing, the link inside the above for the video didn't work, so for the benefit of VN750 riders who'd like a sample of "the Dragon", you might try the following link, instead (if you watch this video, be careful...as your musical tastes may not match that of the guy who posted it):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1084590140681599874#docid=-3313555493041453229

The moral to this story is obvious: for those VN750 owners here who have not already done so, check and lube your driveshaft's splines (and the sooner, the better)!!!!!!...:mad:

Also: be sure to ask for and use a "moly" paste that's designed for just such an application, too (like the Honda brand moly paste).

·
Registered
796 Posts
Cool vid. I need to get something like that camera set up on my scoot. The song was awsome. "Shine On" by Van Halen w Sammy Haggar. Great toon.

On a side note 80 VRA (Vulcan Riders Association) members had their annual rally at the Kickstand Lodge on 7/15-17/2010 and rode the Dragon. Awsome pics and vids from them as well.

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
Makes me want to ride the Dragon even more! Kinda scary watching the tire cross those double yellows from time to time.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I forgot to mention earlier--in the "Dragon" video, he really doesn't start on the real "Dragon" part until about 4:20 into the video--when he passes the resort/campground.

Then things start to get "busy".....:D

For those new to the forum & the bike--you can find out a lot more about how to lube your Vulcan 750 splines by searching "the Verses" sub-forum (look there under "Maintenance"), and especially by reading the link in Fergy's signature--his procedure there is up-to-date & is a very nice detailed description (with great pix) on it.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Cool vid. I need to get something like that camera set up on my scoot. The song was awsome. "Shine On" by Van Halen w Sammy Haggar. Great toon.

On a side note 80 VRA (Vulcan Riders Association) members had their annual rally at the Kickstand Lodge on 7/15-17/2010 and rode the Dragon. Awsome pics and vids from them as well.
The name of the song is Humans Being by VanHagar (sorry I am a David Lee Roth fan). It is from the Twister soundtrack and was one of the new cuts on the greatest hits album.

So that is the infamous dragon, it looks cool but being from rural north east Tennessee (GO BIG ORANGE!!!!) it also looks like a lot of other roads. From the house I grew up in it was 45mins to an hour to the nearest 4 lane highway. Lots of switchbacks, very little guardrail I learned to drive and ride on roads like the dragon. If you are handy with a map you can find many roads like this in east Tennessee (GO BIG ORANGE!!!!), western North Carolina, and southeast Kentucky. But by all means explore, have fun, and never out ride yours or the bikes abilities.

·
Registered
796 Posts
The name of the song is Humans Being by VanHagar (sorry I am a David Lee Roth fan). It is from the Twister soundtrack and was one of the new cuts on the greatest hits album.
My bad. I have'nt heard the song for a while and the CRS kicked in. lol

I'm also a David Lee Roth fan. Van Halen just isn't the same without him.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
My bad. I have'nt heard the song for a while and the CRS kicked in. lol

I'm also a David Lee Roth fan. Van Halen just isn't the same without him.
Three words here,Better with Sammy!But I listen to a little of every thing So I can live with David Lee Roth, Hey V JOE I still think your bike is awful close to UK Blue,LOL

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Three words here,Better with Sammy!But I listen to a little of every thing So I can live with David Lee Roth, Hey V JOE I still think your bike is awful close to UK Blue,LOL
Thats messed up, but it settles it it will be Volunteer orange next summer.:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I have taken more than one 2 week trip on my Vulcan 750, without any problems. But of course I'm onto the spline lube thing. It was well publicized on the VN750 Yahoo Groups forum long before this forum ever existed. While I consider this to be a combination design/assembly problem (other shaft drive bikes simply don't have the spline issue to anywhere near the degree that the Vulcan 750 does) It is something to be taken seriously if you have a Vulcan 750, which is why I keep harping on it so much. I would even go so far as to put a link to it at the top of the forum main page, in big bold letters, requesting all new forum members and new Vulcan 750 owners to read first, before anything else. I consider the spline lube issue to be the Vulcan 750's number one problem, followed by the stator, balancer, and cam chain tensioners. The problem with the spline thing is that no symptoms show up until it is already to late.

As for what kind of grease to use, I'm not sure it makes much difference. I do my splines every 10,000 miles, or very close to it, and have used several different types of grease, including BelRay waterproof grease, which does not contain ANY moly. I packed the splines well, and they were still packed well 10,000 miles later. While moly is good stuff, I think the main thing is to keep the splines well packed in grease. Moly is fine, but use a lot of it, and use it often. After 46,000 miles, my splines show no signs of wear at all. Jerry.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
splines

I have taken more than one 2 week trip on my Vulcan 750, without any problems. But of course I'm onto the spline lube thing. It was well publicized on the VN750 Yahoo Groups forum long before this forum ever existed. While I consider this to be a combination design/assembly problem (other shaft drive bikes simply don't have the spline issue to anywhere near the degree that the Vulcan 750 does) It is something to be taken seriously if you have a Vulcan 750, which is why I keep harping on it so much. I would even go so far as to put a link to it at the top of the forum main page, in big bold letters, requesting all new forum members and new Vulcan 750 owners to read first, before anything else. I consider the spline lube issue to be the Vulcan 750's number one problem, followed by the stator, balancer, and cam chain tensioners. The problem with the spline thing is that no symptoms show up until it is already to late.

As for what kind of grease to use, I'm not sure it makes much difference. I do my splines every 10,000 miles, or very close to it, and have used several different types of grease, including BelRay waterproof grease, which does not contain ANY moly. I packed the splines well, and they were still packed well 10,000 miles later. While moly is good stuff, I think the main thing is to keep the splines well packed in grease. Moly is fine, but use a lot of it, and use it often. After 46,000 miles, my splines show no signs of wear at all. Jerry.
I am coming up on 15000 mile mark on my splines lube. Should i do them? or wait for my tires to need changing?

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
I think it comes down to how comfortable you are with the risk. I'm at 11,000 miles and the rear tire appears to have a few thousand left. I used 73% moly when I put the tire on and lubed the splines. I'm justifying waiting until the tire needs replacing to relube based on a couple of factors; high moly content in the grease I used and the splines were dry as a bone from the factory and had no significant damage in over 6,000 miles. But I'm gonna be real unhappy if I'm proved wrong!

·
Yahoo VN750 Group Owner
261 Posts
That's JR (Ralph) Allas. I know him and have ridden with him a number of times. He also took a trip from IL out to California back in 1995 (?) I think, and had a really great write-up about that trip. We went to The Gathering at Table Rock Lake together back in 2005. The guy who rescued him in Lexington when his splines failed was Keith "Mother" Coon, who also rode a VN750 and was killed about a year later in a motorcycle accident. Spearheaded by JR, our VN750 Yahoo Group took up a collection and purchased a brick at the Motorcyclist Memorial in Hopedale, OH for Keith. I took a trip out that way later on and took a picture of it.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Is there something similar to the Dragon's Tail but to the South West of the Country?

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
That's JR (Ralph) Allas. I know him and have ridden with him a number of times. He also took a trip from IL out to California back in 1995 (?) I think, and had a really great write-up about that trip. We went to The Gathering at Table Rock Lake together back in 2005. The guy who rescued him in Lexington when his splines failed was Keith "Mother" Coon, who also rode a VN750 and was killed about a year later in a motorcycle accident. Spearheaded by JR, our VN750 Yahoo Group took up a collection and purchased a brick at the Motorcyclist Memorial in Hopedale, OH for Keith. I took a trip out that way later on and took a picture of it.
When i heard that Keith had died in a sudden random veering across the road accident ..it was sad. Especially after reading the fun trip that guy had been on...except for the splines...

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
JR is a member here I think, I have ridden with him before. He still has the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
Is there something similar to the Dragon's Tail but to the South West of the Country?
The Twisted Sisters are in Texas. Think Kimmerling is going there soon.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Yup. Twisted sisters is voted #1 motorcycle ride in texas! You should do it! I plan on it this coming week....they recommend no newbies ...but im going to do it!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
hmm I'll have to look that up... Anything in Arizona or California? I'm not planning on riding something like that any time soon, but it's nice to know what's near :) I do have a mountain with lots of twisties very near me, but it's a tall mountain!! One mistake and I fall from way up high lol.

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
hmm I'll have to look that up... Anything in Arizona or California? I'm not planning on riding something like that any time soon, but it's nice to know what's near :) I do have a mountain with lots of twisties very near me, but it's a tall mountain!! One mistake and I fall from way up high lol.
Tall mountains are just like short mountains...you just scream longer. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts