Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting apes on an all black 04 vulcan 750 and can't seem to find new cables to replace the shorter old cables with. Anyone know where I could find said cables and at a decent price? Also, where can I find 1" switches will fit my bike. It seems that everywhere I have asked they say I need costume switches.

Thank you

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Contact motion pro for the cables, bars are 7/8" so you'll need to use something to shim the 1" switches......sometimes people are looking for answers not criticism ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I have searched motion pro and have found cables just don't know which are compatable for my bike. It's my 1st bike if that helps u understand why I'm a bit ignorant, so this is a learning experience for me. Also Ive kind of "customized" my risers, brake reservoir mount, and clutch mount to fit NYC copper 1" bar (regarding the switches). Couldn't really find 7/8 bar with the style I was looking for

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Stock bars have an 8" rise, and I believe you can go up to 14" (may have to splice/add length to the kill switch & starter wires)without having to order new cables an such. Just add the extra length you have an call motion pro and tell them you need them FOR EXAMPLE 6" over the stock length and they already have the Vn750's stock length on their data base. I have worked with them in the past, good company! If you didn't have your custom risers on stocks should still work, so whatever extra length your risers add, way 2" tell them you need 2" over stock, or maybe 3.5 for a little added wiggle room.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great information! THANKS to the both of you. I don't care really about smart comments as long as it's followed with useful info.:smiley_th I'll post a pic when it's done.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Stock bars have an 8" rise, and I believe you can go up to 14" without having to order new cables an such. Just add the extra length you have an call motion pro and tell them you need them FOR EXAMPLE 6" over the stock length and they already have the Vn750's stock length on their data base. I have worked with them in the past, good company! If you didn't have your custom risers on stocks should still work, so whatever extra length your risers add, way 2" tell them you need 2" over stock, or maybe 3.5 for a little added wiggle room.
Could the existing bars be raised with some kind of extender/riser bars? Also it doesn't lookto me that the master cylinder fluid line could be raised more than a few inches without adding a new line or extending the existing one.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
I think raised risers are made for the7/8" bars.yes you can get longer front brake lines.need one for my gs but I had one lying around

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
Could the existing bars be raised with some kind of extender/riser bars? Also it doesn't lookto me that the master cylinder fluid line could be raised more than a few inches without adding a new line or extending the existing one.
Yes, you can get 7/8" risers for stock bars. I also plan on getting 14" bars in the future. Slim has 14" apes on his scoot and used the stock equipment.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Yes, you can get 7/8" risers for stock bars. I also plan on getting 14" bars in the future. Slim has 14" apes on his scoot and used the stock equipment.
Yup, but it wasn't easy... took a lot of thought into how to position everything. I also don't have the stock gauges or controls. I am running an Acwell diddigital dash, Honda CX 500 Hand Controls, with modified switches, and the stock brake master cylinder with Honda CX brake line from the master cylinder to the junction block. the CX Brake line is actually about 1/2" shorter than our stock one, but it had a longer fitting for the banjo bolt allowing me to clock it perfectly. The stock brake hose worked, but I didn't like how tight it was.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
14" apes are readily available in 7/8" diameter. But you would need all new cables, and the brake line that goes to the junction on the triple clamp. You would also need to extend all the wires. You can get the cables from Motion Pro, but they are NOT cheap. You can get the brake hose from Russel. The wiring is a do it yourself job.

I don't know what kind of modifications you have already made, but if 7/8" bars no longer fit, you are on your own. Harleys have 1" bars, as do a few Japanese cruisers. I have no idea what "costume"switches are.

You might find what you need here https://www.denniskirk.com/cruiser-motorcycle/handlebars-and-controls

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
14" apes are readily available in 7/8" diameter. But you would need all new cables, and the brake line that goes to the junction on the triple clamp. You would also need to extend all the wires. You can get the cables from Motion Pro, but they are NOT cheap. You can get the brake hose from Russel. The wiring is a do it yourself job.

I don't know what kind of modifications you have already made, but if 7/8" bars no longer fit, you are on your own. Harleys have 1" bars, as do a few Japanese cruisers. I have no idea what "costume"switches are.

You might find what you need here https://www.denniskirk.com/cruiser-motorcycle/handlebars-and-controls
HERE is a list of all the stock handel bar dimensions... most new larger Japanese cruisers are running 1 to 1/12" bars now days.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well I actually just finished doing this about 3 weeks ago,,, and can tell you while rerouting the existing cables is possible,,, IMHO is makes things way to tight.

Call motion pro,, tell them you need the throttle push pull, clutch, and choke in +4 they will take care of the rest. The company is fantastic to deal with and the stuff they make is top notch.

As for the brake lines Get yourself a pair of the NEW stainless steel brake lines, again in a +4 they make a huge difference.. I also bypassed that Kawasaki Distribution bar thing and just ran two brake lines directly from the MC to the calipers. Makes bleeding much easier.

The electric will need to be extended as well,,Thanks to Wolfie I found a old junked vn750 and took the wires from that one. This way I could match the color scheme of the existing wires. Just cut them and solder in 4 extensions. Make sure you add heat shrink tubes to all of them to keep the joints clean and watertight.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
This reminds of something we used to do when I was an electrician. My twin would run a peice of romex from the attic and fish it down to me. The noobie would be standing over me watching and learning. I'd get the wire about 4 inches from the gang-box and stop. I'd yell to my brother, "Yo, I need about 8 more inches!" and he'd reply, "that's all we got, did we measure wrong!?" I'd turn to the noober and say, "go out to the truck and get the wire-stretcher. It's a long, green cylindrical thing we use to stretch wire - hurry up." He'd run outside and I'd yank the rest of the wire and hook up the receptacle. He'd be out there for an hour looking for that wire stretcher that doesn't exist - it was awesome. :D

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
This reminds of something we used to do when I was an electrician. My twin would run a peice of romex from the attic and fish it down to me. The noobie would be standing over me watching and learning. I'd get the wire about 4 inches from the gang-box and stop. I'd yell to my brother, "Yo, I need about 8 more inches!" and he'd reply, "that's all we got, did we measure wrong!?" I'd turn to the noober and say, "go out to the truck and get the wire-stretcher. It's a long, green cylindrical thing we use to stretch wire - hurry up." He'd run outside and I'd yank the rest of the wire and hook up the receptacle. He'd be out there for an hour looking for that wire stretcher that doesn't exist - it was awesome. :D
That's just cold. My first city job was a manufacturing job. 3 welders decided I needed hazing. First they sent me after spots for the spot welder. Then it was 'nubbin' oil. I just figured it was dues to be paid. They never stopped until I stopped it.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I've never had a blue collar job were I wasn't hazed in some way. Landscaping, plowing, electrician, trash collecting, even lifeguarding. You name it - I got hazed.

I remember when I first started at Widener University as a maintenance guy, one of the guys was showing me the 4th floor of Old Main, the main building on campus. The floor was unused and just had a bunch of old desks and graffiti. He said, "go on up the spiral stair case there, that'll need to be cleared out too," so up I go. I notice giant cone-like structures on the wall facing inward toward me. I move over to one to try to figure out what it was. JUST as I notice they're the giant campus bells I look at my watch - it's 9:59. That was the loudest noise I've ever heard. I come sprinting down the spiral stair-case holding my ears to 3 more maintenance guys laughing there asses off. Awesome. :)

·
Dr. Vulcanstein
1,536 Posts
I've never had a blue collar job were I wasn't hazed in some way. Landscaping, plowing, electrician, trash collecting, even lifeguarding. You name it - I got hazed.

I remember when I first started at Widener University as a maintenance guy, one of the guys was showing me the 4th floor of Old Main, the main building on campus. The floor was unused and just had a bunch of old desks and graffiti. He said, "go on up the spiral stair case there, that'll need to be cleared out too," so up I go. I notice giant cone-like structures on the wall facing inward toward me. I move over to one to try to figure out what it was. JUST as I notice they're the giant campus bells I look at my watch - it's 9:59. That was the loudest noise I've ever heard. I come sprinting down the spiral stair-case holding my ears to 3 more maintenance guys laughing there asses off. Awesome. :)
You guys have probably heard this before, but its still funny. I was changing out the oil and fuel filters on a D-6 CAT bulldozer and was offered one of the laborers to help me. I'm in the side door of the engine compartment elbow deep with dirt & grime and yell to the newbie, "grab me that dikfor" ,he bit in and yells back, "what the hell is a dikfor"? Laughingly I reply ,"if you don't know what a diks for you must have one unhappy Ol Lady. He tried to pull that on about 4 different guys over the next two days, all whom have already heard that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts