Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just replaced the stator and r/r i am getting 12.6 at idle but i get over 15 volts while riding. what would cause the volts to go over 15 volts. and is this a bad thing?

·
Registered
856 Posts
15 volts is about the maximum you want to see while above 2-3k RMP. if your reading 15.1V as your max, I THINK that should be OK. this slightly higher reading could be due to a small inaccuracy/error in the voltmeter that you are using. If possible, double check and compare it with a second meter?

·
Registered
856 Posts
are you running the stock R/R, or did you swap it for something like the Mosfet R/R

What about the stator? Using a stock/OEM, or did you source one elsewhere?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no running the stock r/r the volts will clime to 15.9 dont know if it will go any higher cause i pull the the clutch so it returns to 12.6

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'd say not good. Something is definitely off there. If you haven't already, I'd go through a thorough electrical system test.

here is a link to the thread Slimvulcanrider started awhile back with an attached doc for the testing procedure.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21206

My best guess without seeing any values would be that the R/R is malfunctioning.

Also, is this a stock/OEM stator? Or one made for higher output? I'm wondering: If its a high output stator (such as the rewound ones from Tim Parrot) if the stock R/R can handle it properly.

·
Registered
856 Posts
A high output stator is still limited to the r/r output. So if you out in a TPE stator rated at 50 amps, but still use the stock r/r rated at 30 amps, you will see a high voltage of about 14.6 volts DC

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
OK, Thanks. That's what I was thinking, just wanted to confirm.

So with him seeing well over 15V DC, my first thought would be that the regulator isn't quite doing its job properly. (of course I could be way off on that) therefore my recommendation to do the full system check to hopefully identify where the issue is at.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
could also be a bad feedback wire to the R/R.

I forget which wire it is going into the R/R right now, but it compares battery voltage and regulates accordingly. if the wire was open, I think the R/R would give max output.

·
Registered
856 Posts
could also be a bad feedback wire to the R/R.

I forget which wire it is going into the R/R right now, but it compares battery voltage and regulates accordingly. if the wire was open, I think the R/R would give max output.
I do believe that it is the brown wire that is the monitor wire.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
NDR you are correct, but usually when the monitor wire isn't giving a propper reading, the R/R maxes out at 18 volts... that leads me to bielive a bad R/R ground.. which is the little bullet connector (Black/Yellow) wire attaching to the battery frame grounding bolt.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
High voltage is usually a bad connection at the frame to battery ground... I have a tooth infection so it's hard for me to think

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
He is right about this , a loose or floating ground on a R/R will cause higher thn normal out put voltages:beerchug:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts